What's new

.... northernExposure!

....let's get started. I'm an every other day shaver, my face feels great after 2 days growth getting mowed. I have a '56 TTO that I could use on off days, with a Gillette Silver Blue under the hood, and it's plenty mild enough for me. So why not just use that? What fun is there in that...

Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Karve w/C Plate
Bolzano
Zenith Chubby Scrubby 28mm Boar
The Goodfella's Smile Lemon Mint
Lucky Tiger Aftershave and Face Tonic
Myrsol F/Extra

Italian soap maker once again this evening!
Second appearance for the hog! Still a bit scritchy and being a bigger knot, it's not quite ready for maximum agitating on the old mug. Nice brush.
Chased on the neck and paid for it tonight. Hardware and software got along well...Magnificent!

IMG_20200902_200940.jpg

Friday, September 4, 2020

Shower

B&M Seville Bar Soap
Layrite shampoo
Layrite Conditioner
Lucky Tiger Face Wash

Shave

Blackland Blackbird
Bic Platinum
Zenith Scrubby Chubby 28mm Boar
Boellis Panama 1924 Soap
Stonefield Aviatrix Pre-Shave Bar
Myrsol Blue Aftershave
Boellis Panama 1924 Aftershave Balm

Can't get enough of these Italian shaves.
Great product Boellis, longevity in the market, light scent and great post shave feel.

The shower players never get enough credit! They play a very important role, mentally, in my shaving routine. Refreshing to say the least. Last use of the Seville soap, a good 3 weeks out of it so no complaints. Really enjoying the bar soaps of late as I used to be just a body wash character for soooo long.
Layrite shampoo and conditioner leaves my hair squeaky clean. Have some shampoo bars I'd like to try so might shelf this pair for a bit. Have some interesting hair products on the way as well from Antiqua Barbaria Colla.
Lucky Tiger Face Wash does what it says, and does it well with a nice scent to go along. Great prep tool.

Blackbird in the rotation for the next 3 shave's!
Bic Platinum to sheer away the stubble, a first with this blade. Need to experience some different blade manufacturers on this journey, with some on order looking forward to see if I can tell any difference...

Stonefield's Aviatrix Pre-Shave gets the nod for a pre-shave application this evening......

Zenith's Chubby Scrubby boar is breaking in nicely, hairs should be splitting by the end of the month. I like the height of this knot for a boar, not floppy at all.....

Panama 1924 scent....

Myrsol Blue and 1924 balm sealed the deal for the evening. Great shave once again, maybe Italian again on Sunday....

IMG_20200903_200738.jpg

Best of the day to all

Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Rex Ambassador 2.2
Gillette 7'o'clock
Zenith Chubby Scrubby 28mm boar
Stonefield's Aviatrix Pre-Shave Bar
Mitchell's Wool Fat
PAA Sandalwood
Nivea Sensitive Skin Balm

IMG_20200909_204506.jpg

...the Rex is back after being lent to a friend of mine to take for a spin. Enjoyed a DFS in 3 passes and left it at that. Too many wounds lately trying for BBS.
The Zenith Boar has been in the fridge since Sunday evening to accelerate the split end procedure. Really like this brush a lot. I have 2 more Zenith boar's on the way, also plundered off the Bay of E. Having been in the plumbing trade for some time, this one is in copper. A Paragon boar will be occupying a spot in the fridge for a few days and we will see how that works out.
The Marco's method is forefront this evening. Have never tried this way of lathering so here goes....
Didn't do so good here as I would have liked. I ended up with ok lather from the Fat but not quite satisfied. New boar perhaps, just came out of a refrigerated 3 day bath! Also, I noticed I couldn't keep the puck from spinning in the jar and I felt that it wasn't letting me "bite" into the soap. Friday I will try it with the Boellis Panama 24 or Cella to see if not spinning is the culprit. The chubby scrubby is in drying mode as well. This is a big knot(28) and still pretty scritchy. Better luck next time....
Post shave.... magnificent. At the end of the day no nicks or cuts and face feels great.

Best of the day to all

Friday, September 11/ 2020

....Cella party tonight and everyone showed up for the festivities. What a great shave this evening, 2 passes set around 2.2 on the Ambassador was all that was needed and all I wanted to achieve. Going to dial it down to 2 and shave with this set up for a week, everyday!!
I know variety is the spice of life. Cella works well for me and it's more to work on the "Marco" way of loading and also to see if there's any irritation with shaving everyday! Weekend's will be variety for me, starting next week.
In the meantime I am going to enjoy this almond goodness....

IMG_20200911_200300.jpg

.... another evening of Cella goodness. 2.5 passes is getting the job done so let's stay there for the week. It's not BBS but DFS works for me.
My hogs are not quite there yet but close, definitely feeling a bit better on the old mug. The Zenith Chubby Scrubby is in drying mode so called in the Semouge 2000. Through the week the brushes will be rotated to allow drying. One thing is for certain they will be all boar's!
That's alot of lather going the Marco method route. Starting to get the hang of it but still need a ton of practice. Progress rather than perfection I always say! This little piggy is breaking in very nicely even though she's a bit unruly in appearance, face feel is like a cat's tail kinda feeling, extremely soft. Yet there's that great Cella scent, looming in the air throughout the shave, making it the star of the show once again. So much goodness in that little red jar....
The 7 O'Clock is not a very aggressive blade compared to the Bolzano IMO so it gets the nod tomorrow night. 3 passes is about my limit with any blade. Zero irritation should be noted on all 3 shaves with the 7 O'Clock. Perhaps a 3 pass with this blade??
The post shave kept it rolling along with that mesmerizing aroma. Just more Cella grooviness....

IMG_20200912_220958-1.jpg

Rex Ambassador (2.2)
Gillette 7 O'Clock (3)
Semouge 2000
Cella Preshave Gel
Cella Almond Shaving Cream
Cella Aftershave Lotion
Cella Aftershave Balm

Sunday, September 13/2020

Rex Ambassador
Bolzano (1)
Paragon 25mm Boar (Rav Handle)
Cella Preshave Gel
Cella Aftershave Lotion
Cella Aftershave Balm
IMG_20200912_203259.jpg

... another evening getting aquatinted with the little red tub, variety can take a back seat to this performer in my opinion.
New blade, new brush for Sunday's shave. Everything else is the same. Quite enjoying shaving everyday, no irritation at all and nick's and cut's are non-existent I really can't ask for anything better.
The Bolzano seems sharper to me than the 7 O'Clock, just sayin'! Paragon's Rav handled little piggy went through the refrigerator bath for 3 days and dried for 2 and is already feeling soft and luxurious on the old mug.
Great shave this evening, everything worked in harmony...

Monday, September 14/2020

Rex Ambassador
Bolzano (2)
Cella Preshave Gel
Cella Aftershave Lotion
Cella Aftershave Balm

IMG_20200913_215133.jpg

... halfway through Cella week and all is well in the land of marzipan. Same as yesterday except for the Zenith Boar which is also breaking in nicely. Diggin' the Marco method as well. Still dialing it in.
Great shave again this evening.

IMG_20200915_211207.jpg

September 16/2020

Rex Ambassador (2.2)
Bolzano (4)
Semouge Excelsior 1305 Boar
Cella Preshave Gel
Cella Aftershave Lotion
Cella Aftershave Balm

.....couldn't be better, excellent shave this evening. Everything worked in harmony once again!

Thursday, September 17, 2020

Rex Ambassador (2.2)
Bolzano (4)
Paragon 25mm Boar w/ Rav Handle
Cella Preshave Gel
Cella Aftershave Lotion
Cella Aftershave Balm

IMG_20200912_203259.jpg

.... It's been a great week with the Cella products. No issues. Could easily be a desert island pick for me. Of all the boars, this whisker agitator is my favorite, and it hasn't even started splitting yet! Smaller knot perhaps, definitely not as scritchy as the bigger knots.
Seem's to me these bigger knots aren't cut out for the Marco method, or possibly the shorter loft. Break in might produce a more favorable outcome.

Friday, September 18/2020

Rex Ambassador
Gillette 7 O'Clock (3)
Cella Preshave Gel
Cella Aftershave Lotion
Cella Aftershave Balm

IMG_20200911_200300.jpg

...I've spent a week with Cella and the Ambassador
and everything has went extremely well. I'm sorry to see it go but variety is the spice of life. It won't be too long before I return to the little red tub, that's a given.
Tonights shave was not using the Marco method. Instead straight to the tub with the Zenith and let the hog feed. Sure tore the tub up! Went with a 3 pass and cleanup to finish off with loads of lather left. Face feel is divine as well as the scent. Thanks Cella for a great week of shaves.
The weekend promises to be interesting. Lets go with a PAA product until Monday night. I think i will let the brass Karve do the swathing and possibly give the Badger's a feed.

Saturday, September 19/2020

.....avast me matey's it's "talk like a pirate day" which I totally forgot about so we are going with a single day setup for today with PAA on tap for the next few days.

IMG_20200919_201739.jpg

Karve Christopher Bradley C-plate
Treet Platinum (1)
Ever-Ready 3 Step, SHD 2 band, bulb, 26mm Badger Butterscotch and Sapphire
Lucky Tiger Face Wash
Rattlestick Fierce Preshave Cream
Chiseled Face Plunder Shave Soap
Chiseled Face Plunder Aftershave

Sunday, September 20/2020

....not sure about tonight's shave! Off for 10 days starting tomorrow, on the road most of it. Really want to try the PAA Lo Haiku but don't want to carry it around with me.

Karve Christopher Bradley w/B-plate
Treet Platinum(2)
Thater 4125/3 (ivory)
(28mm Silvertip Badger)
Stonefield Aviatrix Pre-Shave Bar
PAA Lo-Haiku CK6 formula
PAA Lo-Haiku Aftershave

IMG_20200919_205104.jpg

that went well. Everything is good. Very nice shave indeed! Great scent on this one. I remember the commercials, I would have been 9 or 10 maybe! Dad had it for awhile.
A good splash to combine with any straggler soaps without matching aftershave in the inventory.

Tuesday, September 22/2020

...made it home to my own bed yesterday afternoon, picked up some great item's that were waiting for me at the post office.
Home is a 5 foot claw foot tub and I soaked it up this morning. Really soft water here and I epsom salt the hell out of it for my achy muscles.

IMG_20200926_083224.jpg

Blackland Blackbird SB 85 mm (machined)
Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Stirling Tuxedo Synthetic
Chiseled Face's Panda shave soap
Floid Vigaroso Mentholated (Vintage SE)

Wasn't going to shave but ended up lathering up the old mug with the collaboration of Zoologist and Chiseled Face's "Panda". Nice silky lather conjured up with the Stirling tux knot, the scent is familiar but I can't put my finger on it. Great shave indeed. The Blackbird took only 2 passes with a GSB under the hood and left me more than satisfied.

IMG_20200926_083328.jpg

Saturday, September 26,2020

.....great shave this morning! Slept in and ran a bath, coffee in hand crawled into the tub for a seldom done morning bath and shave.
Two Kings is a regal offering from Noble Otter....
Gotta clean my gear from the pic lol, got some Barbercide need to dilute and ready to go probably Monday....

IMG_20200927_185239.jpg

Sunday, September 27,2020

.....what a beautiful scent on this and very easy to load, scooped a good amount into a small bowl then covered with water until preshave ritual was completed, dumped and loaded the brush from there.
Can't say enough on the scent on this peaches peaches peaches mmmmm....
Hazelet's Apothecary's SoCo1888 worked perfect with this soap but need to get the matching scent on this one....

Monday, September 28/2020

....... Soloist by a collaboration between WCS/Zingari Man....

IMG_20200928_104843~2.jpg

Blackland Blackbird SB 85 mm Machined
Treet Falcon (1)
Stirling 24mm synthetic
Lucky Tiger Face Wash
WCS/Zingari Man Soloist Shave Soap
Hazeletts Apothecary SoCo Moon
La Toja Balm

... great shave this evening. SoCo Moon put me off a bit. A medicinal scent that seems familiar.

Tuesday, September 29/2020

... Mitchell's Wool Fat on tap this evening, using the Marco's method of lathering. Soaked up enough suds for a 2 pass shave. MWF feels great on the old mug, that lanolin effect I guess. Finished it with some Lucky Tiger aftershave and was left with a great shave with no cuts or redness.

IMG_20200929_202846.jpg

Wednesday, September 30,2020

.... growing up in my small rural hamlet, the community undertook the building of a new community hall. That winter we sawed lumber at a local mill and stacked it until spring, then erected the hall that summer. Great times, the Timberyard scent reminds me of the aroma in and around a saw mill and well, lumber....

IMG_20200929_203444.jpg

I'm getting a good handle on the Ambassador now. 2 pass shaves are allowing me to shave daily which is a pleasure. Definatley more than good enough. Great shave all around. I could have maybe got to much H2O in the beginning but it evened up quickly. Great product line from this Local talent. An aftershave splash would be a nice addition to the lineup, just sayin'.....

Rex Ambassador
Treet Falcon (1)
Moon Black Pearl synthetic
Lucky Tiger Face Wash
PAA Original Cube preshave
Bartigan and Stark Timberyard Shave Soap
Bartigan and Stark Timberyard Aftershave Balm
Thayer's Cucumber Witch Hazel

Top Bottom