What's new

North, South, East, West?

I've read North-South, than an East-West, and a South - North only if you can do it without Razor burn, nicks, killing yourself, etc..........Trumper's states unequivically only North-South (maybe twice for a closer shave) OK - it's time to throw this out to the forum! I'm confused..........................I just want a simple formula for a good wet shave! Soooo? Help me out guys. :confused:

Futur
Derby Blades
Futur Brush
Tom's or Poraso

Ok. Here's a simple formula that'll get you started.
Pass 1: go with the grain
Pass 2: go accross the grain (some divide this into to diagonal acrross the
grain passes)
Pass 3: go against the grain (only where tolerated)
Clean up pass: Run wetted fingers over your face to find any rough areas
needing a touch up; usually accross or against the grain.

This system is the basis for 90% of all of the different senarios you'll see described.
From this starting point you can make adjustments to fit your face's needs.
As with all things...YMMV.:smile:

Here's another thought.

Try anything and everything.

Then...

Use what works best for YOU!!

There is no rhyme or reason, what works for some people won't work for others. I personally like shaving "against the grain" with every stroke, but I don't get the razor burn others complain of, plus I shave in the shower (if you didn't know that already), others shave in front of the sink.

AACJ said:
Here's another thought.

Try anything and everything.

Then...

Use what works best for YOU!!

:lol: Yup! That keeps things pretty simple.:lol:

My problem is that I can really only remember about 4 or 5 things at a time so every time I learn a new technique I forget one of my "old" techniques.:tongue1:

Tony,
The whole N-S, E-W, S-N thing is a good place to start, but once you get going you will find what works best for you. No two men's beard are the same and their technique will not be either. It's all about what will work best for you. It's a long but pleasant journey--the quest for the perfect, reproducible shave.

Welcome to the board dude!

I concur with the other experienced folks on the board here; get to know the grain of your own face by experimentation and experience.

You can get wrapped up in N, E, W, S passes. I've found that my last pass should go against the grain and on different parts of my face that could mean S to N while 1/2" away it can mean E to W

Top Bottom