What's new

NOOOB! PW Techs, madness!

I was primed to fall into this some day. I am a rabbit-hole-aholic.

I've had a functional system of shaving a few times a week with Gillette Good News disposables and lathered up Edge for ages, never got too fussed about the process, if anything I have grown bored with it. Too many decades of shaving.

But it was coming time to get more razors, and I don't like the trends in common commercial razors, so I started to look into DE ones. I became interested in vintage. I fell into the rabbit hole. I learned, I took notes, I collected opinions, I looked for trends. I quickly decided on a grail even though I have no business doing so since I haven't used a DE yet.

I decided to get a pre-war Tech to start out with. Found a beat but probably functional one for cheap. Then I found a nicer one for a not terribly inflated price and couldn't resist, so I have two on the way which sort of destroys the whole "start out cheap" thing. Why a pre-war Tech vs. a later one? My hope is that the audible feedback some report will help me develop my technique quickly, even though I'll have slightly greater chances for imperfect outcomes.

I have dutifully ordered supplies from Maggard, will be trying out Kai, Personna Blue, Astra Platinum, Voskhod, and Bic blades, and a few soap and cream samples. Got one of their synthetic brushes. I think I will start out face lathering.

I wonder if this is a bit of madness. My previous shaving habits were so frugal that I think it will take me years to amortize even my small initial outlay and come out ahead. But my packages arrive this week. :001_cool:

Welcome to B&B.
My previous shaving habits were so frugal that I think it will take me years to amortize even my small initial outlay and come out ahead.
You have made a start but achieving good technique takes a little time. I have not used a Tech but they are good razors from what I have heard and work well with correct technique. Don't buy any more razors till you learn to use the Tech. I wish someone gave me that advise when I bought my first razor.:001_rolle
Remember, the return will come in years time when you will only need to buy a few blades and a soap or two.

Welcome!

I currently have 4 Gillette Techs (PW, 50's French, 60's travel, black plastic handle on the way) and a clone plus have placed an offer on a post war NDC Tech online today!

But still...two cheap Techs are still relatively cheap and you can always sell one or pass it along to another person.

Can't go wrong with a Tech!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Welcome to the forum!

Now that you have pre war Techs inbound, you might try a post war while you're at it.

Thanks all!

Now that you have pre war Techs inbound, you might try a post war while you're at it.

I would not mind having one, and in fact probably after a while I won't be able to resist if a nice one pops up for cheap while I am searching for a rarity against Invicta's excellent advice.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Techs are fabulous razors. I have heaps of them. Love them all. The earlier ones are the best though.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Tech fan here as well. I have a couple dozen or so. I love the post war Late 40’s Tech with the oval slots personally. The real rabbit hole starts when you discover the British Flat Bottom and the Hybrid Techs. That’s when I sunk in deep! 🤪

Welcome! I don't have a Tech; being attracted more to software than hardware I haven't stepped in that pile. But it sounds like you're off to a great start. What Invicta stated is crucial . . . try your best to stick with one setup until your technique comes along, then feed the AD beast.

BTW, really like the moniker 'Causality'. Must be the geek in me.

By the time I got my first Tech, I already had been shaving with a Slim Twist for several years, along with a Krona & occasionally with a couple of family heirloom straights. I also had an Old Type that shaved well for me. The Tech was smooth and effortless and I didn't give any thought about pressure or correct head angle, it all just naturally fell together. Today I've got a good accumulation of Pre and Post War Techs, Ball Handles and Fat Handles, a couple of plastic/bakelite handles, and even some Chinese Tech knockoffs - they all give close, smooth and easy shaves. My favorite Tech is a Pre War Fat handle that shaves every bit as well as one of my Old Types or New SC's.
A while ago, I bought a Pre War mainly for the handle. It looked like the head had been buried with Grandpa, then exhumed a dozen years later. The nickel had worn off & the brass was all nasty green. The safety bars were badly pitted. I cleaned it up enough to do a test shave before tossing the head & putting the handle on something else. It shaved as new & was impressive enough that I cleaned it down to shiney brass & re-nickeled it. It still looks kinda ugly, but it shaves with the best of them.

All Techs to post.jpgPrewar Fathandle Tech  like new.jpgRe-nickled Bakelite Pre War 1.jpg

Attachments

• Re-nickled Bakelite Pre War 2.jpg
    Re-nickled Bakelite Pre War 2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • Re-nickled Bakelite Pre War 2.jpg
    Re-nickled Bakelite Pre War 2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to B&B. :)

The Pre-war Tech is a great razor - one of the best.

As @Esox stated, the Post-war Tech is another Tech to have in your Den. It offers slightly better blade support and will shave differently. Some folks prefer the Pre, some the Post.

The nice thing about Techs is that pretty much the same technique works with all of them: Shallow angle (ride the cap), low/no pressure. The goal is to remove some whiskers with each pass until you get the desired result. :)

Nice, mellow, shave - patience is your friend. :)

I can tell its madness because although my first shave was quite mediocre I'm not giving up and running back to my old system that works so well. Instead I double down, critique my prep, watch some videos, and will try again today.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I can tell its madness because although my first shave was quite mediocre I'm not giving up and running back to my old system that works so well. Instead I double down, critique my prep, watch some videos, and will try again today.

See if this helps:

My version, FWIW:
*Use a very sharp blade, such as a Feather or similar.
*Find the correct angle, the Tech only has very narrow effective angle and you have to stay in it, or nothing will get cut.
*Short, smooth strokes with minimal pressure

@Atlantic59 has got this pegged!

Take the time to prep your face and build a proper lather.
Keep your face hydrated and lathered for the main passes and touch-up.
Use a sharp blade. I favor Kai, Personna Israeli Platinum Red, Personna Med Prep, Feather, etc.
I would start with the handle perpendicular to your face and then pivot it down until you just feel the blade and the guard. It will be a shallow angle, riding mostly the cap.
**Take note because that is going to be very close to the correct angle.
Use little to no pressure. The goal is to reduce the stubble with each pass. Pressure is your enemy and leads to irritation. When buffing, take care to NOT use pressure.
Short strokes are good.
Patience is your friend.

YMMV

The Tech needs the shallowest angle you can get while still getting blade contact with your face.

Hope this helps. :)

Top Bottom