What's new

Noodler's Polar Blue

proxy.php

Blue is a notoriously difficult color to make particularly intense, at least in terms of an ink that will be suitable for a fountain pen. That, I think was part of the hoopla over Baystate Blue. It's a really intense and strong blue. Unfortunately, it also tends to stain pens and eats some pen's plastic feeds.

I'm kind of partial to Diamine Midnight Blue myself. It's a very dark blue. The color is strong without being overly saturated.

Blue is a notoriously difficult color to make particularly intense, at least in terms of an ink that will be suitable for a fountain pen. That, I think was part of the hoopla over Baystate Blue. It's a really intense and strong blue. Unfortunately, it also tends to stain pens and eats some pen's plastic feeds.

I'm kind of partial to Diamine Midnight Blue myself. It's a very dark blue. The color is strong without being overly saturated.

In 8 months or so, I will have to remember this! Thanks Foyle.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I added a bit of Polar Black to my Polar Blue, and came up with a much darker colour, but still blue ... well, more of a blue-black. It all depends on how much black you add (a little does a lot!!) to your blue. Get a sample from the Goulet's and you should have more than enough to experiment with.

Unless you're carrying a fountain pen in the Yukon in January, what's the point of a "polar" (i.e., freeze resistant) ink?

I added a bit of Polar Black to my Polar Blue, and came up with a much darker colour, but still blue ... well, more of a blue-black. It all depends on how much black you add (a little does a lot!!) to your blue. Get a sample from the Goulet's and you should have more than enough to experiment with.

Very interesting. I wonder if I could get away with mixing up some regular Noodler's black. Maybe I'll give it a whirl with a few ML for science!

Unless you're carrying a fountain pen in the Yukon in January, what's the point of a "polar" (i.e., freeze resistant) ink?

It's also waterproof, bleachproof, and UV light resistant. Purdy fancy! Plus, if I accidentally leave my pen in the car or something in January, no problem. Really, I just wanted to try some blue ink that was waterproof. The rest wasn't really considered.

Noodler's Polar Black demonstration.

I will check it out after work,.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Very interesting. I wonder if I could get away with mixing up some regular Noodler's black. Maybe I'll give it a whirl with a few ML for science!

Should be no problem, just it'll reduce the "polar" aspect (if that is important for you.)

Great video, but I felt bad for the poor guy with the shaking hands!

"This is all the time I have because I cannot feel my fingers, and I don't want to risk frostbite."

I'm glad it doesn't get that cold in Texas that I would need this ink.

Great video, but I felt bad for the poor guy with the shaking hands!

I'm glad it doesn't get that cold in Texas that I would need this ink.
That guy would be Mr. Nathan Tardiff, the owner, operator, and sole employee of Noodler's Inks. I think he ends up working about 27 hours per day, 365 days a year!

I personally like libertys elysium. Looks just like noodlers blue or blue eel but with the added bonus of being water resistant.

Top Bottom