What's new

Noodlers flex pen

Got mine today. Inked it with Black Swan in Austrailian Roses. So far, no big whoop. I guess I expected too much.

Good call, Robert. It seems I have to tweak the nib a little depending on the ink I'm using in mine. Makes a lot of difference and only takes a minute.

"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools" ;) I have my flex in hand and the first thing I did was fiddle with the nib, even though it's still dry.

After dinner (and after I do my homework. :p) I will be playing with it and the ink samples that I got. Pilot/Namiki Iroshizuku in three "blue" shades.

Anyone have tips on adjusting the nibs? I was playing with mine earlier and having a great time except for the fact that the nib starves out whenever I get to writing at any real clip!

Anyone have tips on adjusting the nibs? ... the nib starves out whenever I get to writing at any real clip!

Did you by chance read the piece of paper that was enclosed with the pen? Nathan specifically states that you need to slow your roll with these bad boys.

Also, they mentioned that these pens need to be pre-flushed to get ride of the machining fluids.

I find the nib breaks in a bit over time and gets slightly flexier.

The first run of Noodler's flex pens were about as crummy as their service. However, the improved feeds on the new ones made my recent purchase of a flex pen from isellpens.com a much nicer pen. A very nice pen, in fact.

Do a good flush and try it out.

It is kind of different going from my Pelikan Blue O Blue to the Noodler's flex. But you are talking a HUGE difference in price too. I wanted a fountain pen for my shipping table. It will get a lot of use and abuse. So for $14 I was happy to give it a try. All in all not bad. The nib is a little scratchy but that will change once I work it in, and maybe a little buffing to fit my writing. It is a little thin for my taste and I will likely try an Ahab when they come in. If you are expecting this pen to feel like an expensive pen when you write, then you will not be pleased. I do think that this pen will be a work horse. A pen that you won't be afraid to use or even abuse. I was able to get some nice shading right off the bat with some PR Spearmint. The green pen needed a green ink.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Thanks IPD Mr.

Your review pretty much confirms my guess that the pen might be a bit small for my comfort . . . but on the other hand somehow I want one. I too am waiting on the Ahab.

Thank you so much for the samples of Private Reserve ink that you contributed to our group buy B&B Limited Edition Edison pen.

I got the AZ from ISELLPENS a couple of months ago.. nice enough but I wouldn't get up and fool around hours to get one. it seems rather delicate to me. it does write first time every time loaded with Air Corp Blues even after sitting a couple of days.

I feel like I'm missing the attraction of these pens. Low end Platinum and Pilot pens look inexpensive but cool. I like the professional look that Japanese companies give to their pens that target student or office users. It might just be that I'm used to them--I've been buying and using disposable Pilots for casual use since the 80s. I haven't seen the Noodler's up close, but they have an "inexpensive but cheap looking" vibe to me. I like that the price point seems to fall between disposable FPs and entry level refillable pens like Lamys or Pilot Preras. It might be fun to fool around with a flex nib too. I'm just put off by the appearance of the pens in the on-line photos (more so than by rumors of past performance problems, but that's an issue too). I have two daughters who have both started to like FPs, so I have a vested interest in finding inexpensive pens that look nice, work well, and don't break everybody's hearts if they get lost. How do you guys who have the Noodler's already feel about them?

Are they a bit bigger than the original ones? I have big hands and was surprised how tiny the pen was. Not very comfortable to write with for more than a couple minutes.

I like that the price point seems to fall between disposable FPs and entry level refillable pens like Lamys or Pilot Preras. It might be fun to fool around with a flex nib too. I'm just put off by the appearance of the pens in the on-line photos (more so than by rumors of past performance problems, but that's an issue too). I have two daughters who have both started to like FPs, so I have a vested interest in finding inexpensive pens that look nice, work well, and don't break everybody's hearts if they get lost. How do you guys who have the Noodler's already feel about them?

I'm not in love with the appearance of these pens., but I got one since the price point is "just right" for something to screw around with and not be upset if I don't like it.

I haven't had much time to fiddle with mine, but I'm thinking that the flex might just be lost on me, since I'm not terribly coordinated. Mainly, I wanted to play with the flex, which is why I got one in the first place. I'm not going to be doing Spencerian script or Copperplate any time soon.

My impression of the flex is rather indifferent, but I haven't used on any decent paper yet. I like a pen that is heavier, as well as somewhat larger, but the Noodler's pens are both thin and light, which might not be bad for you. The nibs are on what I would call a fine-medium (finder than my Waterman medium).

Will I keep the Noodler's pens that I have? Probably, but they will not likely be everyday pens for me.

I don't think there are intended to be everyday writers. I have 3 now & I'm having quite a bit of fun playing with them. They require a fairly slow writing speed & lots of concentration. I have gotten some interesting results emulating my dip nibs & they really shine with some of the Noodlers shading inks (Black Swan series). They don't compare with my expensive flex nibs but I think they are fine at the price they are being sold. JMHO

Top Bottom