What's new

Noodler's Emergency: Clothes

As in three quarters of a bottle of Noodler's Black spilled on shirt, pants, and carpet. That was because I had overtightened the cap and it cracked, and when I dropped the bottle the cap gave way. I'm optimistic about the carpet, as it's synthetic fibers. But the shirt is flannel, the pants a cotton synthetic blend, and the T-shirt 100% cotton.

Yes, I'll be ordering replacement pants tonight.

They're all gone, gone, aren't they.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I hope you didn't try scrubbing them. Let cold water run through the stains for a few minutes. If you use warm or hot water, it'll expand the fibers, making the ink soak in more. I don't know if it'll save them, but it might (although I might be too late since the post is 45 minutes old!).

Bummer to hear.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
The bottle cracked when you overtightened the cap?

You must be one strong man.

I didn't know you were all that MACHO!

The bottle cracked when you overtightened the cap?

You must be one strong man.

I didn't know you were all that MACHO!

Not the bottle; the cap. Plastic caps are easy to break by overtightening. Wouldn't be surprised if that's why Texas Pete (tm) changed their cap design.

Anyway, it's clear the cap gave way along a fracture line.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Think Tie Die. Oh what wonders you can do with the wide variety of Noodler's inks.

Any luck?

None at all. On the bright side, this is proof the stuff is pretty much resistant to anything you throw at it. Cold water wash only knocked off the excess. What I found:

The pants are 60% cotton. Not surprisingly, roughly 40% of the ink came out. It's still black, but you can see some of the synthetic fibers clear on the surface. Washing only seems to have gotten the excess out of the 100% cotton T-shirt. The 100% cotton flannel shirt is a hard call, since it was a dark navy to start with.

The carpet, well I think something mechanical is going on. Blotting removed the excess, and soaking a spot in water brought more out. Since this is synthetic fiber, I still think that there's a good chance of removing most if not all of the ink.

Something similar with my hands. When they're rough, Noodler's stains them, and they're rough most of the time. It's just ink caught in the roughened skin. Lava (tm) soap and a bathcloth got most of it out. Incidentally, my wife and I realized that this is the very same bar of Lava (tm) we bought when we married decades ago.

Oh, yes: the wife. She didn't hit the ceiling, maybe because I immediately made efforts to clean it up. She didn't even flinch when I said I'd ordered a new bottle, and some new razor blades (if you're going to be in the doghouse, might as well go in style). I'm holding off ordering replacement pants until we check on the local WallyWorlds. I 'm not optimistic: while I found these pants in another WallyWorld, it was far from home. But, we'll see.

As for the pants, I'm really considering dying them black. Maybe the shirt and T-shirt, too. Otherwise, they're only fit to wear around home.

The take away is how to prevent this in the future. Obvious is to take care tightening the caps on inks - any inks, not just Noodler's. Seriously thinking of filling my pens over a sink or even outside. Don't want this to happen again.

Somehow, when I read the thread title, I didn't notice the colon. I read it as "Noodler's emergency clothes". That's actually not a bad idea. Sort of like a hazmat suit for handling Bay State Blue.

Amodex can be a lifesaver, but I'm not certain how effective it'll be on noodlers black. I've heard of good results, but haven't tried, myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somehow, when I read the thread title, I didn't notice the colon. I read it as "Noodler's emergency clothes". That's actually not a bad idea. Sort of like a hazmat suit for handling Bay State Blue.

I did briefly consider wearing a rain coat when loading pens from now on. Only briefly.

I think your only option is to look at this as a change to get a new wardrobe and carpet.

The reason I'm optimistic about the carpet is that it's synthetic. Noodler's bulletproof works on cellulose, which is why it works on cotton. It will also stain wood, for similar reasons. But it's wiping right off plastics.

The potential issue is whether it gets inside the fibers. This would be mechanical rather than chemical, like the stains on the rough parts of my hands. I'm hoping it can either "crumble," and work out (maybe not likely), or carpet cleaning solvent can remove it from the fibers since the fibers themselves aren't dyed.

The clothes, though, are right now only fit for painting. I am curious about Rit Dye Remover, if my wife will let me experiment in her kitchen. The only candidate for that is the T-shirt, but would be interesting to see. Even on the off chance that worked, it would remove all dyes, so the pants and shirt would look like I had a run-in with bleach.

The best salvage option for the clothes really does seem to be black dye. Already have two pair of black pants and wouldn't mind a third. A black T-shirt wouldn't be so bad, either; I wear a colored T-shirt under long sleeves on cold Saturdays so I'm still presentable should I have to remove my outer shirt for working. A black flannel shirt would probably be only around home.

FWIW, my wife found me a new pair of pants. She also found some items for herself. Quite a number of items.

Noodler's Black has a particulate in it, and that particulate is black, so that might be the remnant that's left in the carpet. It's very fine–almost a sooty substance. You have to physically wipe it off of pen parts. But it does wipe pff pretty easily. When flushing that ink out of a pen like a TWSBI, the pen looks prefectly clean until you run a Q-Tip through the barrel. Then all this black sooty stuff comes out. Having said that, you may be able to vacuum that stuff out of the carpet out once the patch of carpet dries.

Maybe a little resolve carpet cleaner wouldn't hurt.

Sorry to hear about that. I am always a little nervous when refilling my pen, and thankfully my kids have not gotten into the ink. However, my toddler did get ahold of my pen the other day and decided to add his contribution to my notes. The funny part was that he was upset when he realized he had purple ink on his fingers that would not simply wipe off.

Years ago, I had my office carpet steam cleaned. The fellow didn't know I used fountain pens. The carpet was light mushroom but kept spouting blue fountains whenever he'd hit it with water. When I returned after the weekend, the color was again mushroom, and he had fully earned his pay for the repeated treatments to get all the ink up.

I had no idea I'd spilled, flicked, dropped, splattered, etc., so much ink. He later told me what he had to do--repeatedly go back and hit it again. Oh my word did I cause him to work late.

That's funny. I think the same thought hit my mind for a brief moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom