What's new

Noobie first steps sorting out a new razor

Well I managed to set a bevel using lapping film on glass and then used balsa strops.

I got this razor off amazon, it's cheap but looks not bad and feels good in the hand.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B094ZBYVSV?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

I tried it when it first arrived, it wasn't anywhere near shave ready. Now it's fairly good, nowhere near as good as my professionally honed TI Le Grelot or Ralf Aust or Heljestrand.
But I did shave with it, it did the job to get a BBS finish and there was no pink lather. Needed careful extra pressure to cut compared to the above razors.
I felt a great sense of achievement, thanks to all those freely giving out great advice and guidance on this forum.
Really enjoying Str8 razor shaves now. Only resort to a DE these days for speed and tidying up around the goatee.

Cheers
Bas

Attachments

• 20211104_202407-picsay.jpg
    20211104_202407-picsay.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 11
Well done, it will only get better from now onwards. Very satisfying to hone and finish your own razor.

I am surprised about your purchase, personally I would't have touched it because I don't know it. Too many razor shaped objects than may look ok, but turns out to be impossible to hone. If it takes a good edge, its a real razor, and will only get better as your skills improve.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Well done, it will only get better from now onwards. Very satisfying to hone and finish your own razor.

I am surprised about your purchase, personally I would't have touched it because I don't know it. Too many razor shaped objects than may look ok, but turns out to be impossible to hone. If it takes a good edge, its a real razor, and will only get better as your skills improve.
Hear, hear. It looks like a RSO to me, too. Time, and a dozen shaves, will tell the story. After all, peeps used to call Gold Dollars and Gold Arrows RSOs, too.

Good going, Baz. Hope it continues to work out for you. Meanwhile you might consider a GD 208 or P81 for your next razor. Still cheap as dirt but probably a better razor.

Top Bottom