What's new

Noob would like opinions - Fat Boy or Progress

Hi Gents,

First post here. I found this site a few weeks ago while searching for DE razors/blades. Currently I'm alternating between a Braun electric and a Mach 3 Turbo, depending on what kind of time I have available. I'm tired of paying freaking $2.00/cartridge to the robber barons from Gillette, so I'm going to get a DE razor and blades. I'm trying to decide between finding a cleaned/sterilized Fat Boy from one of the sellers on "the auction site" or a new Merkur Progress. I like the idea of adjustability.

What do you think is the better value (and is shaveability about the same?) - around $25-30 for a vintage Fat Boy or $40 for a Merkur Progress? I went to my local Target over the weekend and got some Porarso products and got the C&E $35 best badger brush, and noticed a significant improvement in the shave with the Mach 3. Now, it's time to go for the DE, but I would like opinions if you would be so kind.

BTW, when I was in the Target, the experience was exactly like one of the threads I read here. I asked a girl stocker in the shaving area if they had Proraso products and was rewarded with a blank look and a "No, I don't think we carry that". Then, I asked her where the Spa section was, and she pointed me around the corner and a few aisles over. Viola, there it was in all it's green glory and I picked up pre shave cream, a tube of shave cream, and a bottle of after shave balm. If I had not read the helpful thread with the info on which section it was located in, I would not have been able to find it and buy. Thanks for that advice. It was funny that I had the exact same experience as the person who wrote the initial thread. Blank look from the stocker - apparently she had gone through the "brain remover" before she went to work.

Thanks in advance for all your opinions. One other thing - can someone point me to somewhere I can buy a blade sampler with Derby, Israeli Personna, Swedish Gillettes, etc., if something like this is available? I'm not asking for freebies - the only way I want them is to buy them. I would like to try a few different blades to see what works best for me.

Regards from hot, dry Texas,

Larry C

Greetings Larry. Send a PM to letterk (John) and he will hook you up nicely with the blade samplers. I found it to be very, very helpful myself. Re your other question, I have the briefest experience with the Fat Boy (two shaves now), but I find it to be an excellent razor, built like a tank, and I will be able to pass it down to my son I am sure. I have no experience with the Progress but many people say it is a fine razor. You will probably end up buying both anyway... :biggrin:

Dennis

I've heard that the HD is the way to start (heck, I started with it) but I'm finding, a month into The New Way, that the Gillette Adjustable works better for me...

YMMV!

Josh

ada8356 said:
Welcome Larry.

I can 100% recommend the Merkur HD Classic to start with. For a beginner DE shaver, it's pretty easy to handle and cheaper than the Progress.

Just my $0.02

Lets make that 4 cents (I'll add mine by agreeing)... that said, the progress is also a nice, usable razor.

Hello, Larry. Welcome to B&B.

Both razors, Progress and Fatboy, are excellent tools for the job. Though I would recommend beginning with a non-adjustable razor, you can certainly get great results from either of the aforementioned razors.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the FatBoy. It can be a very forgiving razor, and gives a great shave (take the advice often passed around here and keep it on a lower setting, 3 works great for me). I love mine so much, it is about the only razor I use!

I would also recommend that you look around and try to find one at thrift/antique shops. Or check eBay for non-sterilized ones. They are easy to clean up/sterilize/lubricate, so you can knock a great deal off the price by doing this yourself!

Kyle said:

Both razors, Progress and Fatboy, are excellent tools for the job. Though I would recommend beginning with a non-adjustable razor, you can certainly get great results from either of the aforementioned razors.

I agree. Learn your technique and then move on to adjustable razors if you'd like.

Kyle said:

Welcome:001_smile
Yes, what Kyle said, I would keep it as simple as possible and as consistant as possible, ie use the same razor ( fixed head ) until you have your angle and pressure down, and then start playing around with other razors.
Cheer, DJ.

Larry

While the Progress is Merkurs most successful adjustable on many levels I personally would only recommend you choose a Progress if you want a new adjustable. The Gillette fat-boy IMO is a much nicer design & generally cheaper.

I'm with some of the others though who have posted recommending a fixed blade razor, not as some compromise until your technique improves, but because I genuinely believe a fixed blade razors is all you'll ever need and the best are marginally more satisfying than the best adjustables.

The Merkur HD is great razor whatever the era and at a good price IMO and since you can buy it new there is no uncertainty that buying vintage can bring. However, if you appreciate vintage then look out for a Gillette 1940's Superspeed, as it is widely thought of as a bit of a classic on the razor front.

Regards
John

I can't comment on the Fat Boy, but I have a Progress. I honestly do not find myself adjusting it all that often. It did take me awhile to find the correct setting and that is now where I set it every time I chage the blade.

Even though I have found the right setting with the progress I get my best shaves with Gillette superspeeds. I have a 1954 and a 1953. I bought the '53 from a local antique store for $1 and cleaned it up. It is really ugly, the chrome finish is gone in spots but the $1 razor gives me a better shave than anything else in my lineup.

Don't over look Gillette's Slim adjustable. It gives the same great shave as a Fatboy and can usually be had for less on E-bay. The Fatboy and Progress are the same size and weight. I like the classic design of the Gillette razors, but I also like the no nonsense of the Merkur design which is why I have 2 of each. That and my terminial case of Rad.:lol:

Guys,

I really appreciate all the kindness and opinions. I'm going to go with the HD for a starter, with the full knowledge that I will certainly be buying more. One of my hobbies is watches, and I certainly have my share of them so at least razors are less expensive than watches.

Thanks to you all, and I will post my experiences when I get my gear and start the DE experience.

I can't speak for the Progress, but I don't regret getting (and keeping) my Gillette Fatboy. I know a lot of ya'll like fixed razors or keep the adjustable on one setting, but not me. And I started out with a fixed head, too. Being able to dial down to 1-3 for the difficult neck area, and crank it up to a high setting for the cheeks makes shaving almost fool-proof for me.

Larry C in Texas said:
Guys,

I really appreciate all the kindness and opinions. I'm going to go with the HD for a starter, with the full knowledge that I will certainly be buying more. One of my hobbies is watches, and I certainly have my share of them so at least razors are less expensive than watches.

Thanks to you all, and I will post my experiences when I get my gear and start the DE experience.

Welcome. Larry, good choice on the HD, I just started W/S and I love mine. I see you live kinda in the same area as i do. Which Target did you to?

Tony

I feel like a boob referring fellas to posts I have made in the past - but I would highly recommend taking a gander here. While fatboys aren't "bad" per se, I don't recommend them, as I personally find merkurs shave closer, and tend to have a shorter learning curve. Like fellas before me... I vote Merkur HD.

fatt_tony said:
Welcome. Larry, good choice on the HD, I just started W/S and I love mine. I see you live kinda in the same area as i do. Which Target did you to?

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks. I ordered the HD this week from Charles at QED along with some Taylors and GFT cream, and I'm hoping it all arrives today. I went to the Super Target in Plano at Park and the Tollway. If you go, just look for the Spa section (it's still called that in this store) at the front of the store to the right after you go in the westernmost door. It's fairly close to the pharmacy.

joel said:
I feel like a boob referring fellas to posts I have made in the past - but I would highly recommend taking a gander here. While fatboys aren't "bad" per se, I don't recommend them, as I personally find merkurs shave closer, and tend to have a shorter learning curve. Like fellas before me... I vote Merkur HD.

Joel,

Good info - thanks. I went with the Merkur HD. Ordered from Charles at QED on Tuesday - darn nice guy. Also got some creams. Plus, I placed an order last weekend for some Nancy Boy stuff and got that in yesterday. You guys are a bad influence. :smile:

I also won a Gem razor yesterday on the bay. $6.75 shipped. I don't know if it is a Micronic (?) or not. I guess I'll find out when I get it. I've been wanting to try a single edge shave also.

I'll post experiences when I get the first shave, assuming there is not a large loss of blood requiring hospital stay.

Top Bottom