What's new

Noob with new stuff on the way

Hello I was in the same position last week. And on Friday my kit turned up on Saturday I was shaving a 3 day stubble and the whole experience was incredible. Ensure the proper prep too. It eliviates nerves and relaxes me. Helps a lot

Slight razor burn still this morning, so I'm not going to shave today. Tomorrow I'm going to try the Personna blue blade. The Derby blades didn't feel very sharp, pulling pretty hard at times. Started on the #1 setting, but #3 seemed to be smoother. My beard is coarse and my skin is very sensitive, so it's a pretty tough combination to work with. Hopefully it goes better tomorrow, assuming the razor burn is gone by then.

My prep was as follows:
Put my brush in a bowl of hot water and hopped in the shower. Washed my face with Neutrogena cleanser, and left it on for a while to soften the whiskers.

Got out, shook the brush out, and loaded it up with plenty of soap. Set it in the empty bowl, and put a hot towel on my face for a while. Applied the soap to my face, then twice again to lather, each time with a brief splash of water on the brush, till I had it fluffy but still thick.

Shaved with the grain, paying attention to the angle and holding it with 2 fingers on the sides to minimize pressure, and keeping the scraping noise about medium, and with the resistance as low as possible. Did this again with the grain, since I didn't want to try across or down my first go since my skin is so sensitive.

Cold rinse and everything seemed ok till I splashed my alcohol based aftershave on. Ouch! My Nivea post shave balm offered little relief. Luckily it was freezing cold outside, so I got dressed, went out, and started fanning my face. After an hour or so, the burn subsided enough that it only really hurt when I touched it. But even now it still hurts when I touch it.

Any tips for avoiding razor burn, and or getting the whiskers under the nose?

Last edited:
Just keep at it you'll do fine. Remember this mantra " less than no pressure, let the weight of the razor do all the work". As for prep it's best to shave right after a shower also you could try some sort of pre shave product (they make creams, oils, soaps, and others). I've been using either RazoRock pre shave soap or Proraso pre/post cream sensitive, then lathering right on top of it and have definitely noticed that there is less tug and pull and therefore less irritation (I also have sensitive skin). Under the nose can be tricky so try doing a bit of blade buffing. There's plenty of videos on YouTube you can watch, mantic59 has some great videos on there and helped me greatly(I would watch videos they really help). Good luck and keep us posted !

Went ahead and shaved anyway. Going out tonight, so I didn't want to look scruffy. This time, I let the Neutrogena face wash sit a long time in the shower before starting.

Same prep as before, but used a Personna blue blade (from a 100-pack, very well reviewed) and with 1-day stubble, the damn thing was skipping at every angle w/ no pressure. I found the angle that gave the least resistance, and applied very slight pressure. Did a little better, but this time it was either skipping or digging. The margin of error for pressure was very small.

After shaving my whole face, it was burning like crazy, but the shave wasn't very close at all, and after a rinse I could see patchy stubble everywhere.

So I quit dicking around with the ******* relic and busted out the tried-and-true 5-bladed thing. Tried it w/ my new shaving soap, but it was too thick to make any contact lol, so I used the canned Gillette cream. Awesome shave! Even on my razor-burned skin it was very gentle. With the cartrige razors, I do extensive blade buffing, and it turns out very well. They tend to hold cream in the head between the blades, so no problem w/ multiple passes over the same area. I can also shave very quickly over odd-shaped areas without worrying about nicking myself. Overall awesome shave compared to the bulky double-edged antique.

It was a cool experiment though! My face/beard just don't work with them. Too bad because the cartridges are so expensive, but at least for me I can get a closer, more comfortable shave with them.

EDIT: My face is red as hell lol. I didn't want to look scruffy, so now I look like a clean-shaven drunk!

Last edited:
I wouldn't give up on it yet apexsilver. I don't know what it is but something is not right, what type of Neutrogena cleanser have you been using ? We're you using the alcohol based AS before you started with your DE setup ? Because alcohol based AS does not agree with my face and makes it very red. You don't want to give up on your investment that quickly do you ?

I wouldn't give up on it yet apexsilver. I don't know what it is but something is not right, what type of Neutrogena cleanser have you been using ? We're you using the alcohol based AS before you started with your DE setup ? Because alcohol based AS does not agree with my face and makes it very red. You don't want to give up on your investment that quickly do you ?

The Neutrogena cleanser is called "Fresh Foaming Cleanser." I use that and the alcohol-based aftershave (Addidas) daily. The Addidas doesn't (normally) feel bad at all, aside from localized places that are likely to/starting to break out, which it does a good job of preventing. But with the DE, it felt like my whole face was on fire.

I'm certain I'm doing something wrong; Apparently, it's an impossibly difficult task for me. Which is odd because I'm really good at shaving normally. I've shaved with nothing but cold water in a canteen cup and a cheap disposable (in the dark!). I've shaved with a disposable medical prep razor and cheap bar soap. But this has been the worst shaving experience by far.

I'm hesitant to get rid of the new kit just yet (except that brush - feels like a porcupine even after soaking in hot water), but at the same time I bought some new cartridges tonight, and I'll be happy to get back to trouble-free shaving again. It really gave me a new respect for just how easily and efficiently the modern, multi-blade cartridge razors do what is difficult (if not impossible) for me otherwise. The vibrating part is too much, and I don't use it (too harsh on my face - digs in too much and causes cuts). But otherwise, the multi-blades really make shaving easy. I didn't realize *how* easy till I tried it the old-fashioned way.

So, at the very least, I don't feel so bad anymore forking over the big bucks for the cartridges; I know where the money is going now. And who knows, maybe I'll get wild hare up my arse and try again. Time heals all, including first-degree burns.

So, I got to thinking. I've honed my technique over the years. Why would I throw it away just because I'm not using a multi-blade? My technique is different than everyone I've ever seen shave, and yet I don't nick myself, and I don't get razor burn. When I shave like most people do, all hell breaks loose, I cut my face up, and break out in zits.

So I figured, ***, I'll try it again, but this time, I'll shave my way, with the only exception of it being the DE razor, and using the heavy soap instead of the Gillete cream. Couldn't be any worse than before, right?

I've learned watching videos that my usual technique is a modification of so-called "blade-buffing". Only difference is, I flick up off the skin, then drag back. Very fast, and very short, with enough pressure to let the front of the razor pull the skin as I lift off. Over the years I've learned I must do this because if I try to drag *any* razor across my face, especially slowly, it just digs into my skin and I end up fileting myself instead of shaving off the whiskers. I have a baby face, as well as thick whiskers. Turns out the same technique works with the DE shaver. Once I got used to flicking a much heavier razor, and using my arm more than my wrist, I otherwise did my technique as per usual with good results and very minimal razor burn. One sign is I'm sitting here typing instead of fanning my face outside, and the alcohol AS wasn't nearly as uncomfortable.

I'm sure everyone here would have freaked out watching me as I did everything wrong, hacking at my bare face with too much pressure, but it works for me!

Looks like my new kit is worth using after all :)

One other difference I just remembered, I did use a new technique for under my chin. I've never seen it before, but I basically just held my hand in the same place, and turned my head rapidly back & forth. The DE wasn't pivoting of course, so I had to figure a different way there. Seemed to work lol.

Thanks guys for the encouragement!

Last edited:
First shave today. Prepped as well as I knew how, and shaved as carefully as I knew how.

Shave was pretty close, but not as close as with the 5 bladed monstrosity. Razor burn is pretty bad. Can't say I'm impressed so far. Couldn't get to the whiskers just under my nose because of how bulky the head is, so I had to touch that up with my old razor.

I'll try it a few more times with different blades, settings, and techniques, but 6 hours later my face still burns (sensitive skin) so no way in hell I'll switch if that's going to happen every time.

I am also still very new to the land of the open straights but have been able to get a pretty close shave with my BB (Blubeard's Revenge) shavette with Feather DE blades.
A few nicks and cuts but I'm slowly getting the hang of it and you should too with sufficient practice.
I certainly don't advise you to go back to gilette mate.

I am also still very new to the land of the open straights but have been able to get a pretty close shave with my BB (Blubeard's Revenge) shavette with Feather DE blades.
A few nicks and cuts but I'm slowly getting the hang of it and you should too with sufficient practice.
I certainly don't advise you to go back to gilette mate.

Straight is not even on my radar but it does seem pretty manly :)

If you read my last novel of a post, I did buck up and tried again, and had good luck with a drastic change in technique. So amazingly it looks like I'm on the right track now!

Apexsilver Im glad to hear you had a better shave experience this time ! Just keep at it and if whatever you are doing is working then keep doing it. Good luck and keep us posted :thumbup:.

Last edited:
Alright so today I resumed morning shaving.

Managed to do it in about 5 minutes, just like with the multi-blade. I was my usual whirlwind of haphazard shave strokes, only really slowing down for the corners of my mouth. I was kind of worried about pressure seeing my cheek bouncing from the weight of each go, but it was of no consequence. The alcohol AS didn't sting a bit this time.

So far I've used a fresh blade each shave, so it looks like for me, the harder and faster I shave, the easier it is on my face. I have no idea why, but it looks like the DE is a 1:1 match for my usual regime. And that's the best outcome I could hope for :)

Just an update.

Got Feather blades. Wish I would have ordered them to begin with. Way easier on the face and almost no pulling.

Got shave cream from Art of Shaving. Way better than the soap and it doesn't dry out before I get to the other half of my face.

Got a Merkur long handle and it's way easier to use and more maneuverable than the Gillette. Feels a lot more precise.

Got a better brush because the one I had was like a porcupine.

My shaves are now very comfortable, very close, and very enjoyable.

Probably going to gift everything I bought initially to the brother in law except the razor because I think it's neat. Funny I thought I needed a TTO adjustable, but ended up with a 3 piece non adjustable.

Last edited:
First shave today. Prepped as well as I knew how, and shaved as carefully as I knew how.

Shave was pretty close, but not as close as with the 5 bladed monstrosity. Razor burn is pretty bad. Can't say I'm impressed so far. Couldn't get to the whiskers just under my nose because of how bulky the head is, so I had to touch that up with my old razor.

I'll try it a few more times with different blades, settings, and techniques, but 6 hours later my face still burns (sensitive skin) so no way in hell I'll switch if that's going to happen every time.
Everyone gets those kind of results the first week or so. Learn your razor, mind the angles, and in time you will have an awesome shave every time. Use a good AS balm the first couple weeks. The burning will stop (for me, less than a week).

ALSO, someone on this forum tipped me on the below-the-nose-above-the-'stache hot setup. Get a pack of these:
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/bic-...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CNzGvKOqj7sCFSEV7AodvmkArw
I got 6 5-packs from an ebay seller. They are sharp, and the head is REALLY skinny; perfect for detail shaving, behind the neck, etc.:thumbup1:
Some guys like 'em for airport carry-on kits also. TSA friendly (um, no they aren't! the TSA that is :lol:)

Thanks for the tip on the Bic metal razors. I ordered 12 packs to save on shipping (free shipping if over 20 bucks). Funny I had to order 60 razors to make it over the threshold. Should last quite a while considering I'll probably go through maybe 1 or 2 per month.

I actually got that mustache trimmer from Merkur, but their blades don't actually cut my whiskers, and the head doesn't get all that close to the seem under my nose anyway, so it was a complete waste of money. How they call those razor blades I'll never know. I have sharper kitchen knives I'm sure.
Everyone gets those kind of results the first week or so. Learn your razor, mind the angles, and in time you will have an awesome shave every time. Use a good AS balm the first couple weeks. The burning will stop (for me, less than a week).

ALSO, someone on this forum tipped me on the below-the-nose-above-the-'stache hot setup. Get a pack of these:
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/bic-...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CNzGvKOqj7sCFSEV7AodvmkArw
I got 6 5-packs from an ebay seller. They are sharp, and the head is REALLY skinny; perfect for detail shaving, behind the neck, etc.:thumbup1:
Some guys like 'em for airport carry-on kits also. TSA friendly (um, no they aren't! the TSA that is :lol:)

Good choices! I also use an Gillette adjustable, and have been at it a couple of weeks. The first blade that I used was a Derby, and got a bit of razor burn, and had problems on my neck. After a few shave of this I switched to a red Personna, which improved things quite a bit. I would suggest that you go ahead and get a blade sampler pack so that you can find one that works for you.

Top Bottom