What's new

Noob with a poor mans set up, Saying Hello from Sydney

Hi guys, I recently got out of uni and moved back to live with my parents, cuz basically im broke. I was on lifehacker and they had an article about DE shaving and it peaked my interests...especially the saving money part. Did a few google searches and i ended up here. That was 3 months ago, in the past 3 months i just lurked around and read all the interesting stuff you guys talked about, looked at countless online sellers, window shopped at the shaver hut in the mall etc. etc. I still kept using my fusion and wasting good beer money on cartridges cuz i was scared to take the plunge, plus everything seemed out of my price range. I started shaving with a sensor excel and i've never used a DE razor. Last month i thought what the hell i'll start my transition with the brush, so i found a Tweezerman badger for $20, i take care of it so its giving me great service, i bought my first cream; $2.50 Fauldings, then bought my first stick $2.60 Palmolive, and finally after using those products for a while i found a Weishi in a gift shop today & had my first proper DE shave. Loved it, i knw im not in any place to compare but the razor wasn't half bad, it came with a dorco blade, the shave went smooth. So my broke mans set up:

1. Weishi 2003M
2. Tweezerman Badger brush
3. Fauldings shaving cream
4. Palmolive shave stick

I made all my purchases from the knowledge i gained lurking here...Thanks guys, im not goin back to cartridges :biggrin1:

Since I'm in China, getting products was/is very difficult at first. Started with Parker 99R safety razor, canned goo, Gillette Aftershave Gel and Super Gillette Blue razor blades. This went on for two months until I was able to secure an Omega brush and one tub of Proraso Green soap. In the succeeding five months I've added six soaps, another razor (Parker 24C), a 100 pack of blades (Personna Blues), another brush, and numerous aftershaves. I hope I'm good now for at least a year and can save some coin. :)

Welcome to B&B.

Wet shaving is certainly a hobby where one can spend a lot of money. It's also a hobby where one can save a lot of money. I got into wet shaving as a result of some business setbacks when the recession was really taking off, so I was very price sensitive, Fortunately since that time, my economic situation has improved greatly, but I still appreciate the low-cost, high-value, effective shave products.

I"ll offer a few suggestions to start you off.

• Arko Shave Sticks: A Turkish soap that is super inexpensive when purchased on Amazon in bulk. Lather's like a beast, lasts a long time.
  • Real Shave Co. Moisturizing cream: Available at Rite Aid in the U.S. Made in the UK by Creightons, who makes the case for many of the luxury British shave cream companies. $5-$6 for 150 ml/5 oz.
  • Nivea Sensitive Shave cream: A German cream recently placed in U.S. Markets. A great performer $3-$5 100 ml.

If you can find Godrej shave creams in local Indian markets, they are really terrific creams that lather like a beast.

Finally there are slightly more expensive shave soaps that are so densely packed that $10-$15 soaps will last many months. Ona shave, by shave basis, their actual cost is very low. Tabac and Cella in the red tub would be two examples.

Hello and welcome to B&B. This is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You'll learn a lot here.

Nice set-up. Nothig wrong at all with starting on a budget. Trick is to stay on one!

Hello and welcome to B&B. This is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You'll learn a lot here.

Nice set-up. Nothig wrong at all with starting on a budget. Trick is to stay on one!

+1 Not a 'poor man's setup" but "Minimalist" ... to be admired greatly! Welcome!

Welcome aboard! Nothing wrong with your shaving kit, you made smart decisions. There is always time to upgrade later if and when you feel the need.

Welcome! To your kit I'd add an aftershave. Plenty of recommendations on B&B. Go to your local drugstore and see what they have.

Spend time on technique, it's more important than equipment. Shaving videos can be quite helpful.

Nice start mate. That said, there are plenty of opportunities to spend up on razors, brushes, soaps etc if you get the urge. Just read the advice here and you will have lots of fun.

PS If you want to try some different blades pm me and I will put some in the mail.

Top Bottom