What's new

Noob wanting Pasted Strop

Thinking of putting together a diamond paste hone from this;

http://shop.thewellshavedgentleman....E74E8.qscstrfrnt05?productId=124&categoryId=1

A few questions - I have never honed before so I thought this wuld be the easiest/quickest way of refreshing my edge. Is this right? Also what would be the best way of attaching the leather bits to the paddle - some sort of wood glue? As you have probably guessed my DIY skills are lacking!! Also where can you buy diamond pastes from? Any UK websites? Lastly which grits would be best for 4 sided paddle?

Sorry about all the questions,

Thanks

You'd be better using contact adhesive to stick the leather on to the paddle.

There's a piece here in the wiki with some pointers (including grit sizes).

I've got some pastes from Abtec (UK based ebay seller)...great customer service and very quick delivery.

Last edited:
I have seen folk make paddle strops from staircase bits, i can't honestly remember the name anyway you ended up with pretty much the same you're trying to order only cheaper.

Personally i have two large planks of balsa wood, does me fine.

Yup, looks like you have to glue this one together yourself. I'm not sure what the best glue is or what type of clamps you need, but unless you've got access to some tools (which it sounds like you don't), I'd recommend looking at another vendor for a finished paddle. Maybe this one? Tony's stuff is great and all, but there's probably some nuances to gluing this stuff to the paddle to ensure it stays flat and stays secure.

I've heard that diamond pastes are at their harshest when applied to leather. I don't have a lot of experience with them, but it may be worth a little extra looking. Folks seem to recommend balsa or felt for diamond pastes/sprays if I recall correctly.

I've got a .5 and a .25 diamond sprays I'd PIF you if you want to cover shipping. I'd have to check what that would be to your side of the pond. I wanted to try them and found I preferred CrOx, so they're just sitting in a drawer. Might as well get some use. PM me if you're interested.

If you use a spray contact cement the leather/felt/balsa will be as flat as the substrate you are gluing to. You won't need clamps as long as you let the contact cement dry on both surfaces before assembly. I would plan to trim after assembly for the best fit, but if the pieces are pre-cut to the right dimension you will just have to be more careful when you put them together.

I made my balsa strop with 3M Super 77 and it worked like a charm. I will be making a leather paddle in the next week, and I am planning to do it the same way.

Pasted strops are a great way for anyone to maintain their razor's edges. Easy and efficient, what's to dislike? If you don't over do it, they can produce a very nice edge. I still use mine on at least 1/3 of the razors I hone.

Top Bottom