What's new

noob to slant de razors few questions

Okay so been thinking about the head shave I had with my fatip open comb slant and I feel like the standard fatip open comb razor just shaves the hair off easier, it's like I understand the purpose of slant razors but it just felt to me like as if I had to keep swaying more towards the side of the slanted razor where it had more blade exposure to really get the hair off, is that normal with slant razors?

guys just a quick one, just loaded a gillette green 7 o clock de blade on my lo storto slant oc fatip razor, for today's head shave, i just want to double check does it look like I've loaded it correctly?

IMG_20210821_152953.jpg
IMG_20210821_153025.jpg

okay so had a really nice head shave, did notice a difference from the first time i used it,
as daft as it sounds i think the first time i used the fatip oc slant i mustve not loaded the blade properly,
really enjoyed it, i'm loving the slant now and ive just got a merkur 39c slant on its way too

i used the green 7 o clock de blades for the first time,
i must say its more of an all round blade, sharp enough and smooth, i think its good and i like it,
wouldnt say its my fave but could easily live with it tbh

okay so had a really nice head shave, did notice a difference from the first time i used it,
as daft as it sounds i think the first time i used the fatip oc slant i mustve not loaded the blade properly,
really enjoyed it, i'm loving the slant now and ive just got a merkur 39c slant on its way too

i used the green 7 o clock de blades for the first time,
i must say its more of an all round blade, sharp enough and smooth, i think its good and i like it,
wouldnt say its my fave but could easily live with it tbh

Just realized it's my first ever merkur de razor I'll own lol 😆

Sorry I missed these posts my friend. I mean, it looks okay, I think but I'd need a better look to say for sure. Here's a tip I found on this very forum: Have the top cap upside down, load the blade on the 3 pins, put the base plate on and tighten the handle, again upside down. Pretty much gives you the right alignment every time. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Anu
The iKon x3 slant is very mild bit disappointed tbh, btw I've got a couple of slants and so far the fatip oc slant is the best by a mile tbh

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I started off with a Merkur 37c. It was a good “mild” slant, but I was looking for more aggressiveness. I read a ton of rewiews and ended up getting a Wunderbar. I pretty much stopped looking after that. I don’t think there is another razor that can match it’s efficiency. It shaves great with any blade but paired with a Nacet it glides through 5 days of stubble. It’s only down side is that if you don’t take take your time and get a little careless it will make you bleed. It was my daily shaver for about 2yrs but I eventually switched it out for a Gamechanger after I had kids and could no longer have leisurely shaves in the morning. I still pull it out after a long weekend of not shaving for the 1st pass. As always YMMV, but if your looking for an aggressive/efficient slant I’d check out the Wunderbar.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
The slant that gives me the best shaves is one that's so bloody hard to find: Merkur "Super Slant." I say that even in the face of having some really excellent new and vintage slants -- ATT S2, FOCS, Fasan, PAA "ElF," ATT X1, RR Wunderbar. The Super Slant takes the mildness and smoothness of the 37 to another whole level.

I wouldn't have it, though, if a very good friend hadn't stepped in and taken extreme measures when I was pretty well along in talking myself out of it.

All told I have more than a two-week rotation of top-shelf slants now, or if I go like I usually do (two weeks on a blade in one razor) that's two months of lovely slant shaves before I start to repeat myself.

O.H.

hey so im thinking about getting the parker semi slant but already got the fatip oc slant, merkur 39c and ikon x3 (which i never use), you reckon its a good upgrade on these or is it about in the same sort of ball park?

asking as i dont want something that performs near enough the same, you know?

hey so im thinking about getting the parker semi slant but already got the fatip oc slant, merkur 39c and ikon x3 (which i never use), you reckon its a good upgrade on these or is it about in the same sort of ball park?

asking as i dont want something that performs near enough the same, you know?

I have a Merkur 37C, an ikon B1 slant, and a Parker semi slant. IMHO they are all similar; I would say the Parker is the mildest of them, the ikon B1 the most efficient, and the 37C the best daily driver of the group. I also have a Fatip FOCS on order, it's coming next week. Decided I'd give an open comb slant a try.

I mainly got the Parker because of the longer handle since my 37C has the short handle. I decided on the Parker instead of getting a 39C.

Reactions: saj
I have a Merkur 37C, an ikon B1 slant, and a Parker semi slant. IMHO they are all similar; I would say the Parker is the mildest of them, the ikon B1 the most efficient, and the 37C the best daily driver of the group. I also have a Fatip FOCS on order, it's coming next week. Decided I'd give an open comb slant a try.

I mainly got the Parker because of the longer handle since my 37C has the short handle. I decided on the Parker instead of getting a 39C.
thanks for replying, appreciate you sharing your experience

i think going off what you and another member on another forum mentioned ill probably give it a miss, i asked though as i wasnt too sure because i seen some vids say ones bit milder and vice versa, obviously is a case of YMMV

Top Bottom