What's new

noob to GEM Razors

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
btw dont they do those 3d printed razors which take GEM razors?

how wide is the GEM compared to the injector and AC blade?

i assume its about the same wiidth as the injector razor?
Man you have lots of questions:cuppa:.
Gem blade, length = 39.50 mm(1 9/16"), width=19mm(3/4"), thickness =.23mm(.009" of 9/1000"inch)
Schick blade length=38mm (1.495"), width= 8mm(5/16"), thickness= .23mm(.009")
AC blade=length= 50mm(1.970"), width= 8mm(5/16"), thickness= .23mm(.009")
Close enough for my shaving world.

@saj The best thing mate is to just go for it.

There is an excellent boxed US made Ever Ready 1912 in great condition on the UK large water area website now for £10.40. No auction, just a straight buy. Looks to be early 50's (?)

Pick up a box of 10 GEM blades from Connaught for a few quid and you are good to go.

The 1912 model is definitely the best first SE to start with.

Here is a good thread I started when I was asking how to use my 1912. Packed with good advice from our friends here.
How Does One Shave With A GEM/Ever Ready 1912 SE Razor? Tips On Technique From Colleagues Needed. - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/how-does-one-shave-with-a-gem-ever-ready-1912-se-razor-tips-on-technique-from-colleagues-needed.622671/

Good luck saj!

Man you have lots of questions:cuppa:.
Gem blade, length = 39.50 mm(1 9/16"), width=19mm(3/4"), thickness =.23mm(.009" of 9/1000"inch)
Schick blade length=38mm (1.495"), width= 8mm(5/16"), thickness= .23mm(.009")
AC blade=length= 50mm(1.970"), width= 8mm(5/16"), thickness= .23mm(.009")
Close enough for my shaving world.
Thanks for answering

Look forward to trying out the GEM razors

@saj The best thing mate is to just go for it.

There is an excellent boxed US made Ever Ready 1912 in great condition on the UK large water area website now for £10.40. No auction, just a straight buy. Looks to be early 50's (?)

Pick up a box of 10 GEM blades from Connaught for a few quid and you are good to go.

The 1912 model is definitely the best first SE to start with.

Here is a good thread I started when I was asking how to use my 1912. Packed with good advice from our friends here.
How Does One Shave With A GEM/Ever Ready 1912 SE Razor? Tips On Technique From Colleagues Needed. - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/how-does-one-shave-with-a-gem-ever-ready-1912-se-razor-tips-on-technique-from-colleagues-needed.622671/

Good luck saj!
Thanks, how do you find the aggression of the 1912?

Which gem razors you guys got @Alum Ladd @Ron R

Really been enjoying SE razors recently, especially my pal vintage injector razor

Thanks, how do you find the aggression of the 1912?

Which gem razors you guys got @Alum Ladd @Ron R

Really been enjoying SE razors recently, especially my pal vintage injector razor
The 1912 is right in the middle of the pack saj. The best one to start with.

The 50s' and 60's and later ones seem to get milder and milder from what I read, where the MicroMatic Open Comb ones are a bit more on the naughty side.

The 1914 Shovel head design is also a little more aggressive I heard too.

I haven't used that many GEM or Ever Ready razors, but I do agree that the 1912's and the Featherweight's are the best choice for someone new to these kinds of razors. I jumped straight to the MMOC and first shave was very good, but I would have preferred if I started with something a bit milder first.

Just like the injector razors, these also have the love-hate reputation and people either love them or they hate them.

The 1912 is right in the middle of the pack saj. The best one to start with.

The 50s' and 60's and later ones seem to get milder and milder from what I read, where the MicroMatic Open Comb ones are a bit more on the naughty side.

The 1914 Shovel head design is also a little more aggressive I heard too.
Yea sounds like a good one to get started with

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
This is just a some of my Gem razors and the best way to explain is just show a chart I made years ago as a quick reference for others who show interest in these razors.
(3 year old archived photo's)It is a ball park reference and should help a person not sure what they would like to own possibly.
Final Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg

GEM Razor Cluster review 2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

As a fellow noob with SE (still learning the ropes with my first 1912 (Ever Ready), I can offer the following:

1. The 1912 style razors are a mild, safe choice. I took to it easily.
2. The shaving angle is different from, but just as intuitive as, most DE razors. I found it to be a very comfortable angle for me, personally.
3. The GEM Personna PTFE blades do seem to smooth out after the first shave. My first shave left a little irritation. By the third use of that blade, it was BBS all the way, with zero irritation. Now how much of that was the blade vs. me learning the razor, I don’t know. But the blade did seem more civilized after a use or two.

Enjoy!

I think that perhaps you should have asked which ER/ Gem Razor is best for Head Shavers. Most likely people gave their views based on the fact that they used these Razors for face Shaving.
Not really an issue as you can adapt for head shaving with most razors

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@saj , please let us know when your razor arrives and how well it cleans your noggin. @rabidus used to write about shaving his head with the 1912 and the Micromatic Open Comb.

Reactions: saj
@saj , please let us know when your razor arrives and how well it cleans your noggin. @rabidus used to write about shaving his head with the 1912 and the Micromatic Open Comb.
Yea will do

Haven't got round to snapping one up but looking forward to trying one out

Have you tried any GEM razors?
If so, how you found them mate?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I have a Micromatic Open Comb and Micromatic Clog Pruf as well as an Ever Ready 1924 “Shovel Head.”

I can’t properly load a blade i the Shovel Head (don’t know if something in the razor or my head is bent) and never warmed to the Clog Pruf, but the Micromatic Open Comb — MMOC for short — is one of my favorite safety razors.

Top Bottom