What's new

Noob shaver, Timeless .68 review

So if you guys read this thread: Noob shaver, Karve review

You know where I started, the fact that I was jonesing after a couple razors, what I've got, how I'm using it and what my noob credentials are, so take this as you see fit.

Timeless showed up today after using the BST on FRIDAY, thing got here super fast....shipped to me by a scholar and a gentleman, thanks @Fenwayfan77!

Dude saw fit to include a couple great freebies, one of which I made use of today to great effect, and one which I'll give a shot to after I get the Timeless down:

proxy.php

proxy.php

If anyone reading this knows what that brush is, I'd appreciate a heads up, it's great. Merkur slant is a curiosity to me and I'll gladly devote some time to it. Thanks again man.

SOTD:

proxy.php

This review will be a work in progress; I'll use this daily for a week or so with a variety of soaps and report back daily.

Day 1: excitedly rushed thru my shower after work, loaded this thing up with a Gillette 7 O'Clock Black which is my go to this week, lathered up and went at it.

It's a solid razor. I mean it's big and heavy and SOLID. I was wondering how I'd fare after the last 7 days using the tiny Karve, but it reminds me a lot of my RR SLOC (which I love) in size and weight. It's heavier of course, but still.

I KNOW that it's not fair to compare it to the Karve, especially day 1, but I was, I know I was. All things considered it's not as efficient (.68mm blade gap vs. .85mm, right?) on day 1. I've been using the C plate, and that thing is pretty much perfect for me as far as efficiency goes, and this just isn't that, but I think I can get it there.

It IS much more forgiving than the Karve; I was again reminded of my SLOC in how it shaves and how you don't really feel that it's unsafe at all....after the first couple days with the CB I learned to slow down and take my time, and I did so with this for MOST of the time.

3rd pass I was just manhandling it because I felt like I could. It rewarded me with a 3 pass DFS, no real touch ups needed, although there was some buffing involved along my jawline, there always is. It's less with the Karve, however.

It's very loud, at least as audible as the Karve is for feedback, if not louder. I enjoy that, I know some guys don't but I do.

I'm going to take a week and see what I can do with this, but I think I might have to go up to the .95 plate for a 2 pass BBS. If so, no big deal, I'll either do it or won't.....I don't see anything wrong with a 3 pass shave if I've got the time, and if I'm rushed but need a 2 pass BBS, well....that's what the Karve is for, hey?

Nice review and solid pics!! Hope you enjoy it. I used the Timeless with a less heavy handle. That plaid bad boy is a beast! The brush is a Maggards 26mm Plissoft Synthetic. It's the same knot as the Razrock Big Bruce which I prefer. Glad you are enjoying the items. Thanks for the shout out! ha. The slant was not my thing. It might as well go to a better place than just gathering dust in my cabinet!!!!

Great review. Like you, I love the audible feedback. Good to know it's still there with the heavy Timeless.

Great review. Since you prefer more aggressive and heavy razor you should definitely look for .95 plate and also consider Bronze OC which has .78 blade gap

Also, you guys thinking of this should be aware that this handle is huge.....RR SLOC left, Karve 3" on the right. Straight edged with my phone:

proxy.php

Ha. Yep. A beast. I was using it with a Weber Wave handle. Regardless, Timeless handles (and heads) are masterfully crafted.

The .68 is a personal favorite of mine. I use the open comb version. Those 100mm Timeless handles to too long for me too... but the Pineapple version looks super cool. The 85mm Timeless Barber Pole handle works much better for me.

Ha. Yep. A beast. I was using it with a Weber Wave handle. Regardless, Timeless handles (and heads) are masterfully crafted.

Yup, no complaints with the craftsmanship, just the length and girth (that's what SHE said).

Great review!! :a14::a14:

Thanks @BigJ!

Excited for the reviews to come. Keep it up!

On it man, see below.

The .68 is a personal favorite of mine. I use the open comb version. Those 100mm Timeless handles to too long for me too... but the Pineapple version looks super cool. The 85mm Timeless Barber Pole handle works much better for me.

Nice man, have you tried the SB and compared the two or no?

SOTD

proxy.php

Timeless day 2:

Was easy to use yesterday, and easier today. I'm not too worried about this razor....I think it could bite me, I mean they all could, but there's no feeling of immediate danger like with the Karve on day 2 or even with my Piccolo, for that matter.

Those are more aggressive razors and feel that way when using them; more care needs to be taken and after a few shaves with them you realize that and move along with your shave. This thing continually reminds me of a higher end version of the SLOC, but more potential for danger.

3 pass BBS, really no touch ups needed. I have a couple spots under my ears on my jawline that could be smoother, but that's just nitpicking and I'll get those sooner or later, learning the angles.

I do feel a bit more irritated today....on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being open seeping wounds and serious razor burn, this might be a 1-1/2....just feel slightly abraded, but that could be the menthol in the soap/AS as well.

I think this razor with it's current gap and blade combo could be a daily shaver, but I'm feeling it's more like an every 2 days type of thing....I shaved yesterday around 4 or so, and got home early and shaved about 2, so it wasn't even 24 hrs growth. I used a Gillette 7 O'Clock Black for the second time, and might chuck a Super Max Blue Diamond in there tomorrow. Those feel sharper to me, and I think this might benefit from a sharper blade, less buffing needed and less irritation likely to happen.

In case anyone is wondering, that Stirling on a scale of 1-COLD is COLD. Gonna be awesome for summertime shaves!

Back again tomorrow, fellas. Enjoy your shaves.

Last edited:
Ok guys, been a minute but Timeless Day 3.....SOTD

proxy.php

tl;dr below in bold

Longer review here:

Was waiting on some North from @Captain Pre-Capsize and it showed out today.....Scott was a sick quick pimp and inserted some samples for me:

proxy.php

Venture and 45th Parallel....can't wait to try these. Interestingly enough, I ended up here today thru no fault of my own:

proxy.php

and this is pretty much exactly what North smells like. I'm sitting here basking in the scent of the AS balm and it smells like winter. If you've ever spent time in the desert in the winter, this catches it.

Anyway, you're not here for that, you're here for the Timeless review. Keep in mind tonight's review is brought to you by Fryette Amplification and O'Dells awesome Jolly Russian:

proxy.php

and by the brilliant album Desolation by Khemmis:

proxy.php

That out of the way, let's get to it, shall we?

Got home after adventures in the blizzardy SE of SLC and found the package of goodies Scott sent me, got to work after a shot and a beer. Loaded up some lather and went at it:

proxy.php

This stuff smells amazing and works incredibly well; makes some SICK lather as you can see.

This took 3 passes......you know the drill...WTG, ATG, XTG....and there was some buffing. A LOT of buffing. I haven't shaved for a couple days, hence the late review. I skipped Wednesday, skipped most of Thursday, and shaved early on Tuesday....this was most of 48 hours growth, so there was some stuff. My jawline is weird and grows in all different directions, my neck is weird, it's all weird. It takes time.

This razor does it, it just takes TIME to do it.

For me, it's not efficient. It's just isn't. I'm not trying to rag on anybody's taste or purchases or whatever, but for me and my beard, at the .68 plate this is NOT a fast razor. Technique is involved sure......but for me, this is slow on day 3, whereas the Karve was more intuitive and faster, the Krona was kicking this thing's *** on day 3, and the SLOC is just a beast and will murder on day 1.

Is it a great razor? Yes, it is. it's built amazingly well, it looks awesome, it shaves impeccably....just not as fast as I would like it to.

At the end of the day, whenever we do it, to me shaving is a chore. It's something I've managed to turn into a joy given the options available to me for soap and AS and razors or blades etc.....but at the end of the day it's still almost something I DON'T WANT TO DO. Anything that prolongs that beyond my wishes is an inferior product. I'll GET faster with it, I know I will...but is it going to be something that I can get as fast as I am with the Karve? Time will tell.

It's still taking longer on day 3 than I wish it would for BBS.
Is it there? Yes.
Can I achieve it with minimal effort? Yes.
Is it faster than the Karve which costs roughly 1/3rd the price? Nope.

So if you're looking for the gist, it's right here:

3 passes, BBS. Took some work tho, ain’t gonna lie. This is NOT a fast razor for me, not on the .68 plate anyway. I’m gonna have to go up to the .95 for a daily driver. I don’t have to as I have the Karve, but when it suits me I will.

Interesting take and thanks for the reviews guys. I really have to look at those Karves. They seem like solid contenders.

Interesting take and thanks for the reviews guys. I really have to look at those Karves. They seem like solid contenders.

Such a badass razor man. Post up what blade gap you’re using and people can recommend a plate for ya. It’s an amazing value for sure.

Great review again, loved the additional images and discussion around finding tools that work for you.

Great review again, loved the additional images and discussion around finding tools that work for you.

Aything I can help with man? Blade gap vs? or whatever? If you're thinking about this vs something else I have I'd be glad to post some thoughts and help out with whatever....

Right now I'm using the Rockwell 6C, alternating between a 5 and 6. I love that razor. I'm guessing a Karve D and E would be the equivalent.

Right now I'm using the Rockwell 6C, alternating between a 5 and 6. I love that razor. I'm guessing a Karve D and E would be the equivalent.

Never been as far as that razor.

Karve C plate is it for me man. Try it and decide. Can send it to you when you grab a CB for an evaluation of need be.

So if you guys read this thread: Noob shaver, Karve review

You know where I started, the fact that I was jonesing after a couple razors, what I've got, how I'm using it and what my noob credentials are, so take this as you see fit.

Timeless showed up today after using the BST on FRIDAY, thing got here super fast....shipped to me by a scholar and a gentleman, thanks @Fenwayfan77!

Dude saw fit to include a couple great freebies, one of which I made use of today to great effect, and one which I'll give a shot to after I get the Timeless down:

proxy.php

proxy.php

If anyone reading this knows what that brush is, I'd appreciate a heads up, it's great. Merkur slant is a curiosity to me and I'll gladly devote some time to it. Thanks again man.

SOTD:

proxy.php

This review will be a work in progress; I'll use this daily for a week or so with a variety of soaps and report back daily.

Day 1: excitedly rushed thru my shower after work, loaded this thing up with a Gillette 7 O'Clock Black which is my go to this week, lathered up and went at it.

It's a solid razor. I mean it's big and heavy and SOLID. I was wondering how I'd fare after the last 7 days using the tiny Karve, but it reminds me a lot of my RR SLOC (which I love) in size and weight. It's heavier of course, but still.

I KNOW that it's not fair to compare it to the Karve, especially day 1, but I was, I know I was. All things considered it's not as efficient (.68mm blade gap vs. .85mm, right?) on day 1. I've been using the C plate, and that thing is pretty much perfect for me as far as efficiency goes, and this just isn't that, but I think I can get it there.

It IS much more forgiving than the Karve; I was again reminded of my SLOC in how it shaves and how you don't really feel that it's unsafe at all....after the first couple days with the CB I learned to slow down and take my time, and I did so with this for MOST of the time.

3rd pass I was just manhandling it because I felt like I could. It rewarded me with a 3 pass DFS, no real touch ups needed, although there was some buffing involved along my jawline, there always is. It's less with the Karve, however.

It's very loud, at least as audible as the Karve is for feedback, if not louder. I enjoy that, I know some guys don't but I do.

I'm going to take a week and see what I can do with this, but I think I might have to go up to the .95 plate for a 2 pass BBS. If so, no big deal, I'll either do it or won't.....I don't see anything wrong with a 3 pass shave if I've got the time, and if I'm rushed but need a 2 pass BBS, well....that's what the Karve is for, hey?

Thanks Steinmetzify,

What an awesome review and photos that would put a professional to shame.

I am still debating to get a Timeless as it's outta my budget for now but I absolutely love how it looks.

I love loud, noisy razors like the Futur and my singing straight razors.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

SOTD

proxy.php

Day 5 (?) Timeless. This is a fine razor. There’s no denying that. It’s superbly machined, well executed, a fantastic razor. But the .68 gap is not for me. Not as a daily, anyway.

There's just too much buffing needed. I’m gonna have to go to the .95 and see what happens.

RR handle helped a lot, but I think I need even shorter. Diamond awesome as always, AS just kills. It smells like popcorn! How you do dis?

Maggard's 26mm knot killing it, I don’t know how I used smaller stuff before, this thing is badass. Anyway, I’m done with the Timeless for now. It’s good, but for the cost I have better (Karve anyone?). I’ll keep this around for a 3 day shaver; if you’ve got a tough thick beard this gap isn’t for you, guys.

I'm gonna update this with whatever happens when I get the .95/barber pole handle, just FYI.

Top Bottom