What's new

Noob shaver, Blackland Blackbird review

Love my blackbird. It stays in the rotation. Actually haven’t used my timeless in. Year or so with all the others I have. Probably will sell it when I get my next wolfman.

Love my blackbird. It stays in the rotation. Actually haven’t used my timeless in. Year or so with all the others I have. Probably will sell it when I get my next wolfman.
This will be interesting since the BB has
Positive Blade Exposure & The Wolfman2
Has Negative blade Exposure , that and
The Wolfman2 holds the blade with a
Death grip and the BB has quite a bit of
Blade over hang.

Has Negative blade Exposure , that and
Blade over hang.

Agree.

I have a WR1 and love it but have a WR2 on the waitlist. Can never have too many......

Helped me. I picked up a brass OC for Shane's birthday. It was the least I could do. But that's just me. I'm a giver.

Has Negative blade Exposure
, that and
Blade over hang.
This is the first I've seen anyone post that the WR2 has negative exposure. What testing did you use to come to this conclusion?

This is the first I've seen anyone post that the WR2 has negative exposure. What testing did you use to come to this conclusion?
The reason I say it has negative blade
Exposure is Because it actually does.
So you go and do some testing and prove
Me wrong, but I doubt that you'll be able
To even with the larger gaps. But I could
Be wrong But I don't think so , in this particular case.
Just can't find @Esox when you need
Him! Ok just kidding about @Esox but
I think that's just the member who should
Weigh in.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Weigh in.
Respectfully, merely asserting it does not make it true.

I did some testing, with my WR2 1.25 SB, blade, mirror and a magnifying glass. There is most certainly slight positive blade exposure. Blade was bending when applied to the mirror, and the different tapping sounds on the mirror between SS and the blade were clear as a bell.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Weigh in.

I have, in another thread.

It is the angle. The view through the camera needs to be straight down the edge of the blade in relation to the edge of the cap and SB/OC.

NEWSC.JPG

I havent seen picture of a Wolfman taken with the proper angle, but I suspect the blade exposure is neutral to slightly positive. Much the same as the NEW SC that has .023" blade gap.

1.25mm gap equates to .049". Adding three shims would increase that by around .012" giving a total of .061" blade gap.

I dont have a proper set of feeler gauges but I do have a dime. A Canadian dime is .049" thick and fits tightly under the blade edge of my Slim on 9. From that I'd guess a Slim on 9 is equal in blade gap to the Wolfman 1.25mm but with barely neutral blade exposure.

SET_9.jpg

Ok so good work guys , got me good
That time , I did nothing special but
Shave with WR2 I would buy one based
On what I thought was very efficient but
Negative blade Exposure, the Negative
Blade Exposure was actually one of the
Selling points for me, Oh well I sure missed the mark on that one. But @Esox
My friend I had completely forgotten
About that past post of yours. I remember
It Now.

Respectfully, merely asserting it does not make it true.

I did some testing, with my WR2 1.25 SB, blade, mirror and a magnifying glass. There is most certainly slight positive blade exposure. Blade was bending when applied to the mirror, and the different tapping sounds on the mirror between SS and the blade were clear as a bell.
Well buddy that looks like some pretty
Fine analysis too me. I Stand corrected
Thanks for sharing your research.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Ok so good work guys , got me good
That time , I did nothing special but
Shave with WR2 I would buy one based
On what I thought was very efficient but
Negative blade Exposure, the Negative
Blade Exposure was actually one of the
Selling points for me, Oh well I sure missed the mark on that one. But @Esox
My friend I had completely forgotten
About that past post of yours. I remember
It Now.

Given the suspected blade exposure and the large gap, I would expect the Wolfman to be exactly what everyone says it is. Smooth and mild yet effective and efficient. The mechanical advantage of blade gap compensates for a seeming lack of blade exposure. As gap increases so does the angle of blade edge to skin as the skin flows through that gap. That also does something else when shaving ATG. As skin flows through the gap it helps the hairs stand up better to be cut closer.

Increasing that gap again via shims, increases that effect. The larger the gap a razor has, the more effective it can be assuming a solid technique and skin that can handle it. Using my Slim on 9 is a good shave but its hard on my skin. Because my Slim has barely neutral blade exposure when set to 9, its efficient enough but if it had slightly positive blade exposure it would work much better because I'd need less passes to get the same level of shave. Less passes = less irritation.

The only reason I prefer razors with less gap is because I have sensitive skin that doesnt hold up well with blade gap, even modest blade gap like the NEW SC. To compensate for that, I prefer razors with generous blade exposure and very little gap. Its a different road to the same destination, just driven there in a different car.

Weigh in.
I could say a lot of things that make sense to me alone but it proves nothing, exactly like your baseless claim!! When you can add some actual proof, try posting that!!

I could say a lot of things that make sense to me alone but it proves nothing, exactly like your baseless claim!! When you can add some actual proof, try posting that!!

You might want the read the rest of the thread before posting. He already said that he missed the mark and that he stands corrected. No need to pile on.

I put off getting a Blackbird for a long time, and actually only got one because someone that had one wanted to trade for a razor I hardly used. I really liked the look of them but was worried about the rigidity factor, as I have pretty coarse stubble and experienced chatter with a few razors. However, I realized I prefer a steep angle (handle parallel to face or perpendicular to the floor); the Blackbird really has a lot of blade curvature and figure it should work.

I think that the curvature of the blade is the secret (or not so secret) weapon of the Blackbird. The curvature does two things. Firstly, with the top cap and guard geometry it helps to angle the blade that it makes it slice well. Secondly, I think it adds some tension to the top of the blade and compression to the bottom of the blade. I think this tension/compression adds some "load" to the blade which resists the "load" of cutting whiskers, which provides a smooth shave. This razor has really made me look at the geometry of the razors and blade curvature as well as rigidity. Some of my other favourite razors are Wolfmans, which have a death grip on the blade.

Now the Blackbird is a top three razor for me. I love the how it thrives at steep angles and, due to the positive exposure, it works at a wide range of angles. I can ride the bar for a smoother shave or ride the cap for some more efficiency.

I put off getting a Blackbird for a long time, and actually only got one because someone that had one wanted to trade for a razor I hardly used. I really liked the look of them but was worried about the rigidity factor, as I have pretty coarse stubble and experienced chatter with a few razors. However, I realized I prefer a steep angle (handle parallel to face or perpendicular to the floor); the Blackbird really has a lot of blade curvature and figure it should work.

I think that the curvature of the blade is the secret (or not so secret) weapon of the Blackbird. The curvature does two things. Firstly, with the top cap and guard geometry it helps to angle the blade that it makes it slice well. Secondly, I think it adds some tension to the top of the blade and compression to the bottom of the blade. I think this tension/compression adds some "load" to the blade which resists the "load" of cutting whiskers, which provides a smooth shave. This razor has really made me look at the geometry of the razors and blade curvature as well as rigidity. Some of my other favourite razors are Wolfmans, which have a death grip on the blade.

Now the Blackbird is a top three razor for me. I love the how it thrives at steep angles and, due to the positive exposure, it works at a wide range of angles. I can ride the bar for a smoother shave or ride the cap for some more efficiency.

Dude this for me, is why the BB works. I love the angles you can use, plus you can just ride the bar if you're in the mood for a more 'mindless shave' and it works for me numerous time throughout the week.

Oh, and when you use the Black Oxide finish and it wears like this... it's just cool (to me at least)
View attachment 1023310

Nope, super cool and mine is getting there. Are you a 'one side razor' guy? What's the other side look like?

Also, *** happened to this thread? Saw a bunch of posts about some Wolfman razors and some guys got into a fight?

This is not B&B, this is not gentlemanly behavior. Comport yourselves, gentlemen. Thank you.

Top Bottom