What's new

Noob shaver, Blackland Blackbird review

Dude this for me, is why the BB works. I love the angles you can use, plus you can just ride the bar if you're in the mood for a more 'mindless shave' and it works for me numerous time throughout the week.

Nope, super cool and mine is getting there. Are you a 'one side razor' guy? What's the other side look like?

Also, *** happened to this thread? Saw a bunch of posts about some Wolfman razors and some guys got into a fight?

This is not B&B, this is not gentlemanly behavior. Comport yourselves, gentlemen. Thank you.

I use both sides, the other side looks the same :) This is proof I ride the cap a bit.

These pictures are a bit older, I have actually traded the SB plate for an OC, so the razor has a few more uses on it now.

Resized_20190712_184017.jpg

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I put off getting a Blackbird for a long time, and actually only got one because someone that had one wanted to trade for a razor I hardly used. I really liked the look of them but was worried about the rigidity factor, as I have pretty coarse stubble and experienced chatter with a few razors. However, I realized I prefer a steep angle (handle parallel to face or perpendicular to the floor); the Blackbird really has a lot of blade curvature and figure it should work.

I think that the curvature of the blade is the secret (or not so secret) weapon of the Blackbird. The curvature does two things. Firstly, with the top cap and guard geometry it helps to angle the blade that it makes it slice well. Secondly, I think it adds some tension to the top of the blade and compression to the bottom of the blade. I think this tension/compression adds some "load" to the blade which resists the "load" of cutting whiskers, which provides a smooth shave. This razor has really made me look at the geometry of the razors and blade curvature as well as rigidity. Some of my other favourite razors are Wolfmans, which have a death grip on the blade.

Now the Blackbird is a top three razor for me. I love the how it thrives at steep angles and, due to the positive exposure, it works at a wide range of angles. I can ride the bar for a smoother shave or ride the cap for some more efficiency.
Outstanding post!!

3E5ED405-153B-45B9-8B72-8929591D3EC1.jpeg

Outstanding shave today. 2 passes, DFS and then some. Really loving this razor. @Marhos24 you try yours yet?!

Also, this Maggard’s SHD is the truth, if you’re looking for a soft cloud-like badger knot, look no further.

View attachment 1025507

Outstanding shave today. 2 passes, DFS and then some. Really loving this razor. @Marhos24 you try yours yet?!

Also, this Maggard’s SHD is the truth, if you’re looking for a soft cloud-like badger knot, look no further.
I have not yet! I've been shaving daily and getting used to the timeless still. Worried about daily shaving and the OC being too much on the bird. Definitely building on me. I look at it every day in its box lol.

I have not yet! I've been shaving daily and getting used to the timeless still. Worried about daily shaving and the OC being too much on the bird. Definitely building on me. I look at it every day in its box lol.

People buy razors and just let them sit there?! That poor little Blackbird sitting there so lonely.

I've had mine for months and am still amazed at how close it shaves. It never gets old. I still rotate in my Karve and Ganechanger, loving them both. But when I pick up the Blackbird I immediately remember just how much better it is. It goes to 11.

I've had mine for months and am still amazed at how close it shaves. It never gets old. I still rotate in my Karve and Ganechanger, loving them both. But when I pick up the Blackbird I immediately remember just how much better it is. It goes to 11.

Right? I just gave up and sold everything else except my Ikon.

I just got the OC plate but haven’t tried it yet. Looking forward to comparing to the SB.

Only OC I have, kind of a newbie with them. Tried one about 5 yrs ago but I was still too new to the game to make it work.

But when I pick up the Blackbird I immediately remember just how much better it is. It goes to 11.

Are you saying it's more aggressive/efficient that say the R41 or even an SR by giving a score of 11? -Blackland quote the Blackbird as 7 /7.5 (SB/OC) ??

Of the 20 or so razors I've tried even the most aggressive seem to fail in giving me a 'glass like' shave underneath my jaw. Even after the closest shaves I've ever had, and with buffing, I can still feel the cut down stubble unlike on my cheeks where I can achieve 'glass like' BBS with no apparent stubble feel.

With the unique curvature of the blade in the Blackbird would the razor give me the same level of closeness on my jaw as on my cheeks?

Last edited:
I've never used the R41, so I can't compare. "This one goes to 11" was a quote from Spinal Tap.

As far as glass-like shave, the Blackbird is the only razor that's given me that feeling.

45B910AD-9B4B-4023-AFC4-8C61F6D55177.jpeg

Even after using this thing for all this time I’m still amazed after every shave at how close it gets with virtually zero irritation.

I used the Blackbird today, after *gasp* probably two weeks rotating through other razors. I forgot how smooth and efficient this thing is, and the audio feedback it provides. The OC plate for me is smoother than the SB I had and slightly more efficient. Enjoyed the BB so much I'm thinking it's up for tomorrow too!

Top Bottom