What's new

Noob question, Simpson / Vulfix

In reading a few posts here on B&B one is to believe that Vulfix bought Simpson. So my questions are:

1. When did Vulfix buy Simpson?

2. Any changes to the quality of Simpson brushes because of this transaction?

Just want to know, so if I should look for older stock or great condition used Simpson brushes or what.

Just bought a Duke 1 Best.

Its great, soft, dense and looks well.

Unless you are buying second hand you might have difficulty getting a brush produced before the Vulfix takeover. Check the review section to see if there is anything there that may help you.

I'm sure I remember a few negative comments about the quality post-take-over, but from what I can gather, the quality was very high indeed beforehand.

Well, I don't have a Simpson pre-Vulfix takeover, but I have two Vulfix made Tulips. The quality of the brushes is outstanding, I don't have any complaints at all.

In reading a few posts here on B&B one is to believe that Vulfix bought Simpson. So my questions are:

1. When did Vulfix buy Simpson?

2. Any changes to the quality of Simpson brushes because of this transaction?

Just want to know, so if I should look for older stock or great condition used Simpson brushes or what.

1) Around June 2008.

2) I have not handled any of the Simpfix brushes, however if you search the forums, the sense is that, while the Simpfix brushes are well-made, they are not the same. The general comment is that the Simpson's of yore were very dense and had unique bristles - in contrast the Simpfix versions seem to use similar/the same hair as the Vulfix brushes and tend to be softer/flopier.

In short, it appears that in playing with the hair and possibly the loft height, they signficantly altered to feel of the brush. What this means is that you can't base a decision as to whether to purchase a Simpfix on the review of its Simpson's predecessor.

3) I have 4 Simpson brushes - Major in super, Duke 2 in best, Rover in pure and a PJ2 in best. All are good brushes, but nothing spectacular in my view (note that I don't have any full-size brushes in super, in particular the famed two-band super). Of these brushes, the Duke 2 is my favourite as I primarily use soaps and face lather.

If you're looking for a new brush and want a very dense, luxurious brush with some backbone, I would look at brushes other than a Simpson (which are now selling at a premium (including used ones) and the odds of finding a NOS brush are quite low) or a Simpfix (they just don't represent great value IMHO), I suggest going with a Rooney 1 or 3 in small supersilvertip or one of the smaller Shavemacs in finest or silvertip. The Rooney gets the nod from me as the small supersilvertip brushes are great values.

Hope this helps.

Vulfix also can't seem to get the curvatious handles like Simpson had with the Tulip and Persian Jar line.

I never owned a Simpson brush, but there was quite a bit of quality control issues going on. Many cases of shedding brushes that could not be rectified, even with a replacement brush( that also shed). Eventually the problem became less and less, but this was right before Vulfix took over. The new Vulfix brushes don't seem to have the shedding, but it seems like the charm factor is different. I am recounting this from memory, and never actually owned one. I considered it many times, but went with Rooney.

I never owned a Simpson brush, but there was quite a bit of quality control issues going on. Many cases of shedding brushes that could not be rectified, even with a replacement brush( that also shed). Eventually the problem became less and less, but this was right before Vulfix took over. The new Vulfix brushes don't seem to have the shedding, but it seems like the charm factor is different. I am recounting this from memory, and never actually owned one. I considered it many times, but went with Rooney.

So is it possible the quality issues mentioned were on brushes made by Simpson right before the transistion? Also, did Vulfix take over Simpson's operation or just buy the name and designs?

The original Simpson brushes had shedding problems in the last year or so of operation. I have two from that era and both are fine. I bought a Vulfix made Simpson Chubby that oddly enough turned into a shedder. It was promptly replaced and the new one seems fine. The Vulfix era Simpsons are good enough brushes its just that people remember some of the great qualities of the originals aside from the shedding problems. The owners of good quality originals seem to be holding onto them. When they do come up for sale they often bring back almost as much as what they cost new. Its my understanding that when Simpson was sold the whole operation was moved to the Vulfix location. I will say the Chubby 2 I have is a great brush on its own merits and I have no regrets that it is not an original Simpson.

The original Simpson brushes had shedding problems in the last year or so of operation. I have two from that era and both are fine. I bought a Vulfix made Simpson Chubby that oddly enough turned into a shedder. It was promptly replaced and the new one seems fine. The Vulfix era Simpsons are good enough brushes its just that people remember some of the great qualities of the originals aside from the shedding problems. The owners of good quality originals seem to be holding onto them. When they do come up for sale they often bring back almost as much as what they cost new. Its my understanding that when Simpson was sold the whole operation was moved to the Vulfix location. I will say the Chubby 2 I have is a great brush on its own merits and I have no regrets that it is not an original Simpson.

I have a Vulfix/Simpson Tulip 3 and love the brush.

To be clear, I am saying that my understanding is that the Simpfix brushes are DIFFERENT from the Simpson brushes.

The consensus is that the hair/knots are not the same - while the quality of the Simpfixes may actually be better, they seem to have lost some of the Simpson magic.

All I can say is that I think you'd be very hard pressed to get someone to part with a two-band super from the Simpson's days for love or money.

And yes, its a shame that the handles on the Simpfixes aren't as sexy as they used to be...

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I have a pre-fix Emperor and Vulfix Tulip. They both use Super badger hair and I can say that they are quite different. The pre-fix Super is very resilient and stiff yet soft while the Vulfix Super is even softer but not as resilient or stiff. The Vulfix is very dense though. The Vulfix hair is a much more softer, perhaps more luxurious hair the the pre-fix super badger hair.

Which is better? That is up to the individual. However, the point to be made is that since Simpson has changed hands, it is definitely not the same product it once was.

The pre-Fixes I have, I will keep but there is nothing wrong with the Simpfix Tulip either.

Top Bottom