What's new

Noob Help

Hello all, I'm in need of some advice on a paddle strop I'm making. I'm using goat leather on one side which is straight forward but need advice on my linen side. I purchased some "irish linen", and was wanting to know if I should run a bar of natural lard soap over it to condition it? Any advice would be appreciated

I've never constructed a strop, so take this for what it's worth, but the linen sides I have seen have generally been untreated and used primarily for drying/cleaning the blade before moving to leather. For that use I would not treat the linen.

I know that some treat their strops, but I believe that they generally treat with an abrasive paste to actually polish the edge.

@RumpleBearskin I'm sure you know much more than I do I've not held a straight to my face yet it's still in shipping just gEttinger rready for it. I understand completly what you say. I've saw it mentioned a couple times that barbers used to do this on the linen side of a strop to basically impregnate the linen with something neutral so that rigidity or a more even surface is attained, it got me thinking but is there anything to that possibly?

I wouldn't rule it out. I've read about all sorts of things that people have tried and swear by. But I think they mostly amount to tiny, incremental improvements or degradations that aren't generally noticable without years of experience (which I do not yet have).

Based on my limited experience, KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) is the principle to apply. There is plenty of time ahead in which to experiment. Slow and steady wins the race...

@RumpleBearskin thanks for your input! KISS is a good philosophy. I went with old school thought and conditioned the linen side with soap, ill see how it does i have some extra linen if i ever wanna change it. No changes will be made any time soon though. If your curious here are my diy strop boards I have $20 invested total they're not beautiful but I'm going simple to get started and hopefully lasts a while. 20180811_145334.jpg 20180811_145321.jpg

Guaranteed that you will nick or cut yourself daily for the first while, @bLacksaber. Just the process of learning. But I can guarantee no spurting carotids, which was my fear.

Take it slow. WTG, cheeks only for a while, then start adding more areas, bit by bit. Before you know it you'll be doing your while face WTG. Then add XTG on your cheeks and slowly go from there. You get the idea.

Gotta say it is by far the best way to shave...

Guaranteed that you will nick or cut yourself daily for the first while, @bLacksaber. Just the process of learning. But I can guarantee no spurting carotids, which was my fear.

Take it slow. WTG, cheeks only for a while, then start adding more areas, bit by bit. Before you know it you'll be doing your while face WTG. Then add XTG on your cheeks and slowly go from there. You get the idea.

Gotta say it is by far the best way to shave...
These are very good things you tell me, I don't wanna scar my face up im going to always show the blade respect. It's going to take alot of self control working on only a little at a time, if I have a successful cheek x 2 I know I will see what else I can do its a fault of mine :001_rolle I'm pretty excited about that it seems there's many die hard SR fans here there must be valid reasons for this

These are very good things you tell me, I don't wanna scar my face up im going to always show the blade respect. It's going to take alot of self control working on only a little at a time, if I have a successful cheek x 2 I know I will see what else I can do its a fault of mine :001_rolle I'm pretty excited about that it seems there's many die hard SR fans here there must be valid reasons for this
You will be fine. Take your time, move the blade with confidence, relax your fingers, and enjoy moving into the world of the cut throat razor!
Keep the styptic pencil handy...[emoji6][emoji6][emoji106][emoji106]

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Don't worry. Fifteen year olds used to do it you know. Actually, once you have done your cheeks a few times and the intimidation factor is lessened, you will learn pretty quickly. The biggest hint I can give you is to begin stretching your skin and using light pressure. That greatly reduces your chances of nicking yourself.

Ha @BDWoody styptic pencil ease of access noted, I'll def take my time too, my son is going to the amusement park the day after my Gold Dollar 208 professionally honed razor should arrive
@steveclarkus that really builds my confidence I'm twice as old so I'll probably learn twice as slow lol, I just need to get it in my hands even if it does take awhile I won't be giving up on it unless I really get hurt ha.
Hopefully the flax linen and goat leather work good the leather feels very nice, and I got some dovo red and black for my 2nd strop board that has cottan linen whenever that's needed

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
You won’t hurt yourself. While you are learning to shave start reading the “Newbie Honing Compendium” in the “Hones and Honing” sub forum.

Thanks for directing me to that subforum, the lapping film looks like a really nice way to go at some point I'll def be doing some more reading on honing

@steveclarkus I got my razor in early today, and only mildly hurt myself.. ha.
It wasn't very close, I nicked my chin in a couple places and got a good amount of razorburn.
The blade didn't seem sharp enough, when I did the tree top test on my arm before my shave, it didnt catch any hairs even when I go the blade close down by the base of the hairs, I honestly didn't think the razor would shave, but it did suprisingly, seemed like I had to scrape the hair off though.
May use my extra strop with dovo paste just to see if I can sharpen it some, it just seems as if the blade should have cut my arm hairs on the test, but I also know I have no experience as well.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
A razor should cut arm hair just after the bevel set. Doesn’t sound like the bevel was even set properly. Don’t bother trying to shave with it until it is properly honed. Stropping it won’t make it sharp. If you want to send it to me I’ll put a good edge on it for you at no cost. I want to see you to get off to a good start. If you want me to do it, PM ME and I’ll send you my address. Won’t take long.

A razor should cut arm hair just after the bevel set. Doesn’t sound like the bevel was even set properly. Don’t bother trying to shave with it until it is properly honed. Stropping it won’t make it sharp. If you want to send it to me I’ll put a good edge on it for you at no cost. I want to see you to get off to a good start. If you want me to do it, PM ME and I’ll send you my address. Won’t take long.
Thank you sir I pmed you!

Top Bottom