What's new

noob guidance pointers etc

hi guy's, i've recently done a trade where i'm getting 2 pipes, from a fellow B&B member,
what are the first things i should do when the pipes arrive, e.g. cleaning etc,

and are there any good tobacco stores or online shops in the UK?
should i go after samples?

oh btw, this is my first time venturing into the pipe & tobacco world,
so as you can guess i no nothing!

regards

I run a pipe cleaner through my estate pipes. Run my finger in the bowl and see if it comes clean (if it doesn't just run a pipe cleaner around the bowl until your finger comes clean. The bowls should have a nice cake built in if they've been smoked for a while. I then clean the stem with rubbing alcohol and then give the stem and outside of the briar a light application of olive oil to treat and moisturize. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes then buff the whole pipe and it's ready to give you tons of enjoyment.

I've been considering a brair estate pipe as my next step up from corncobs. I get the willies just thinking about it being in someone else's mouth, though. Is there anything else one can do to sterilize the inside of the stem, other than simply running a pipe cleaner through it? BTW, my pipe cleaners have prickly bits within the softer fluff, is that normal?

Yeah I use the bristled pipe cleaners to do deeper cleaning on estate pipes. Fluffy ones I use during or after a smoking session. Dip pipe cleaners in alcohol (non scented rubbing or just very high proof drinking alcohol) to sterilize them.
I've been considering a brair estate pipe as my next step up from corncobs. I get the willies just thinking about it being in someone else's mouth, though. Is there anything else one can do to sterilize the inside of the stem, other than simply running a pipe cleaner through it? BTW, my pipe cleaners have prickly bits within the softer fluff, is that normal?

cool, just the info i was hoping for, thanks fellas,
i'm looking very forward to getting them now,
i think i'm gonna try sweet tobacco first, i'm sure thats what my grandad smoked, i remember a sweet aroma, anyways,

thanks fellas!!

You think cherry or vanilla? Seems like one of those is what all the old timers used to smoke. Boswells has awesome aromatics if you go that route.
cool, just the info i was hoping for, thanks fellas,
i'm looking very forward to getting them now,
i think i'm gonna try sweet tobacco first, i'm sure thats what my grandad smoked, i remember a sweet aroma, anyways,

thanks fellas!!

Like others have said, use some alcohol to clean the stem, just be careful not to get it on the finish of the pipe since many pipe stains are alcohol based.

Pointers on use:
Don't get frustrated. Loading the pipe is a skill that takes time, and as you load (look on the web for the different techniques) puff on the unlit pipe, you shouldn't have too much resistance. Much like drinking soda from a straw, not a milkshake! If it's too tight, just unpack and re-pack until it's to your liking.
You will have to relight, it's normal just enjoy the experience and keep matches/lighter handy. Also get a Czech tool for tamping, scraping the bowl. (cheap and available at most tobacco shops)
Smoke SLOWLY, and try to "sip" from the pipe, if you're billowing smoke like a steam locomotive you'll absolutely cook your tongue. Also of note, aromatic tobacco's like your suggesting tend to bite the worst if smoked too hot.

I'm sure others will lend their expertise as well, and good luck and enjoy!

Top Bottom