What's new

Noob from Brklyn...Geeking out and den is growing!

Hey y'all!! I'm Adam living out in Brooklyn. I've been stalking B & B lately, and am trying to get more involved. I was dabbling with wet shaving for a while. Started with a herban cowboy brush that disintegrated because it was held together with just glue. Then got a tweezerman with colonel conk soap and thayer's (still used a mach 3 at the time). I forgot about it for a while and recently picked up a merkur HD because a buddy had one in his bathroom and it reminded me of where I left off with my wet shaving. This is my set up 2 weeks after buying Merkur...I blame my buddy!!:
full

The small vile with red label is anthony sport herbal preshave oil. Smile white vile next to it is bay rum aftershave that came from bullgoose with the razors. I scented my keihl's herbal tonic with Aura Cacia "chill pill" EO which is amazing! It has a woodsy, menthol quality to it. Also my mama bear's are diogenes, and sandalwood (same with mama bear winter aftershave) My fav's so far are tabac, mama bear sandalwood, dr. Harris Marlborough (wish scent was stronger), and my go to aftershave is Aqua Velva, though the musgo real is an amazing manly old time scent that makes you strut! I picked up some glass bottles of the Aqua online to keep around since only plastic now. I grew up with every other cheap AS, and wish Aqua Velva was the one I had all along! I plan on adding some colognes next like Diptyque Tam Dao and a vetiver of some sort.

The DE changes everything. At first with no instruction I was pressing really hard, and I was weeping not only on my face, but out my eyes! Using something like a mach 3 is mindless, and you don't appreciate the fact that you are putting knife blades up to your face everyday. The merkur blades were dragging on my face, and I picked up some feathers. They are very nice but I'm still not getting BBS shaves. Now I'm gonna tear through my sampler pack, but take my time on each razor to find the right one along with technique. I think I'm jumping in to things too quickly, so I'm gonna slow things down and just focus on technique, and realize there is actually some skill, art and fun involved. Out in New York if you guys have any clubs goin' awn'! Peace to all!!!

Edit of Post; just added skin bracer and pinaud clubman just to have. I used to use skin bracer when I first started shaving. Love the menthol but to me smells a little cheaper than AV. I like pinaud, smells like OS, just without the sweet notes. I'll def have days for both!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice stuff, and great taste in soaps. We're going to get along just fine. :thumbup1: On Marlborough: keep it covered for a day, take the top off, push your nose in, and really suck it in deep. Oh yeah. :thumbup:

musgo real is an amazing manly old time scent that makes you strut!

Love that description!

Welcome to B&B! Which part of Crooklyn are you in-former Bed-Stuy resident here.

marty

I live in Carroll Gardens and work here. It is just south of Downtown BK but I'm sure you know that. It is an amazing neighborhood now with good restaurants, record stores, bars etc.! When I first moved here I lived on the very NW corner of bedstuy at Myrtle and Classon (more Clinton Hill). Bed Stuy Do or Die!!!

Adam

Last edited:
Welcome to the good ship B&B. Take a stroll on the promenade deck and enjoy the voyage. :thumbup1:

Always remember, relax but be vigilant when you shave!

Top Bottom