What's new

Noob Esterbrook J repair gone wrong - anyone got a spare section?

Gentlemen, a while back I got a fine green Esterbrook J model and today I decided to change the sac on it, first try ever on fountain pen repair. Well, suffice to say that the operation sorta went fine (sac mounted and writes fine) but the patient died :crying:

I had huge problems getting the section off of the barrel and did not know whether it was threaded or not. And then I choose the wrong set of pliers and/or applied too much force. The result: The section cracked several places.

Now I have gotten stubborn and also I saw that the sac change was easy enough. So now I want to save this cheap but gorgeous HULK colored pen.

So - does anyone (preferably in Europe due to shipping cost/time) have a spare section to spare (pun not intended)? - I suppose it is a pretty standard item?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks
Peter

3EF3D6AE-3651-41A1-91A8-45CB481663F4.jpeg
C03BB7D9-6550-4C6A-B54D-8EED834C3B04.jpeg

strop

Now half as wise
Sorry I can't help you with parts. I try to avoid section pliers if at all possible. I have spent days and days working on getting the section and barrel separated. Soak, soak, and soak some more. Use heat, gently. I use an old hair dryer, and even then it is possible to get it heated to the point where you can barely touch it. That's too hot. The Esterbrook will survive, but some older vintage pens won't. I've got a Waterman Ideal I've been working on off and on for a couple of weeks. Try again every night. Eventually that cycle will loosen the shellac or resin that is hold the section on.

Check for a local pen smith, if they repair, they may have some spares that can be had for reasonable prices. Also, check antique malls for an otherwise non-working model, and scavenge the needed parts from that.

Top Bottom