What's new

Noob Checking in

Alas, I have discovered wet shaving! I still do not have any gear, but I am open to suggestions. I shave daily (I am in the military). I checked into some websites and discovered Merkur 34c razor, what do you guys think of it? Currently I use a Fusion and the can shaving gel. Steer me in the right direction guys. Thanks. :w00t:

Welcome to B&B! Thank you for your service. I'd suggest you either go with a vintage super speed or a merkur HD.

If you want to go the vintage route, it's cheaper and a super speed is a great shaver. If that doesn't appeal to you and you want to use a new razor of your own and are willing to pay a few extra bucks then go the route of the HD since it still won't break the bank.

I started with a Merkur HD two years ago (previously having used Gillette gear) with no regrets at all!

I think others Stateside might be better placed to advise you on a starter brush, but Proraso would be a great cream to kick off with.

Beware of the dreaded RAD, I started wet shaving a little over a month ago with a Gillette Tech and SuperSpeed that I got on EBay, and I now have 7 DEs and 2 SEs. Be careful!!!!!!!!! (By the way, I picked all of that up mostly at antique and junk shops for about he cost of a new Merkur)

first thing first

start using a brush and soap/cream while you still have some cartridges left, you'll notice a big difference and you'll learn how to make lather properly (mantics videos + B&B tutorials) give the canned goo to the other half.

i don't shave everyday, my face won't take it, but i would suggest something mild like an old Gillette Superspeed, it won't be your only razor after a while :w00t:

i too have given in and just bought another 4 :001_rolle

this place is great but it'll make you poorer than dirt :lol:

first thing first

start using a brush and soap/cream while you still have some cartridges left, you'll notice a big difference and you'll learn how to make lather properly (mantics videos + B&B tutorials) give the canned goo to the other half.

this place is great but it'll make you poorer than dirt :lol:

+1
I'd recommend getting a Body Shop Synthetic brush. It is cheap and dries fast. Also Poraso cream and an old gillette. That way you wont be in a whole lot of dough and you can start on your technique.

Thanks to all the quick replies, I wasnt expecting that many that quick. So I looked into the Proraso, what would be better the cream or the soap? Also I noted that some of this stuff can get pricey but I guess that comes with the culture. Thanks again guys.

Last edited:
both are good but i'd say start with the soap.

it's a soft soap by the way kinda like a cream, i think the C.O. Bigelow is either the same stuff or very similar (you might get that cheaper) the guys stateside'll keep you right on that.

easiest/cheapest way to start with the least amount of gear is

Brush (drugstore)
Soap/Cream & face lather - learning how to make good lather consistantly

when all your cartridges are gone

Gillette Superspeed (not my area of expertise)
Blade sampler pack (use one brand while getting your technique right)
Styptis pencil/Alum bloc (we all made/make mistakes)
Drugstore Aftershave/balm

after that it's up to you, but i think this covers the basics.

the rest of the guys will chip in if i've missed anything

Enjoy & burn your credit card!!

Welcome to B&B and thanks for serving! Get over to the General forum and apply for your Active Duty Tag.

Also, post a WTB newb razor on the B/S/T forum and you'll get enough hits to pick a quality, but relatively cheap newb DE!

Welcome!
Do your research before you buy. You can learn a lot here, especially in the reviews section.

Top Bottom