What's new

Noob Checking In

Hello all,
New to DE shaving and have been checking out B&B so figured I'd quit lurking and make it official. I received my first DE razor, a Parker 99r,for Christmas after being curious for awhile. Loving it so far. Bit of a rabbit hole but an enjoyable one for sure. I've already got a Muhle R89 on the way but I think I'm going to resist the urge to buy anymore for awhile, and then maybe a vintage Gillette if I do spring for another. Perhaps a refurbished model from Razor Emporium? If anyone has any experience in that regard I would welcome any advice. Anyway, thanks in advance to fellow noobs and vets alike.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum and thanks for checking in with us. If you would like to read about some of the members experiences with Razor Emporium go to the Shopping and Deals Forum. Then you can make up your own mind on whether to use them or not.

Welcome to the rabbit hole! Good choices. Both the 99R and R89 are well received by the shaving community. My first razor is a Parker as well. Like you, I thought that would be it after I converted from cartridges, but trust me, the pull of RAD is strong. Especially after you had an eye-opening experience shaving with a safety razor!

Regarding Razor Emporium, getting servicing from them can be a bit of a gamble. You can get a good one with little to no problems like I very luckily did, or you may get problems with both the razor you received and customer service. I think I've also heard some reviews saying that their "made to order" is overpriced. Better to buy one yourself and employing another to service and replate it for you. I've heard some members mentioned "Chris from Razorplate". Then again, when you live overseas, buying an already refurbished razor may make more economic sense. Like ajkel64 said, you may make a more informed decision after reading the accounts of some of the users here. Best of luck on your wetshaving journey and I hope you enjoy your stay here! The community here is very nice and helpful! 😊

@Beefdrippings - Welcome to B & B - the Biggest and Best shaving forum of them all!

My first DE razor was a Parker 98R; within three days I’d bought the 96R Daytona. Soon to be followed by another sixteen, including the Mühle R89 Grande, slants, SLOC, R41, Variant, my favourite Rockwell 6s, and so on...🙄 Not to mention soaps, croaps, creams, brushes, aftershaves, balms...oh, and 5,000 blades. And today is my 6 month anniversary of DE shaving! So watch out for that rabbit hole - and if you fall in, enjoy yourself!

Happy shaving!

Al.

Last edited:
@Beefdrippings - Welcome to B & B - the Biggest and Best shaving forum of them all!

My first DE razor was a Parker 98R; within three days I’d bought the 96R Daytona. Soon to be followed by another sixteen, including the Mühle R89 Grande, slants, SLOC, R41, Variant, my favourite Rockwell 6s, and so on...🙄 Not to mention soaps, croaps, creams, brushes, aftershaves, balms...oh, and 5,000 blades. And today is my 6 month anniversary of DE shaving! So watch out for that rabbit hole - and if you fall in, enjoy yourself!

Happy shaving!

Al.
5000 looks to me like a pretty respectable figure. :thumbup1: I can see you went deep enough in the hole. :lol:

Thanks for the welcome messages. Re:RE, I see there is mixed reviews. I have access to an ultrasonic cleaner so might just try my luck on eBay and DIY it.
And now it’s time for a shave. Something I never imagined looking forward to!

Congrats on starting a great hobby and welcome! Depending on what you pick up for a vintage, you likely can clean and sanitize easily enough without an ultrasonic. You'll find a number of posts (and opinions) about cleaning/sanitizing.

I've used RE for cleaning/adjusting a vintage adjustable and had no issues... but there are plenty of others with a different experience as you've seen.

Enjoy the journey!

Top Bottom