What's new

Jay21's Journey Journal

The Gillette Slide :001_wub: - although I don’t use it that much anymore on my face (having reverted mostly to the CB curve myself) it is probably my most favourite technique and one I have consistently applied throughout my journey. I still use the Slide on my neck.

If the Slide is too daunting or troublesome you could also use the Gillette Slant stroke (I can’t seem to get the picture in, but if you google 1929 Gillette ad there should be a picture on Reddit) which basically is shaving as usual but holding your razor in a slanted position. So slightly tilted and then shave normally (such as N-S) while holding the razor slanted. That prevents potential mishaps from the Gillette Slide although I have very limited mishaps happen with that.

Enjoy!

Guido

This morning, I shaved with regular ol' Barbasol. I have a few cans of it, along with Gillette Foamy. I'm not one to waste anything, so I will be using them intermittently until they are depleted. This morning was one such occasion because I had to get up extra early and I didn't have time to go slow while churning up some lather.

The shave was very close, but I had a lot of sting from the Skin Bracer. Part of the problem is lingering irritation from yesterday. Another other part is I only had about 19 hours between this shave and my last one. I splashed some Skin Bracer on last night and I still had some sting then. The final contributing factor is likely due to Barbasol not having much slickness. I even added in water, which increases slickness, but it really wasn't there. Neither was the residual slickness. Gillette Foamy is superior to Barbasol in slickness and residual slickness. I'll be reaching for the Foamy before the Barbasol the next time my routine calls for some canned goo.

This morning, I shaved with regular ol' Barbasol. I have a few cans of it, along with Gillette Foamy. I'm not one to waste anything, so I will be using them intermittently until they are depleted. This morning was one such occasion because I had to get up extra early and I didn't have time to go slow while churning up some lather.
I have the same mentality and sometimes that is to my detriment.

I agree, Jay.

Have a blessed day ahead, my friend.
I could shave comfortably with Gillette Foamy for the rest of my life if it was my only option. I'm not sure I can say the same about Barbasol.

Have a great day, too! The move is almost here. Remember to pivot the couch.

Friends Lol GIF by Max

Purists will shudder, but when I mess up on my soap lather (usually too much water), I can at least make it usable by applying some foam to my brush to mix with the soap. The foam thickens up the soap lather, and the soap provides slickness and moisturizing.

Like you, I have a few cans of Barbasol and Foamy to use up, and this seems a reasonable way to do it. Of course when I am pinched for time, I'll use the canned foam 100% by itself.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have been searching for a decent brushless cream that my face can tolerate.... I have one to try at the moment... but I only bought it for travel when I don't want to schlepp two brushes, shaving bowl, etc. I'll get to it eventually... It's the "Kiehl's Ultimate Brushless Shave Cream Blue Eagle, Unscented for Sensitive Skin"...... I think they were going for the longest product name on Amazon and they might have won the prize. <eg>

I have been searching for a decent brushless cream that my face can tolerate.... I have one to try at the moment... but I only bought it for travel when I don't want to schlepp two brushes, shaving bowl, etc. I'll get to it eventually... It's the "Kiehl's Ultimate Brushless Shave Cream Blue Eagle, Unscented for Sensitive Skin"...... I think they were going for the longest product name on Amazon and they might have won the prize. <eg>

Report back once you try it.

I went back to Arko this morning and whipped up a wonderful yogurt. However, I must have overdone it because I had lots of sting from the aftershave and now a little lingering irritation. I suppose it's possible my face is still upset from the other day and using the Lupo 95 repeatedly isn't allowing it to settle down. It's also possible the Lupo 95 is too much razor for a daily driver, but I don't think that's it because I've used it plenty. I'll figure out.

I went back to Arko this morning and whipped up a wonderful yogurt. However, I must have overdone it because I had lots of sting from the aftershave and now a little lingering irritation. I suppose it's possible my face is still upset from the other day and using the Lupo 95 repeatedly isn't allowing it to settle down. It's also possible the Lupo 95 is too much razor for a daily driver, but I don't think that's it because I've used it plenty. I'll figure out.
Yeah you might have accumulating irritation. Hopefully you can turn the trend quickly.

Yeah you might have accumulating irritation. Hopefully you can turn the trend quickly.
I think this is the case for me lately with all the ultra-close shaves I was getting with various blades. Since I have avoided touch-up passes and called 3 passes good enough, my face feels much better. Even better is that the shaves aren't that far off the ultra-close shaves.

I think this is the case for me lately with all the ultra-close shaves I was getting with various blades. Since I have avoided touch-up passes and called 3 passes good enough, my face feels much better. Even better is that the shaves aren't that far off the ultra-close shaves.
I'm going to lay off touch up work for a bit while also using a milder razor. Hopefully, my face bounces back quickly.

I needed a recovery shave after experiencing sting and irritation the last few days. I think @blethenstrom and @cajunrph were right that it was an accumulation of close shaves. Normally, I would have taken a day off from shaving to let my face rest, but I really want to get 366 shaves in 366 days in 2024. I've never been a daily shaver and this is a goal of mine now. I'll have to go back and check my journal at some point, but I don't think I've missed a shave since November or December of 2023.

Anyway, I went with the mildest razor I have, the Baili TTO, put in a slightly used Dorco Prime Platinum, whipped up Arko, and performed two passes. That was just what I needed. No sting or irritation. It's not the closest shave I've ever gotten, and is somewhere in the SAS/CCS arena. The Baili really is a nice little razor and will never do anything to hurt you. It's like a loyal little lap dog. Always willing to please you while never causing you any stress.

Depending on how my face feels this evening, I may return to my regular Lupo 95 programming tomorrow morning.

Top Bottom