What's new

Noob check in

Hi Guys, Gals and others....
I have been wet shaving on and off for ages but using a mix of disposables and electric...
My son brought me a Comoy TTO DE razor and blade sample pack which I started only using once week... in the shower and kind of liked it.
On a recent holiday in Tassie I thought, screw it, I am going to do this properly so I did and LOVED the results... my face is so soft and I am enjoying the routine of getting ready in the morning and it's a great way to start the day. I am looking forward to trying stuff....

I am on the verge of a major GAS attack but my wife is holding me back...she has stuff on order for Christmas ... which I don't know what it is so I can't buy too much.... It usually goes "Honey I would like to buy this......" "That's nice dear I have some stuff on order ...... " "Yes Dear.." So I'm low budget until then otherwise I'll get "The Look" Plus she is letting me buy a new bass amp so I can't grumble... It does mean I need to improvise a bit ..... I am pretty sure a new brush is in the order so I will have to figure something out.

The only issue I am having is I have weepers until the second pass and I am using Astra blades...I might be pushing too hard. I have Feathers too but they are a bit aggressive for my razor.

Cheers
Rich

Hello and welcome, Rich. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Hi Guys, Gals and others....
I have been wet shaving on and off for ages but using a mix of disposables and electric...
My son brought me a Comoy TTO DE razor and blade sample pack which I started only using once week... in the shower and kind of liked it.
On a recent holiday in Tassie I thought, screw it, I am going to do this properly so I did and LOVED the results... my face is so soft and I am enjoying the routine of getting ready in the morning and it's a great way to start the day. I am looking forward to trying stuff....

I am on the verge of a major GAS attack but my wife is holding me back...she has stuff on order for Christmas ... which I don't know what it is so I can't buy too much.... It usually goes "Honey I would like to buy this......" "That's nice dear I have some stuff on order ...... " "Yes Dear.." So I'm low budget until then otherwise I'll get "The Look" Plus she is letting me buy a new bass amp so I can't grumble... It does mean I need to improvise a bit ..... I am pretty sure a new brush is in the order so I will have to figure something out.

The only issue I am having is I have weepers until the second pass and I am using Astra blades...I might be pushing too hard. I have Feathers too but they are a bit aggressive for my razor.

Cheers
Rich

Greetings from Copenhagen Rich and welcome to Badger and Blade. You're pressing too hard :). Let the weight of the razor head do the work. Your hand is just there to guide it as it "falls" down your face. About the Feather blades - because they're so sharp you use almost no pressure when using them it should feel like ... well a feather ... use them like that and you'll get a superb shave.

Greetings from Copenhagen Rich and welcome to Badger and Blade. You're pressing too hard :). Let the weight of the razor head do the work. Your hand is just there to guide it as it "falls" down your face. About the Feather blades - because they're so sharp you use almost no pressure when using them it should feel like ... well a feather ... use them like that and you'll get a superb shave.

Thanks Margor I am due to change my blade so I will try softly softly... I do like the feathers the first pass is awesome.

One of the problems is my neck hair in one patch grows anyway it damn well pleases ..... it's even a problem with an electric... Still early stages and much to learn I am enjoying the ride.:001_smile.

My son turns 18 tomorrow and I got him a Merkur 20c so it will be a good start for him.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard amigo..... As stated before in this post. No pressure from the razor and blade. Also don't swivel your wrist to much, keep it steady and just let the razor fall and glide down your face. Feathers are top notch, go a little slower and take your time. It will give you an excellent shave.... :thumbup1:

Thanks Margor I am due to change my blade so I will try softly softly... I do like the feathers the first pass is awesome.

One of the problems is my neck hair in one patch grows anyway it damn well pleases ..... it's even a problem with an electric... Still early stages and much to learn I am enjoying the ride.:001_smile.

My son turns 18 tomorrow and I got him a Merkur 20c so it will be a good start for him.
Neck hair is different - one thing to avoid is overdoing it if the best you can get on one patch isn't quite as smooth as you'd wish - well that's just the way it is. The test is irritation if somewhere is irritated after you shave it you're being a bit severe. What I suggest is to do three downward passes - if the results are satisfactory then the next day try two down and one up. If that works one down, one up, and one side to side. But for pity's sake leave it at three until you could pretty well shave with your eyes closed.

I hope your son enjoys it - mine are as hooked as I am.

Welcome to B&B, Rich.

Your neck hair and mine grow in a similar fashion.

My beard, particularly on my neck, grows in many different directions and in some places swirls. Accordingly, WTG and ATG are meaningless to me. It would be practically impossible for me to do a WTG shave on my neck since I would be changing the razor direction every two inches. So, what I do is to pick the way a majority of my beard grows and that becomes my WTG or first pass. The opposite becomes my ATG or final pass and the two other directions become my XTG or second or third passes. To get all my whiskers I have to do a four pass shave. Because part of the first pass is XTG and ATG it is essential that I use a very light touch and watch the angle.

Welcome aboard! IMO you should try to use NO pressure on the razor. Getting an optimal razor angle is also key.

Thanks guys :thumbup1:

Well I chucked a Feather Blade in and did as advised and your advise worked .. only one weeper but that was my fault.

I will have to post a picture of my brush improvisation .....

Rich

Welcome, Rich! It's hard to resist acquiring a multitude of razors, brushes, and software. I won't help as I think it's a good idea to acquire a few to find what works best for you. Good luck!

Top Bottom