What's new

(Noob Alert) This forum should come with a wallet warning...

FAO: New members

If you ever read anyone on this forum recommending DE shaving based on cost, don't believe a word of it.

Its all lies.

Last month before i came on this forum, i shaved with three things:

*1 brand of Cheap goo.
*1 brand of Cheap disp Razor.
*Water.

Now i shave with:

*An expensive high felutin' face wash.
*One of a choice of soaps and creams.
*One of a choice of various razors razors from this century and last.
*One of a vast array of razor blades from all corners of the planet.
*Various bowls (yet to settle on one tbh).
*A choice of 2 brushes (first one i bought was an utter waste of money).
*A Post shave tonic (Witch hazel).
*An expensive high felutin' post shave balm.
*Sticks (Stiptic) and stones (alum blocks)

Your wallet should be afraid. Very afraid.

So true. I've spent a few hundred in the past few months. But I love the experience, it's worth every penny to me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you ever read anyone on this forum recommending DE shaving based on cost, don't believe a word of it.

Its all lies.

*1 brand of Cheap goo.
*Water.

Now i shave with:

Is it worth it? In my opinion, I would say YES! I used to hate shaving, and never got a really good comfortable shave with a cartridge and goop. I now shave every night and look forward to it. I would say if you bought one DE, 100 pack of blades, and some Arko shave soap, it would be super cheap. The problem is all of the options that are out there. I personally enjoy the organic elephant milk soap that has unicorn poop and is sprinkled with pixie dust.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

Its all lies.

*1 brand of Cheap goo.
*Water.

Now i shave with:

And you're nowhere close to being finished. :)

Its all lies.

*1 brand of Cheap goo.
*Water.

Now i shave with:

Fortunately my wallet is an inanimate object and is unable to express fear. :tongue_sm

But, alas you are still correct, B&B is full of enablers and I am one of them.
After all, what is your sanity and a moment of relaxation worth? :thumbsup:

In considering what's different from pre-de shaving, for me the biggest difference is oh so simple. Choice. Was fairly locked in with that disposable and canned gel.

Choices. Got to love it. Does require some investment.

It can be cheaper than carts and goo, if you chose for it to be. A weishi, some derby's, a cheap boar brush, and some Arko or Williams will get the job done for fairly cheap (considering everything except for the blades and soap is a one time purchase). The reason we all end up spending more than we probably should is that most of us have to shave (for work, or simply because we want to be presentable), and many of us shave daily. So why not enjoy something that you have to do nearly 365 days a year? Why not treat yourself to the best? I mean people buy the softest toilet paper, use the nicest fabric softeners, and have high thread-count sheets. So why not, instead of dragging an uncomfortable one month old cart razor through some brightly-colored chemical cocktail against their face every morning, splurge a little and treat yourself to an actual ENJOYABLE shaving experience! My two cents.

Welcome. Yeah, it's a well laid trap that is prepared from every single DE review website to attract naive newbs. You start googling about DE shaving instructions and within 5 minutes you start seeing "cost comparisons" and you think "oh, an added bonus! Who would have thought!". Then you come to terms with reality that this isn't going to be any cheaper.

But, you can keep it cheap enough, while having much more fun and variety compared to cartridges. As long as you can resist the enablers. Frankly, the best part for me, is that with the cartridge, you shave on automatic mode and there is nothing to differentiate one shave from another. While with the DE, you can switch blades and at the end of each shave, you get a sense of a small accomplishment, when you finished with a close shave with 0 nicks and weepers, even if you didn't use an easy blade.

Now, if you start the hunt for the "perfect cream scent", combined to the "perfect aftershave for each cream" and the razor and badger brush collectionism, it's going to cost more much faster.

Its all lies.

:lol:

It's only as expensive as you make it. Of course, until you sort out what works best for you, you must spend a lot of coin. It can be cheaper later (if you desire :wink2:).

I'm trying to control a wine buying addiction that got fueled by forums for that. I went from not liking wine until I met my wife 5 years ago, to liking entry level wines to seeking out boutique producers that you have to wait to get on their list to buy. I started DE shaving thinking I'll just research a little to see if I can find a way to shave with less razor burn and cheaper per shave so I'm not stretching my blade use. But yep, I'm reading about razors I want to buy, soaps to try, hey how about a post-shave to go with that soap.

Here we go again....

A nice shave that leaves your skin feeling good and smelling good can relax a man, bolster his confidence, and generally promote a sense of well-being and contentment. That, in turn, is good for one's health. And can you really put a price on better health and happiness?
Frankly, it doesn't make sense to not spend money on good shaving stuff. Who wants to take that kind of gamble with their life?

Top Bottom