What's new

None of the women in my life like Clubman

I am done wearing Clubman. The gals in my life...spouse, sisters, sisters-in--law, a few nieces, a co-worker, all have given me or my wife, not very flattering remarks about Clubman aftershave. Usually but not every time, comments are softly given, or said to my wife, as not to offend me. Some of these people have been in the beauty field or have worked at stuffy department stores, so I blow it off. The other day, we met a niece we hadn't scene for a long while, for lunch. I had splashed Clubman in the morning, like a few hours earlier. Guess what she said to the missus? "His cologne smells wierd." I am now done with Clubman. My brother doesn't want the stuff either.

Are you using too much?
Also, what soap/cream do you use?
Sometimes scents don't match.
Also what clubman was it?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
You could try decanting it out of the plastic bottle into glass, as many people, myself included, found that made a huge improvement. That said, I will not buy Clubman again as I refuse to purchase a product that cannot be properly stored in the container in which it is sold. There is no excuse, Proraso and Floid are just as inexpensive and are sold in top quality glass bottles.

You could try decanting it out of the plastic bottle into glass, as many people, myself included, found that made a huge improvement. That said, I will not buy Clubman again as I refuse to purchase a product that cannot be properly stored in the container in which it is sold. There is no excuse, Proraso and Floid are just as inexpensive and are sold in top quality glass bottles.
I agree. The original and intended fragrance gets lost a lot faster with plastic bottles.

Are you using too much?
Also, what soap/cream do you use?
Sometimes scents don't match.
Also what clubman was it?
Clubman Original, decanted into a glass bottle from the early 90's. The lotion is about one year old. I splash out perhaps a teaspoon, which doesn't seem excessive. I usually use Proraso Green or Gabels mentholated cream, both I would say are rather mild in scent, a quick to disappate scent. Sometimes I use Lectric Shave if a cordless razor is my choice, and it has a neutral, almost nothing scent. The only other scent which has brought odd remarks for me is CK Eternity.

Attachments

• 20230519_165324.jpg
    20230519_165324.jpg
    949.7 KB · Views: 20
Been decanting Clubman for about thirty years. Does it help? Maybe a bit...I agree on Proraso, Floid and also Myrsol. The Europeans are better at aftershaves, period.

I hadn't tried Clubman in quite a while. I bought some at Wal Mart a few months ago. It was horrible!
Didn't smell like it used to!
It had like a top note of lemon which messed up the wonderful scent. I don't know if I got a bad batch
or if they changed the formula but I threw it away.
Back to my normal Proraso red sandalwood!
As stated above, the Europeans do it better and I'll stick to that.

I am done wearing Clubman. The gals in my life...spouse, sisters, sisters-in--law, a few nieces, a co-worker, all have given me or my wife, not very flattering remarks about Clubman aftershave. Usually but not every time, comments are softly given, or said to my wife, as not to offend me. Some of these people have been in the beauty field or have worked at stuffy department stores, so I blow it off. The other day, we met a niece we hadn't scene for a long while, for lunch. I had splashed Clubman in the morning, like a few hours earlier. Guess what she said to the missus? "His cologne smells wierd." I am now done with Clubman. My brother doesn't want the stuff either.
By the transitive property you do not like clubman.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Personally, I love Pinaud Clubman - but not every aftershave works with every person's body chemistry.

No sense trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. :)

By the transitive property you do not like clubman.
Getting a bit mathematical are we? Yeah, I think these ladies got together at some family event years ago and decided the Clubman I applied was a poor choice on my part. Actually, I am neutral about Clubman, don't love, or hate it. I wear it maybe twice a month now, compared to twice weekly in the past. It has been suggested by someone in the household to stop, like "if you knew how that smelled, you wouldn't wear it!", kind of remark. I have thought for sometime, only designer scents are OK with the gals in my family.

Last edited:
Top Bottom