What's new

Non white soap recommendations.

It’s nice to see a selection of coloured soaps and I have enjoyed using several. All of the produced white lather.

My question is. Do any soaps produce coloured lather? More for novelty value I guess.

And if not does anyone know why it can’t be done.

It's because of the film of soap that lathers is very thin and is transparent. When you lather it light gets scattered off the bubbles and appears white. This is similar to the reason why polar bears appear white yet their fur is actually transparent, and you also see this same thing in snow and clouds.

Last edited:
All of the colored soaps I have used have produced white lather.
Me too. In fact I can’t remember ever seeing any soap af any kind that produces coloured lather. The nearest I’ve seen is Baume.BE that has a slight yellow tinge, probably too much product too start with I should think

I’m on lockdown here in the UK and my curiosity fired up as WHY soap lather isn’t coloured. Professor Google didn’t have an answer

It's because of the film of soap that lathers is very thin and is transparent. When you lather it light gets scattered off the tiny bubbles and appears white. This is similar to the reason why polar bears appear white yet their fur is actually transparent, and you also see this same thing in snow and clouds.
Nice reply thanks for the info kinda hoped I could get a Father Christmas lather in post office red just for the fun off it

Out of interest and for no particular reason. Do you think adding food colouring would work, or would it just dissolve in the bubbles

Thanks

Declaration Grooming - Massacre of the Innocents is a brown colored soap, and doesn’t lather it pure white.

Ariana & Evens has a few, but Choco Cubano comes to mind as pretty deep brown that definitely retains its color when lathered. This is a gem of a scent if you have not yet experienced. I would not push it on a newb, but for something that is excellent, dark and outside of the norm, i love this scent.

Most of Stirling's Soaps & the majority of Shannon's Soaps are non white, usually brownish because of the ingredients. Lather, however is white.

Nice reply thanks for the info kinda hoped I could get a Father Christmas lather in post office red just for the fun off it

Out of interest and for no particular reason. Do you think adding food colouring would work, or would it just dissolve in the bubbles

Thanks

Do you mean adding afterward into the lather itself? That should work like putting colour into a snow cone, but it might also degrade the quality of the lather. You could experiment a bit and see how it turns out but my immediate thoughts are that it wouldn't be worth it.

ETA, Rustyshackleford notes a couple soaps that retain colour and that's because the lather on many of those isn't as frothy due to the waxes and butters etc that are used in the base. I've noticed some, like GD, often do not lather pure white because the lather isn't a standard soap lather. I tend to find these soaps to be very thick and waxy rather than soapy.

Last edited:
Declaration Grooming - Massacre of the Innocents is a brown colored soap, and doesn’t lather it pure white.

Ariana & Evens has a few, but Choco Cubano comes to mind as pretty deep brown that definitely retains its color when lathered. This is a gem of a scent if you have not yet experienced. I would not push it on a newb, but for something that is excellent, dark and outside of the norm, i love this scent.
Well I started off wondering why lather was white but got ENABLED into buying Ariana and Evans Choco Cubano based solely on Rustyshackelfords enchanting description of the sent profile

Didn’t know Ariana and Evans had a UK outlet but they do and the product is on its way

Thanks all for the advice . Found a soap manufacturer I didn’t now sold in the UK

Happy shaves

You could probably add food coloring to any soap to color it. Most of the colored soaps I know have been mentioned. To comment on Ackvils mention that most colored soaps still lather white, yes. Only exception I've seen was a cocoa butter soap I made that turned dark brown... it whipped up a light tan.

Well I started off wondering why lather was white but got ENABLED into buying Ariana and Evans Choco Cubano based solely on Rustyshackelfords enchanting description of the sent profile

Didn’t know Ariana and Evans had a UK outlet but they do and the product is on its way

Thanks all for the advice . Found a soap manufacturer I didn’t now sold in the UK

Happy shaves
I like it because, first off its an outstanding product, and the scent is great. When lathering you’ll pick up a heavy note of chocolate, but once you have finished, with or without the aftershave you will have a faint cigar scent that lingers as the chocolate takes a few steps back to mellow out.

Barrister & Mann Lavanille is pretty dark in color. Some of the Tallow & Steel soaps are darker too.

Top Bottom