What's new

non traditional way to hone a razor

I am having problems setting a bevel and working up to finer stones. with the x pattern I am getting a uneven bevel. on all the stones. all i have are narrow stones small dmt's and spyderco's. my progession is dmt small in fine to set the bevel. then to the dmt extra fine then to the spyderco fine then to the ultra fine. so with the x pattern the razor is not on the stone for the same amount of stroke as say a 3 inch wide or larger stone that the full length of the razor can be ran across the stone. so I tryed a different aproach to the narrow hones. I honed the razor with the razor on the stone with the head to the edge of the stone like the you would with a larger hone but with the heel off of the stone made 1 pass up and one pass down then moved the heel of the razor to the stone edge with the head extending off of the stone with 1 pass up and 1 down in that mannor like i was using a larger stone. and after progresing through the stones I had a even bevel and a super sharp razor. the razor by the way is a cheep DA that I could never get a good shave from. I think it is because I have never recived a good shave from a full hollow razor anyway. I like 1/4 to 1/2 hollow razors. has anyone ever tryed this method of honing a razor with a narrow hone and have it work for them also

do you mean that you did inverse x-pattern?
regularily you'll traverse the X from top left to bottom right and then top right to bottom left, and from what I understand you did also a bottom left to top right and then bottom right to top left X. Am I correct?

no there was no x pattern involved i just put the blade on the stone with the head of the razor to the to the edge of the stone with the heel of the razor off of the stone made 1 pass up then on pass down the stone then moved the razor so the heel of the razor was at the edge of the stone and the head of the razor was off of the stone hard to explain i guess but with the x pattren the razor is not in contact with the stone during the the full stroke anyway so why would this method not work in honing a razor. it seemed to work very well.

ok, so you have the razor move along the hone and it's oriented perpendicular to the direction of honing.
the popular approach is to angle the razor (heel leading) and then move it along the hone.
x-pattern or heel leading seems to work well for many without any adverse effects like uneven hone wear.
my guess is that the reason for this is that the pressure is varied throughout the stroke, so even if part of the razor spends less time on the hone the extra pressure compensates for it, if not completely, at least almost completely.

but if something works well for you may as well use it. as long as the results are good i don't think that the method is wrong.

also note that the way you're doing it, the middle of the razor spends twice as long on the hone as the ends that are hanging out, so.....

Top Bottom