What's new

Non-tallow shaving soap - any recommendations?

Hi people,

To cut a long story short, I have adult acne which seems to have worsened since DE shaving. Of course, it could be all sort of factors that produced this flare up but have decided to stop using the tallow soaps I have been using (Tabac and MWF) and decided to see if switching to a non-tallow soap will make a difference.

So any recommendations on the non-tallow front?

edit: ..... I live in the UK. So I'd especially appreciate recommendations on soaps I can buy here. Thanks.

Last edited:
For me, the best soap of all is Martin de Candre - it beats any of the tallow-based soaps I've used. But it's not cheap, especially for those who have to import it a long way from France.

Thanks for the replies. Keep 'em coming!

You might want to try an unscented soap. What moisturizers have you been using?

May be a good idea. Wonder where I can get some unscented stuff here in the UK? I use a moisturiser made by Simple.

Last edited:
Institut Karité and Provence Sante are two veg soaps that work well for me. Both have some scent, but not much compared to Tabac. I should also mention La Toja.

L'Occitane Cade is a nice, vegetable-based soap with a gentle fragrance and some cold cream (I believe).

Razorock King Louis Lavender Karite is one of the best out there IMHO.

However, tallow allergies are pretty much unheard of - the soaps you mentioned have a fair amount of "junk" ingredients, I would suggest you try a tallow soap made with limited ingredients & Essential Oils, think you'll find that will solve your problem. Mike's Natural Soaps, Stirling Soap, and Mystic Water are all good choices.

Maybe try an unscented soap before giving up on the tallow. Also, what types of aftershaves do you use? Have you tried a good witch hazel aftershave? Thayers alcohol free witch hazel with aloe vera helps reduce breakouts for me. I battle with Rosacea.

I'll second Chris H's question: have you been using any particular aftershave since switching to DE shaving? Many of the aftershaves have moisturizing ingredients that are not rated as noncomedogenic, and those could be the problem.

To your original question, I the Taylor of Bond Street soaps are non-tallow. They're a British company, so I'd imagine you can find their products fairly easily.

Godrej shaving round is all-veggie and seems quite mild. I found after using it for several days straight that irritation in my skin began clearing up. It's also very inexpensive.

+1 on the La Toja. I've had absolutely great results out of this soap and I generally gravitate toward the tallow ones.

The Proraso white line might be a good option...widely available, light on the ingredients list, non-tallow.

You could look into Pre de Provence products too, maybe your skin would benefit from shea?

+1 on Cade. Also Pre de Provence and institut karite are excellent and are vegetable based I believe. New formula AOS is vegetable base now and seems to be well received, too - I still have the tallow version.

L'Occitane
Cade is a nice, vegetable-based soap with a gentle fragrance and some cold cream (I believe).

L'Occitane Cade is a nice, vegetable-based soap with a gentle fragrance and some cold cream (I believe).

Heck, any Razorock product would be a good place to start. I love their stuff and they have many non tallow products that are awesome.

Top Bottom