What's new

Non reactive pans

I seem to be doing pretty well in the cast iron and carbon steel department and I am now seeking information about non-reactive cookware. I have an all-clad copper core 4qt covered pan I picked up on sale and use it when cooking or simmering things with acidic ingredients.
I don't think I need a skillet but a saute pan, and a pot or two might help fill in some holes. I suppose I could grab a couple all-clad pans when I see them on sale but is there something better I should be looking at?

For carbon steel I have a few BluSkillet pieces and Mafter. For cast iron I have several random skillets in various sizes. I was also gifted a skillet that is about 4" deep and was told it is for deep frying. Enameled CI I have a lodge and a smaller staub dutch ovens and I use both on the stove top and in the oven.

My thoughts are something bigger than my current all clad pan that is about 3" tall and maybe 14" wide for times when my current pan isn't big enough. I also want to be able to make stock or stuff I cook for days a mid size pan to blanch/steam veggies and maybe a smaller one for reductions, gravies, and sauces.

Thoughts?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I love All-Clad, but it is expensive. I'm slowly replacing some of my thirty-year old stuff with All-Clad.

Cuisinart has good quality, stainless and non-stick cookware and is much more afforable--excellent value, there. T-Fal isn't bad, either, if you want something even less expensive.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
My thoughts are something bigger than my current all clad pan that is about 3" tall and maybe 14" wide for times when my current pan isn't big enough. I also want to be able to make stock or stuff I cook for days a mid size pan to blanch/steam veggies and maybe a smaller one for reductions, gravies, and sauces.

Thoughts?

Sounds like you need a giant saute pan, a large stock pot (12-16qt), and a saucier pan (1.5qt). For steaming veggies you can use pretty much any vessel along with a steaming basket.

Non-reactive usually means stainless steel. No idea what your budget is but Demeyere Atlantis and All-Clad D5 are phenomenal SS pans, but pricey. Cuisinart is more affordable.

Thanks for the feedback so far. In terms of budget I don't really have one. My intention is to pick up a piece here and there as I find it needed. I am not the 'buy a set' kind of person. I also don't care if all of my stuff are different brands. The All clad prices don't scare me but I want to make sure that there isn't something better. I love my Mafter steel pan but I enjoy cooking with the BluSkillet even more. It is weird but I find it cool to talk with the person that made my pan... that and I like the rounded side wall for most things. My thoughts are once I decide which pan I want next I will start saving. If it is more expensive I will just save longer (I am not in a hurry) or if I see it either second hand or on sale I might grab it sooner.

I think @shavefan nailed the kinds of pans I will eventually get but the stock pot might be a bit smaller in the 8-12qt range. I also have some monster pots (leftover from beer making days) in the 5-15 gallon range that I can use for canning or boiling things like crab.

I will probably be getting stainless of some sort. SWMBO knows me well enough to know that I wont keep copper nice and shiny (or I would be seriously looking at Mauviel m'250 stuff...) so is voting against copper. I will where I can get my hands on a Demeyere pan.

My goal to identify a few pieces that I should put on my radar. Once my house is completed and I move in I will be searching for a deli slicer (ideally a used hobart edge) but I will start another thread when I get closer that will outline my requirements/desirements (spoiler: easy cleaning is important)

Ruckin.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I'll add, FWIW... I have both Demeyere Atlantis and All-Clad D5 pans/pots (amongst others) and between the two I give the nod to Demeyere Atlantis. Like I said though, they are both excellent.

I also love All Clad. And yes it can be expensive. But they have an online outlet where you can get their seconds with extremely minor blemishes (I challenge you to find the blemish) at steep discount. I don't know the name of the web site but every so often we receive a card in the mail inviting us to their seconds sale. My google search didn't turn up anything familiar so I'll keep looking and if I find it I'll forward it along. I've cooked with lots of different brands of pans and none has even come close to the All Clad in terms of performance. For instance, if you burn food in a normal pan, soaking in water does very little to loosen the stuff up, even if left overnight with soap. But with the All Clad it usually comes off easily with nothing more than a green scrubby. You really can’t go wrong with them in any size or configuration.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I also love All Clad. And yes it can be expensive. But they have an online outlet where you can get their seconds with extremely minor blemishes (I challenge you to find the blemish) at steep discount. I don't know the name of the web site but every so often we receive a card in the mail inviting us to their seconds sale. My google search didn't turn up anything familiar so I'll keep looking and if I find it I'll forward it along. I've cooked with lots of different brands of pans and none has even come close to the All Clad in terms of performance. For instance, if you burn food in a normal pan, soaking in water does very little to loosen the stuff up, even if left overnight with soap. But with the All Clad it usually comes off easily with nothing more than a green scrubby. You really can’t go wrong with them in any size or configuration.

+1 on the seconds, you can save some money. I'll caution though, check them out in person. Years ago I went to an outlet to buy some cookware and 3 or 4 of the pans were slightly warped or bowed on the bottom and on one pot the top circumference was a bit off so a lid wouldn't fit tightly.

Top Bottom