What's new

Non Plus Ultra

I grabbed a razor off ebay that says Non Plus Ultra on the shank. And Germany under that. I cannot find much about it. I sort of like a little history or tale to tell with each razor I get. This one I just bought on a whim before looking into it Anyway, anybody know anything?

The scales are strange feeling...or cutting I suppose I should say. I done some drilling on them as well as sanding in order to get the blade to center. I never have in all my 6 razors lol... seen one this far off. They also smell quite odd when sanding or drilling them.

The pin was at a horrid angle. The blade holes were about half a hole from lining up with each other. Drilled out to around .080 and put a larger pin in. The blade hole was large enough to accept the larger pin.

Going to give her a hone in the next few days and see what she can do. But curious as to level of "quality? age? and what is that scale material? pic loading....

Oh... and the pins had no washer under them. And the inside of the scales looks "saw cut" like not really sanded smooth or molded.

Attachments

• 20210405_163650.jpg
    20210405_163650.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 26
Did you/can you do hot pin test?
I did not as I saw 2 materials that resist the hot pin test and was also leery of making obvious marks. I assume you do it on the inside of the scale? Plus I have never done it so do not know exactly what to expect.

I was pleased with the shave I got from the Non PLus Ultra.... until I shaved with the Radiumite. Now I am taking the NPU back to the stones to see if it is the razor or my edge that is coming up a bit short. It delivers fine shave, just not quite as nice as the Radiumite.

Just a short touch up on the hones and the Non Plus Ultra is shaving good now/again. Not sure if it lost its edge quicker than some or if I just did not get it quite up to par from the git go. She is doing good now and is getting oiled, put in the box, and replaced with whta ever is in there that catches my eye.

Top Bottom