What's new

Non-OC GEM razor good for mustache area

Hey everyone,

My stubble is tough in the mustache area and I was wondering if a GEM razor exists that can get into the mustache area well and is very efficient. I don't like open comb razors for DE or AC so I doubt I would like them for the GEM format either.

I was given an MMOC a few years ago but it is in pretty sad shape as it needs a lot of clean up before I would consider using it.

If such a GEM razor exists, if you would let me know all the names/dates that the razor goes by, that would be helpful for me in finding one and buying one (eg. 1912, 'Lather Catcher', 1924, 'Shovel head', 'Clog Proof', etc.).

The only GEM razor I have actually shaved with to this point is the Blackland Sabre with L1 and L2 plates. I am not looking for anything less efficient than the L2 plate.
My preference for efficiency is the Yates 921 with the H plate but I realize that may not exist in the GEM format.

I am only interested in razors that have heads that can get at the mustache area and clean up the area well.

Thanks for your suggestions!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Even with genius reimagining from Above The Tie and Blackland Razors, all GEM format razors are necessarily wide boys. So getting that upper lip area usually requires one of the following strategies:

1. Only using XTG or ATG passes while going as shallow as one can.
2. Keeping the WTG pass and perfecting a “scooping” motion (I’m so lucky to have a puggish snout)
3. Going steep and keeping all three passes

That’s the same whether your GEM format razor has a safety bar, open comb, or you’re using a box cutter like an absolute mad person.

Wishing you the best of luck and glad you have a Yates 921-H if it’s too annoying

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I would try a Gem 1912 or Micromatic clog Pruf, Mfg 1941-46 & they are more a mid range IMO with a Gem SS PTFE blade. 1924 Ever-Ready shovel head is a mid range also or a 1914 Ever-Ready mid range(my favorite with great audio feed back.)
If you want a aggressive Ever-ready(ASR) razor you can buy a Streamline, the blade stops are set forward more than most Gem razors and it is the most efficient but it takes time to dial it in, course beard no problem and is the best looking ASR razor in my opinion.
The brass Peerless model has more nibs(17) on the safety bar than the regular chrome models have (12 nib safety bar).
(Some old archived photos)
Clog Pruf different models. You can find them in a brass(Peerless model) or regular chrome coated models.
clog pruf 1941 to 1946 3.jpg

(L) Gem 1912...............................(R) Ever-Ready Streamline, blade stops are set more forward as shown then Gem razors.
Comparing Gem 1912 to a Everready streamline razor blade to safety bar..jpg

Gem (ASR)cluster of razors I have used when I got interested in using them. Chart is how I felt they rated at the time IMO.
GEM Razor Cluster review 2019 (2).jpg

Ever-Ready(ASR) razors that are great razors.
Everready 1914 VS Everady 1924 Samsung2 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
The recommendations above all can work well for your unique need, but my #1 recommendation would be the Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf.

It offers a TTO design, a reduced open comb, a maneuverable size and design, medium aggression, and a close and comfortable shave. It is user-friendly to use.

The Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf SE razor also is plentiful and reasonably priced.

I would try a Gem 1912 or Micromatic clog Pruf, Mfg 1941-46 & they are more a mid range IMO with a Gem SS PTFE blade. 1924 Ever-Ready shovel head is a mid range also or a 1914 Ever-Ready mid range(my favorite with great audio feed back.)
If you want a aggressive Ever-ready(ASR) razor you can buy a Streamline, the blade stops are set forward more than most Gem razors and it is the most efficient but it takes time to dial it in, course beard no problem and is the best looking ASR razor in my opinion.
The brass Peerless model has more nibs(17) on the safety bar than the regular chrome models have (12 nib safety bar).
Clog Pruf different models. You can find them in a brass(Peerless model) or regular chrome coated models.
View attachment 1538058

(L) Gem 1912...............................(R) Ever-Ready Streamline, blade stops are set more forward as shown then Gem razors.
View attachment 1538074

Gem (ASR)cluster of razors I have used when I got interested in using them. Chart is how I felt they rated at the time IMO.
View attachment 1538066

View attachment 1538069
Have some great shaves!
Thank you for your suggestions!

I have a Gem Junior and a Micromatic Clog Pruf (Peerless model) on the way.

Depending on how those go, I may get a 1924 Ever-Ready shovel head.

On a side note, I did start cleaning up the MMOC that a relative gave me a few years ago but found one of the blade stops was worn down, so it doesn't hold the blade on one side. If I decide I want to try one, I will just buy another one that is in better shape.

Thanks again!

Ron R

On a side note, I did start cleaning up the MMOC that a relative gave me a few years ago but found one of the blade stops was worn down, so it doesn't hold the blade on one side. If I decide I want to try one, I will just buy another one that is in better shape.

Thanks again!
Don't throw out the the old MMOC razor because you can salvage the handle down the road if you have Machinist buddy. Here is my handle that I salvaged from a old MMOC with a blade stop that was damaged.
Micromatic handle salvage.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Thanks for the tip!
Hi there, I'm a new member to this site -- although I started wet shaving 10+ years ago. I've been lurking here in my quest to replace my original kit. I've been using the same razor and brush this whole time! Anyway, as a newbie here I can't respond to your BST listing you posted today. Just learned I need 10 posts first :) So this is my unorthodox way to make progress toward that threshold while letting you know that I'm interested in the razor but don't know how to tell you :)

Hope this isn't a violation of B&B rules. I apologize if it is.

Cheers,
Richard

Hi there, I'm a new member to this site -- although I started wet shaving 10+ years ago. I've been lurking here in my quest to replace my original kit. I've been using the same razor and brush this whole time! Anyway, as a newbie here I can't respond to your BST listing you posted today. Just learned I need 10 posts first :) So this is my unorthodox way to make progress toward that threshold while letting you know that I'm interested in the razor but don't know how to tell you :)

Hope this isn't a violation of B&B rules. I apologize if it is.

Cheers,
Richard
Hey Richard, I just sent you a private message (PM). Check your inbox.

View attachment 1538058

View attachment 1538074

View attachment 1538066

View attachment 1538069
Have some great shaves!

Great info from the man writing the book (or wonderful posts!) on GEMs. I have found his analysis to be very on point.
I prefer my GEM Damaskeene, Junior, and Peerless Clog Pruf for ATG under the nose.

Thanks again!

Well done! The MM Clog Pruf Peerless is one of my favorite GEMs, along with the Damaskeene. I had an MMOC and it was too much for this weakling!

Ron R

Great info from the man writing the book (or wonderful posts!) on GEMs. I have found his analysis to be very on point.
I prefer my GEM Damaskeene, Junior, and Peerless Clog Pruf for ATG under the nose.

Well done! The MM Clog Pruf Peerless is one of my favorite GEMs, along with the Damaskeene. I had an MMOC and it was too much for this weakling!
Thanks for your kind words, you put a smile on my face! Have a great day!

I bought a MMBT and MMOC to go with the MMCP I bought to cover my bases.

I bought the MMOC more for the fact it came with the original box, instructions and cool looking vintage blades (not that I am going to use those blades).

@Ron R I have been reading some of your great comparison posts and write ups on GEM razors. What is your comparison between the MMCP and the Ever-Ready shovel head?

Thanks!

Hmm, I generally don't have an issue with either of my Micromatics (Flying Wing or MMOC) shaving the mustache area. The WTG does require going a steeper angle, but the XTG and ATG aren't an issue for me, and I find them both pretty forgiving. That said, I'll go ATG (upward) with my Timeless .95 OC, R41 Clone, and Rex Ambassador as well, the latter of which is actually the most difficult to do so with, and I can only do so with certain blades.

My suggestion, start at around a 45 degree angle from up/down, and gradually straiten the angle to up & down if you're having issues doing the 'Fools Pass'/ATG on that area. As the stubble gets short, the ATG pass becomes easier, and smoother. A little pre-shave to help soften those whiskers also helps, my favorite is the now discontinued Dove Men +Care Pre-Shave oil. (Difficult to find these days, and glad I lucked into a case of a dozen a couple years back, which I used when removing 3+ days of growth).

Hmm, I generally don't have an issue with either of my Micromatics (Flying Wing or MMOC) shaving the mustache area. The WTG does require going a steeper angle, but the XTG and ATG aren't an issue for me, and I find them both pretty forgiving. That said, I'll go ATG (upward) with my Timeless .95 OC, R41 Clone, and Rex Ambassador as well, the latter of which is actually the most difficult to do so with, and I can only do so with certain blades.

My suggestion, start at around a 45 degree angle from up/down, and gradually straiten the angle to up & down if you're having issues doing the 'Fools Pass'/ATG on that area. As the stubble gets short, the ATG pass becomes easier, and smoother. A little pre-shave to help soften those whiskers also helps, my favorite is the now discontinued Dove Men +Care Pre-Shave oil. (Difficult to find these days, and glad I lucked into a case of a dozen a couple years back, which I used when removing 3+ days of growth).
Thanks for the suggestions!

I have found that Sterling Soap Company's pre-shave soaps do a great job on softening my beard and makes a big difference in my shaves (even after taking a shower).

I did not have issues with the Micromatic Flying Wing or Clog-Pruf that I received last week which reassured me that the GEM blades could give close comfortable shave in the mustache area.

I don't have issues with DE or injector razors at this time either as long as I choose efficient razors. The problem I was having was with the un-shimmed Blackland Sabre and wanted to make sure that any other GEM style razors that I might buy did not give me the same problems. I find the Micromatic Flying Wing/Bullet Tip (and Clog-Pruf) to be more efficient than the un-shimmed Blackland Sabre with the L2 plate.

The vintage GEM/ER razors are so affordable, it is challenging not to buy all of them you find (ha ha).

Per the recommendations in this thread, I have ER 1914 and ER 1924 on the way. I will try out the MMOC tomorrow and the GEM Junior later this week.

Ron R

I bought a MMBT and MMOC to go with the MMCP I bought to cover my bases.

I bought the MMOC more for the fact it came with the original box, instructions and cool looking vintage blades (not that I am going to use those blades).

@Ron R I have been reading some of your great comparison posts and write ups on GEM razors. What is your comparison between the MMCP and the Ever-Ready shovel head?

Thanks!
Both razors are mid range IMO but the Gem is easier to load & remove a blade. It also depends on what Clog Pruf model you have makes a difference slightly because the Peerless model has 17 nibs of the safety bar that might be slightly smoother to some folks.
clog pruf 1941 to 1946 3.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom