What's new

Non MS Computer Operating Systems.

Afternoon Gents!

After two years absence...I have decided to go back to using Linux as the main OS on my PC. I have installed SuSE Linux 10.1.....and can barely believe how much it has moved on. I am curious as to the OS preferences of other Forum Members.

Regards
Brian

Interesting thread!

My main "gaming" computer namd Guttlekraw is running Windows XP. Since I don't like dual boot I have an external hard disk on which I have Slackware installed that I can boot easily as well.
Both my corporate (work) laptop and my own laptop (Picknose) run Windows XP as well.
My fileserver (documents, photos, music and movies), named Oddbit, runs Slackware 10.0.
My home firewall (Two-Edge) runs OpenBSD 3.8.
I've been thinking about placing an extra machine to perform IDS on my home network (named Wile-Eye), but I'm moving away from that idea.
My wireless AP is called Wadsack and will eventually take over firewalling as well once I decide to spare some electricity and turn of Two-Edge or when I decide to not go for an OpenBSD firewall on a Soekris box.

Fileserver will soon be decommisioned as well seen the fact that it only serves files for the 3 hours a day I'm online during the week.

I love alternative operating systems and I tend to use the OS for what it was mainly created for.

Like you I'm also interested in other peoples' preferences.

I'm a mac user so I only really get one OS, OS X10.4 I think. I have heard that with a little tweaking you can install OS X on a PC. Has anyone tried this?

Like John, I'm a mac user and I run OSX10.4... and, as I've heard mac users say "once you go mac, you'll never go back" :biggrin:

I am a Apple user too... OS 7- OSX 10.4 waiting for 10.5 in a couple of weeks. I'm also waiting for the Apple WWDC to see what is announced then I'm going to take the plunge on an Intel Core Duo 2 Mac Mini for media and DVR stuff.

At work we are Win XP for accounting packages. So I'm looking forward to dual boot system of the new Apples also.

I'm a long time Apple user--since 1985 or so--and am currently running 10.4.7 on my MacBook Pro.

BTW--I made the switch to a laptop for home and work and am loving it--anyone else a laptop only user?

My main machine at home is Ubuntu Linux, my gaming machine is Windows XP, my personal laptop is a 12" Powerbook (OSX 10.4), my work laptop is Windows XP. I also run a Windows 2003 server, and I just decommisioned a Gentoo Linux server.

I'm a Microsoft .NET developer so I find myself using Windows XP most of the day, but it's nice to switch out to linux and OSX whn I get home.

You've probably already heard this... according to MacWorld magazine, Win XP runs better (faster and more stable) on the new Intel Macintosh computers. :biggrin: Why yes, I am a Mac user. Since 1988. I switched to a PC long enough to hate Win 98 - then right back to Mac. They may cost a little more but there's no comparison.
Stepping off my soapbox,

Currently I'm working on an cheap Dell loaded w/ XP, though when I actually get around to replacing it, I'm really considering a Mac. I only hate that my software will be unusable on it unless I am able to use the windows emulator which drops performance. Bummer.

I use a mac, I'm a recent switcher... I've been through the various windows iterations and many of the linux iterations as well as a few other *nix OS/S (solaris, etc.) Having experienced them all I will not be going away from OS/X in the foreseeable future. It's like solving all of the windows suckage without any of the potential linux headaches, but all of the control.

In Feb. I had my hard drive crash and didn't have a copy of windows. Rather than pay 300$ for XP Pro I bought Suse 10.0 for 60$. I like it. Don't know enough about computers to do a lot with it as far as tweaking but I'm gradually learning.

Here is a good forum community for Linux. The people here are very knowledgable. www.linuxquestions.org

I have been using Ubuntu now for awhile and it's pretty impressive. Everything is there that I need. They also have a great forum community that can help you if you get in a jam. Not quite as friendly as Badger & Blade but they're up there.

I use Ubuntu at home on my old latop, XP/Ubuntu on my main PC, but I don't use it much. At work I use Ubuntu, CentOS and Red Hat. Considering that I've grew up on linux, solaris, sco unix, irix and other I don't really have any need to try OSX. I'm thinking about getting new laptop at the moment and one of the options is Apple, but I would still use linux on it 99% of the time.

If it weren't for games, I'd use my Gentoo Linux partition, but for games I have XP still. My server runs Linux. My DVR runs Linux. My $60 router runs Linux. My $60 NAS-appliance-turned-server runs Linux. My handheld runs Linux. My cluster of old discarded computers runs Linux...

(there's a trend here...)

vputz said:
If it weren't for games, I'd use my Gentoo Linux partition, but for games I have XP still. My server runs Linux. My DVR runs Linux. My $60 router runs Linux. My $60 NAS-appliance-turned-server runs Linux. My handheld runs Linux. My cluster of old discarded computers runs Linux...

(there's a trend here...)

You like linux then? :wink:

you boys keep talking and i will just do the "oprah thing" and say ...uh-huh...uh-huh...and keep listening...

I am just lucky to get online with my knowledge.....but i'll but in if i have a question.

mark the shoeshine boy

jduffy said:
I have been using Ubuntu now for awhile and it's pretty impressive. Everything is there that I need. They also have a great forum community that can help you if you get in a jam. Not quite as friendly as Badger & Blade but they're up there.

Just out of interest......how well is Ubuntu integrated? SUSE's menus are very good.....but initial impressions on 10.1 are not good. From what I have seen of Ubuntu...that might be a better option.

Brian

madmedic said:
Just out of interest......how well is Ubuntu integrated? SUSE's menus are very good.....but initial impressions on 10.1 are not good. From what I have seen of Ubuntu...that might be a better option.

Brian

It has very good integration. That's one of the reasons why I like it, it's very polished. You can try the live CD without installing it and see if you like it.

Top Bottom