What's new

"Non-hoppy" beers?

Yes and No. Around 1780 a London brewer names George Hodgson saw an opportunity. He negotiated a very good rate for shipping beer from London, close to the docks, to India on ships which had lots of empty space because they mostly brought goods BACK from India. In order to make the beer more biologically stable they loaded it with hops. The beta acids in hops are anti- bacterial. He called it "India Ale". Hodgeson did very well and had a near monopoly on beer to India. To break the monopoly the East India Trading Company worked with brewers from Burton on Trent to ship beer th India.

The India ale was so heavily hopped that it was not even drinkable until it was a year old or more, and the hop bitterness had evolved and softened. Skimming over many facts, folks back in Britain learned about India Ale and brewers began to brew it for the home market, only using less hops. By the late 19th century it had been replaced by less aggressive pale ales and bitters. The craft beer movement in the US essentially revived the style and it is once again brewed in the UK too. In the UK beer is taxed on its alcoholic content, so modern Brit IPA is much lower in alcohol (also a preservative) than the originals. Modern American IPAs have lots of hop bitterness, but virtually no age to them making them harsh and, according to British beer experts, nothing like the original. (summery from the CAMRA book "India Pale Ale")

This; but also keep in mind that Pale was a relative term. More base malts (like Maris Otter for example) were used in place of the darker malts because it produced a lighter beer that went down easier in the hot and humid climate. Compared to the Browns and Stouts more popular in England at the time, an Amber would be pale (and I'm given to understand that's more likely the color these ales were). I'd guess if you wanted a modern example, Samuel Smith's India Ale might be closer to that original style (though I'd venture still a fair bit more alcohol).

I only drink IPA's which tend to be the "hoppiest" of the beers. You want to look for something that has a low IBU #. I believe this stands for International Bitterness Units but I could be mistaken. The hops create the bitterness. I am one of those people that stays away from the types of beers you are looking for. The hoppier, the better.

I would say any standard lager will be non-hoppy. Amstel, Stella, Corona, etc. If you are looking for a non-hoppy ale, obviously most stouts and porters (dark beers) are going to be sweeter with less bitterness. If you do not want a dark beer, look for pale ales with less IBU's. Standard Sierra Nevada is widely available and a good starting point.

If you ever want to be adventurous and transition into "hoppy" beers, start with Dogfish 60 minute IPA and you may surprise yourself.

+1 on the Dogfish 60 minute IPA

Ok, so I tried a Scotch Style Ale by Founders and Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout. I liked the oatmeal stout and would get it again. I liked the Scotch Ale at first, but the bitter finish left me a bit put out by the time I finished my glass. All in all, I am happy that I finally found a beer that I like. My next mix-a-six will likely be (assuming I can find all of them): Dogfish Head Raison D'Etre, Bear Republic Racer 5, Hefeweizen, Westmalle Dubbel, Kona Pipeline Porter, and Three Floyds Gumballhead. I am still curious about the comment that it may not be the hops that I am having trouble with, given that I liked a triple IPA. How can I go about figuring out exactly what it is about a beer that I am not liking? BTW, thanks for all the help and suggestions thus far!

Ok, so I tried a Scotch Style Ale by Founders and Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout. I liked the oatmeal stout and would get it again. I liked the Scotch Ale at first, but the bitter finish left me a bit put out by the time I finished my glass. All in all, I am happy that I finally found a beer that I like. My next mix-a-six will likely be (assuming I can find all of them): Dogfish Head Raison D'Etre, Bear Republic Racer 5, Hefeweizen, Westmalle Dubbel, Kona Pipeline Porter, and Three Floyds Gumballhead. I am still curious about the comment that it may not be the hops that I am having trouble with, given that I liked a triple IPA. How can I go about figuring out exactly what it is about a beer that I am not liking? BTW, thanks for all the help and suggestions thus far!

MMMMM...Pipeline Porter.

Its hard to say, but Scottish Ales are generally not hoppy at all. Based on your next list you are running the gambit in styles so just keep notes of what you like/dislike then maybe you can find styles that suit you. I generally like a good beer in any style but there are a few styles I shy away from. Its not cut and dry when it comes to beer. There are many craft breweries and they bend the rules in each style so the best bet is to continue on and re-buy what you have liked and add a new one each time at the store. Eventually you'll get a good understanding. But also remember that if you don't like a certain beer it may be because it was not a good beer. I love IPAs in general but there are still some that are either poor quality or that just don't fit my tastes.

Mmm...Gumballhead. That is one tasty brew. Has a good wheaty and just a tad hoppy flavor. Definitely has a bit of grapefruit and citrus to it. I wish you could find it more readily around here.

If you find you like a bit of fruit flavor, I would suggest Magic Hat #9. Apricot interesting, and one of my personal faves.

Non-Hoppy beer? That's like shaving with a razor without a blade!
Just messing with you, as I am a big fan of IPAs. Hefe's are probably what you are looking for. I think they have a great mild taste to them. Almost sweet. My personal favorite of them is Weihenstephaner. Probably the best Hefe ever.

Top Bottom