What's new

Non-glass coffee making

When I was looking, I almost bought a Frieling Insulated Coffee Maker French Press - Polished Stainless Steel unit. But I went with a drip Bonavita... drip is not boat-friendly. the Frieling is more expensive that the one you show, though.

Good question- mostly 2, but when you have a boat, you expect to entertain friends who don't have a boat :)

Ya got that right.. :lol: and those firends will expect all the conveniences of home.. especially coffee in the morning and beer all day and a nice smooth nightcap before they drive home and leave you to clean the fish.

I went with a stainless steel French press when deployed with the Army. I now use it when camping. It is practically indestructible.

Sent via mobile - Chris

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
The stainless French Presses are indestructible, but .. the insulation is pretty much wasted unless you enjoy keeping the fresh coffee steeping in with the pressed grounds. I've found that you need to empty the French Pressed coffee into another thermal container once brewed to your liking so it doesn't continue to fester ..

AeroPress ... spend the extra 2 dollars and get the model with a carrying case. I wish I did.
That's not a bad idea. Thanks!

I went with a stainless steel French press when deployed with the Army. I now use it when camping. It is practically indestructible.
Sent via mobile - Chris
thanks!
The stainless French Presses are indestructible, but .. the insulation is pretty much wasted unless you enjoy keeping the fresh coffee steeping in with the pressed grounds. I've found that you need to empty the French Pressed coffee into another thermal container once brewed to your liking so it doesn't continue to fester ..
That's a good point. Thanks!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I have a Frieling French press and love it. It's easy to handle and clean and quite sturdy. One time in five years, the filter assembly came off the rod, but that was because the screw came loose. I just make sure to check it every now and then (it probably would be fine to do so annually, if that often). We used it pretty much daily until we got the DeLonghi espresso maker (which has been a bunch of fun to play with), but it's coming back into use at least a few times per week. The 23 ounce model suits our needs quite well.

I agree that the insulated isn't much use for keeping coffee warm, as you don't really want to leave your coffee in there. However, it is useful for keeping the exterior of the press cool--so more safety than convenience. That said, I don't think I've seen many that don't have a double wall. I'd go with the double wall for the safety concern alone.

Sorry I messed this one.

My suggestion

Plastic Melitta #4 and a stainless thermal carafe or air pot

Both unbreakable and easy to stow away when not in use.

I've gotten a great respect for the taste quality of Melitta brewers to the point that when I travel that is what I take with me. I use a porcelain BeeHouse but it is nothing more than a fancy Melitta plastic dripper.

Top Bottom