What's new

non dominant hand lagging

i'm slowly getting better with dominant/right hand. my non dominant hand/left not so much.
i end up cheating and doing more with right hand.

any tips to improve non dominant hand dexterity?

Writing or drawing/painting with it would probably help the fastest using non-drastic measures. I became very proficient in 8th grade with my left hand. Of course breaking my right arm wasn't intentional.

I agree with using the off hand more often for other tasks. Strop with both hands. Use a gyro-exercise ball to build muscle and improve joint stabilization/proprioception. Thought I don’t use them, maybe a fidget spinner will help. There are puttys that can be used for hand therapy too. But mostly practice using it more to shave. Repition builds muscle memory. Maybe try shaving a lathered melon or balloon first for a while?

Oh, and I just remembered reading somewhere. More reps of shorter duration causes quicker muscle memory formation. i.e. 60- 1 minute drills throughout the day more effective than 1 - 1 hour drill. So maybe have a butter knife with you to make the motions on your face throughout a day, or "air razor" it. Just a thought.

i'm slowly getting better with dominant/right hand. my non dominant hand/left not so much.
i end up cheating and doing more with right hand.

any tips to improve non dominant hand dexterity?
Muscle memory will continue to build. That's done by making any moves slowly. It is the same as learning to play a musical instrument. The tendency is to move fast and get frustrated. You can practice using a non sharp butter knife as you set around reading this forum.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’m very left handed and had the same problem. I just kept at it and it just became normal. Just training muscle memory.

I’m very left handed and had the same problem. I just kept at it and it just became normal. Just training muscle memory.
Yep, this.... I'm very right handed, but after a few cuts, I figured, I'd better figure it out or quit..... I figured it out, not sure if I'm better off or not...
http _mashable.com_wp-content_uploads_2012_09_princess-bride-2.gif

I'm left eyed, left legged, and weird handed. I throw left handed, write right handed, and bat or golf equally bad either way. I normally cut in my sideburns with my opposite hand. I can see better that way. And then I do the rest of the shave right handed. After reading this thread, and noticing that "air razoring" felt fine left handed, decided to do a second SR shave left handed. Was fairly good shave, except for the chin. Was somewhat ham-fisted, which the glycerin soap didn't help with. Blade seems to stick to glycerins for me. Reminding me why I hadn't used that soap for so long :)

Being that nothing seem uncomfortable right handed, I'll probably just continue as I have in the past, perhaps doing the cheeks opposite handed as well. I'll see . . .

My advice is to not give up, while it may never be exactly the same as your dominant hand, things should improve fast if you just keep doing it. Just take your time and you should develop skill and muscle memory in no time. Often it's just a matter of repetition, adjustment and focus.

Oh, and I just remembered reading somewhere. More reps of shorter duration causes quicker muscle memory formation. i.e. 60- 1 minute drills throughout the day more effective than 1 - 1 hour drill. So maybe have a butter knife with you to make the motions on your face throughout a day, or "air razor" it. Just a thought.

Truth! Practicing in the shooting sports, or any endeavor for that matter, works the same. Overdoing it brings fatique and a want to give up, or even a tendency to acquire bad habits as a result.

Top Bottom