What's new

Non China made brushes?

I don't think boar hair and knots in European brushes come from China.

Whoever tried boar knots from China has been disappointed.

And why import something with all the caveat/ fees/taxes that is what available locally (pigs)

I don't think boar hair and knots in European brushes come from China.

Whoever tried boar knots from China has been disappointed.

And why import something with all the caveat/ fees/taxes that is what available locally (pigs)

Are you sure about that? Everybody has said that they come from China. I hope you're right. Also I wonder if paintbrushes (and shaving brushes being a type of paintbrushes) were really invented in China and how did they get to Europe so early on?

Are you sure about that? Everybody has said that they come from China. I hope you're right. Also I wonder if paintbrushes (and shaving brushes being a type of paintbrushes) were really invented in China and how did they get to Europe so early on?
No, I'm not sure!
but why rely on hairs just from China when there are boars and pigs in every country.

What I know is...

Yaqi stopped making them sometime ago and they were not on par with European offerings.

Most threads about Chinese boar brushes are not enthusiastic.

No, I'm not sure!
but why rely on hairs just from China when there are boars and pigs in every country.

What I know is...

Yaqi stopped making them sometime ago and they were not on par with European offerings.

Most threads about Chinese boar brushes are not enthusiastic.

I got a Semogue 620 a while back. It'd be pretty cool if the hair is from Portugal or Europe in general.

Do you also know anything about the history of shaving brushes?

Do you also know anything about the history of shaving brushes?
Only what can be found online.
For most of human history, people used a mix of oils to lubricate their face before shaving.
In EU probably brushes started becoming popular among the French aristocrats in the XVIII century.

Some time ago the same question was asked.
for pure practical reason (impossible to guarantee the knot is not Chinese made) I would either let it go and buy what you like or can afford. And the Chinese Yaqi synths are nice and affordable.
you could get a vintage brush from Etsy or eBay an re knot it but you will end up with the same dilemma.

at this moment the only way is go to an American Indian pony borrow some horse hair and glue that in a knot 😂

And you could ask these guys for the knots which are not chinese

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I have three H.I.S synthetic brushes made in Thailand by FM Brushes of New York. Despite being almost ten years old, they lather on a par with today's synths (or at least the ones that I have). I'm sure they've updated their line by now.

They are not heavily marketed, so your best bet would be to contact FM Brushes directly to find a retailer. Their website is fmbrush.com - https://www.fmbrush.com/

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
You got to clarify how you define "China made Brushes".
A lot of brushes are made in Europe (companies like Simpson, Shavemac, Thaeter, Plisson). And many are made in other countries, like Spain, Portugal, Germany and Italy. However, most of these companies using badger hair sourced from China.
Some of the companies - like Shavemac, I know this as I have been there and seeing it - make their own knots.

To my knowledge there might be some badger hair from Europe used in Plisson (and maybe in Vielong) brushes.

So if you would ask what the source of the badger hair is, then I say 99.9% comes from China.......

Noob question: How come non synthetic badgers are (all?) made in China? Is it simply the cost, or other variables like laws and animals?
Thanks.

As far as badger hair is concerned, badger is an endangered and protected species in most parts of the world. Not so in China. They are a pest there so there is an abundance in badger hair. China also has lmade an industry out of furnishing badger hair because of their abundance.

As far as badger hair is concerned, badger is an endangered and protected species in most parts of the world. Not so in China. They are a pest there so there is an abundance in badger hair. China also has lmade an industry out of furnishing badger hair because of their abundance.

I am afraid, that it is not entirely true. The narrative that badger are pests, and are available in huge numbers in China, just like rats, is not accurate. In fact, they raise them in farms, enclosed in cages, for their hair. I am sure they consume the meat as well, but the main purpose is to get the hair, to produce brushes (makeup, shaving, paint...).
And as everything in China, the animals are raised in awful conditions, killed in a very cruel way.
When you get something sourced from any animal in China, you can bet it was farm raised.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Does he just want American made? If not I don't get why he's against Chinese made stuff

I try not to buy made in China products when possible. China simply ignores international trademark laws. I don’t like to support the economy of a country that refuses to play by the same rules as the rest of the world when it comes to trade. That said, not many decent options for brush hair unless it comes from China. My phone is made there as well. I will buy alternatives when I can, and I will buy products made in China when a decent alternative is not available.

Top Bottom