What's new

Non China made brushes?

I am afraid, that it is not entirely true. The narrative that badger are pests, and are available in huge numbers in China, just like rats, is not accurate. In fact, they raise them in farms, enclosed in cages, for their hair. I am sure they consume the meat as well, but the main purpose is to get the hair, to produce brushes (makeup, shaving, paint...).
And as everything in China, the animals are raised in awful conditions, killed in a very cruel way.
When you get something sourced from any animal in China, you can bet it was farm raised.

My source about Badger being a pest in China was Wikipedia. I have no way to validate it. I'm aware that PETA has pushed the story you have heard. I don't know if I can fully trust it either.

As far as badger hair is concerned, badger is an endangered and protected species in most parts of the world. Not so in China. They are a pest there so there is an abundance in badger hair. China also has lmade an industry out of furnishing badger hair because of their abundance.

Just to add a bit, Badgers are hunted in some countries, including inside the EU (Finland etc). The thing is that it may go to other markets? I have never got a clue about the end of the fur, but I do know they are hunted still in europe. I also know some of the so called european badger came from Russia, which is fair enough, as it is the same species and probably ecotype.
cheers

Some time ago the same question was asked.
for pure practical reason (impossible to guarantee the knot is not Chinese made) I would either let it go and buy what you like or can afford. And the Chinese Yaqi synths are nice and affordable.
you could get a vintage brush from Etsy or eBay an re knot it but you will end up with the same dilemma.

at this moment the only way is go to an American Indian pony borrow some horse hair and glue that in a knot 😂

Or buy a Vie Long horse hair brush. Made in Spain from Spanish horse hair.

Top Bottom