What's new

Non-aluminum Deodorant

Do any of you know of any good smelling deodorants that do not contain aluminum. Currently I'm using Crystal brand deodorant. It is really nice in that it doesn't leave a film, has no aluminum, and has a nice smell.

I was hoping to find some similar deodorants with different smells and maybe a little more staying power for when I'm going to be out all day.

Cheers,

John

John, any reason for non-aluminum? Allergies? etc....

My wife just purchased a new deodorant for me with aluminum and it burned, so I was wondering if that was the reason.

Thanks

Its been shown that the aluminums (actually aluminum chlorohydrate) in deodorant are toxic (carcinogenic). So I've been trying to avoid it. Most deodorants do use aluminum so maybe its something else in the new deodorant.

jbasl said:
Its been shown that the aluminums (actually aluminum chlorohydrate) in deodorant are toxic (carcinogenic). So I've been trying to avoid it. Most deodorants do use aluminum so maybe its something else in the new deodorant.

Not to knock your fear of aluminim or anything, but you need to worry way more about the airborn pollution from cars, etc than you do about the aluminum in your deoderant.

Its not a fear of aluminum, I just try to control the chemicals I put in/on my body. If studies show that aluminum chlorohydrate is carcinogenic, its reasonable to seek out alternatives. As far as concern about air pollution, I'm plenty worried about it since I've spent probably the past two years working on issues in environmental ethics and technology. It is certainly not difficult to worry about several things at once...so just in case people actually do something about the environment and we manage to clean up the air, I don't want to die of cancer soon after.

John,
An informative read on this topic can be found here.

Besides aluminum chlorohydrate, two other ingredients commonly used in antiperspirants are aluminum chloride and aluminum zirconium. One of these three is typically the "Active Ingredient". I find that aluminum zirconium (used in Degree) is the only one of the three that agrees with my skin.

Kyle,

Thanks for the link. From that link it looks like the aluminum worries are just a rumor and this might be right. However, I thought I had read an article on the subject in either science or nature (two well regarded science journals) that came to the opposite conclusion. I'll have to recheck my sources (it is possible I saw it in a different, less regarded, science publication.

*edit* A quick look through science and nature shows nothing. It looks like my concerns are unsubstantiated.

Thanks,

John

I like Adidas Ice Wave (smells like lime, which is good) it is labeled as an anti-perspirant but it uses cotton to absorb. It isn't the greatest as an anti-perspirant, but makes a good enough deodorant. I use it mainly because I was searching ages for a non strongly perfumed deo.

Well, toxic or not, my skin feels much better when I don't use aluminum based products. I use Tom's of Maine and Adidas. Neither last the entire day, but get me through work. I just reapply in the evening.

John,
My skin reacted poorly to the Tom's, which was a big surprise. It caused me to break out in a very bad rash. I have tried many different antiperspirants and deodorants, and so far, Degree is the only thing that I can consistently wear without problems.

The link provided gives a good distinction between deodorants and anti-perspirants but it really doesn't address any health concerns. Not sure if anyone remembers about the concern over cooking in aluminum pots and the connection with Alzheimer's disease??? The same concern exists with regards to the aluminum absorbed from antiperspirants (w/c by the way is a cumulative effect.) It is believed that aluminum goes to the brain and has an association with Alzheimer's. Also, we have part our our lymphatic system located under the skin by the armpits. Sweating is a natural bodily function and sweat is basically comprised of water and electrolytes which tecnically can be removed by water alone. That's why I find it interesting that so many people turn to deodorant soaps w/c contain some pretty nasty chemicals like triclosan (recently banned in England.) The odor basically comes from bacteria. If you really want to go au naturel, shave under your arms and use baking soda. Otherwise, a deodorant with alcohol generally works well to control odor by controlling bacteria. Bear in mind when looking at statements by the FDA that "sweat control" is big business in this country. Just my opinion - hope the info helps.

GentsLLC Shaving-Skincare said:
The link provided gives a good distinction between deodorants and anti-perspirants but it really doesn't address any health concerns. Not sure if anyone remembers about the concern over cooking in aluminum pots and the connection with Alzheimer's disease??? The same concern exists with regards to the aluminum absorbed from antiperspirants (w/c by the way is a cumulative effect.) It is believed that aluminum goes to the brain and has an association with Alzheimer's. Also, we have part our our lymphatic system located under the skin by the armpits. Sweating is a natural bodily function and sweat is basically comprised of water and electrolytes which tecnically can be removed by water alone. That's why I find it interesting that so many people turn to deodorant soaps w/c contain some pretty nasty chemicals like triclosan (recently banned in England.) The odor basically comes from bacteria. If you really want to go au naturel, shave under your arms and use baking soda. Otherwise, a deodorant with alcohol generally works well to control odor by controlling bacteria. Bear in mind when looking at statements by the FDA that "sweat control" is big business in this country. Just my opinion - hope the info helps.
The link provided was not presented as one discussing health concerns. It was presented as one discussing the 3 most popular active ingredients in antiperspirants.

While I too have "heard" the concerns of aluminum absorbed/ingested into the body, I've never run across a study that substantiates any of these concerns. Are your statements based on studies that you've read (if so I would be very interested in reading them too)?

My skin reacted poorly to the Tom's, which was a big surprise. It caused me to break out in a very bad rash. I have tried many different antiperspirants and deodorants, and so far, Degree is the only thing that I can consistently wear without problems.

Did you try the Tom's long lasting deodorant (with zinc ricinoleate)? I tried this stuff, and a burning sensation set in gradually. After 30 minutes, the pain became unbearable. I looked in the mirror and my skin was glowing red. It was really hard to wash off, and I was totally panicking. Eventually I got it all off, but what a horrible experience.

Tom's has a warning about zinc ricinoleate on their website. So, for anyone who comes across this stuff... be careful!

I too went back to my Old Spice deodorant... it may not be all natural, but at least I can trust it

Leslie said:
Did you try the Tom's long lasting deodorant (with zinc ricinoleate)? I tried this stuff, and a burning sensation set in gradually. After 30 minutes, the pain became unbearable. I looked in the mirror and my skin was glowing red. It was really hard to wash off, and I was totally panicking. Eventually I got it all off, but what a horrible experience.

Tom's has a warning about zinc ricinoleate on their website. So, for anyone who comes across this stuff... be careful!

I too went back to my Old Spice deodorant... it may not be all natural, but at least I can trust it
Leslie,
That sounds different than the product I used. The ingredient list of the deodorant that I purchased claims lichen and coriander as the odor fighting ingredients and makes no mention of zinc ricinoleate. Interesting find nonetheless.

Kyle,

"Thanks for the link. From that link it looks like the aluminum worries are just a rumor and this might be right" This statement is what I was referring to in mentioning that the article did not address any health concerns. It had nothing to do with you posting the article, Kyle. As I stated, it is believed that there is an association with Alzheimers. The aluminum hypothesis is not conclusive and and as I stated, there is concern. Obviously, whether it's the effects of aluminum or cell phones on the brain, it's up to the individual to decide whether or not to wait for definitive proof based on ones tolerance levels.

GentsLLC Shaving-Skincare said:
...As I stated, it is believed that there is an association with Alzheimers. The aluminum hypothesis is not conclusive and and as I stated, there is concern. Obviously, whether it's the effects of aluminum or cell phones on the brain, it's up to the individual to decide whether or not to wait for definitive proof based on ones tolerance levels.
I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I'm simply wanting the facts to be stated as I believe that this is an area where a scare was once created and there have been no studies (of which I am aware) that have given any credible proof to it.

The aluminum "hypothesis" is not new. I first ran across it 17-18 years ago when a family member of mine was first diagnosed with Alzheimer's, and it may certainly be older than that.

Kyle said:
John,

I have had problems with the Tom's if I put it on before another brand of deodorant. For example if I go to school or work with Tom's on in the morning and then in the afternoon I reapply with a different brand I have a very itchy reaction. Other than that it's fine but does not last the whole day.

The answer may be staring at you from your bathroom cabinet.

I used to get irritation from all the commercial deodorants and anti-perspirants I ever tried which tended to result in increased perspiration, limiting their efficacy. I came across an alum block sold in a health store as a 'crystal deodorant', which a friend had also reccommended. You just rinse it under the tap and then rub it on.

Now I use it everyday and find it the most effective I've ever used, with zero irritation. Plus, it has two other practical advantages over rival roll-on/stick products: (1) it lasts for years, literally; and (2) you probably already have one - it's also sold as a styptic pencil.

Top Bottom