What's new

Non-aluminum Deodorant

Kyle said:
I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I'm simply wanting the facts to be stated as I believe that this is an area where a scare was once created and there have been no studies (of which I am aware) that have given any credible proof to it.

The aluminum "hypothesis" is not new. I first ran across it 17-18 years ago when a family member of mine was first diagnosed with Alzheimer's, and it may certainly be older than that.

Kyle,

I think that you are right in your thought that it is an unsubstantiated rumour/hypothesis. I have a feeling that it is simply a myth that is used to sell more "natural" products. Not that I have a problem with "natural" products, but I hate advertising with lies a little more than I hate advertising with fear.

jbasl said:
Do any of you know of any good smelling deodorants that do not contain aluminum. Currently I'm using Crystal brand deodorant. It is really nice in that it doesn't leave a film, has no aluminum, and has a nice smell.

I was hoping to find some similar deodorants with different smells and maybe a little more staying power for when I'm going to be out all day.

Cheers,

John

I have been making my own deodorant for a few weeks now using isopropyl alcohol, witch hazel, and sandalwood e.o. It works pretty well, and fits your parameters (no alum.) If you sweat very heavily for no good reason, however, this may not work for you.

I have been using the crystal stick for the last few years, and then using a body spray like Axe or (more recently) Adidas Sport Fever. Good stuff.

Josh

Adidas gives me trouble too. Degree seems to work, and so did Arid, but I seem to get deodorant that a.) works for a while, then doesn't after a while or b.) causes irritation. If I can find something that consistently works, I'm sticking with it.

I just got some adidas "Dynamic Pulse." Being listed as three action - anti-perspirant, deodorant, and obsorbant - should go well with the fact that it also doesn't carry a strong fragrance. I haven't put any on yet so I'll give an update with that.

bigDee said:
I just got some adidas "Dynamic Pulse." Being listed as three action - anti-perspirant, deodorant, and obsorbant - should go well with the fact that it also doesn't carry a strong fragrance. I haven't put any on yet so I'll give an update with that.

Deodorant most likely means aluminum.

Kyle said:
I thought antiperspirant meant aluminum (in most cases).

This is what I understand to be the case.

Deodorant usually means some kind of anti-bacterial agent (which helps kill smell), i.e. Triclosan or alcohol.

Kyle said:
I thought antiperspirant meant aluminum (in most cases).

Kyle, you are absolutely correct. What time was that post made? Must have been REAL late. Either that or the wires got crossed in the 'ol brain.

this is what i use...the only non-aluminum anti-persp. i've ever been able to find...although they've stopped making both the 'herbal' and 'tea tree' scents i use, i'll continue using it...i've recommended to them that they should re-expand their scents to include something more 'masculine,' so we'll see...i really love the product

http://www.grandpabrands.com/ndf1024.html

Turns out to be great except I forgot that I wanted something invisible. Other than that it works just fine. I can't even smell it which is also good.

Top Bottom