What's new

NomadicDave's Shaving Journey

Face Shave
Razor: WR2 1.55
Blade: Astra SP (3)
Brush: TNS Galaxy M1
Soap: SW Anthropophagy

I love this TNS brush. It's the most unique one I own. The WR2 is giving me the smoothest and closest shaves lately. Didn't take any pictures of my head shave setup tonight. But I used the Henson AL13 and it got me BBS with no fuss. I used my Dogwood B6 tonight and even though it's a 26mm I enjoyed it on my head shave.

Started to see a nice death ring with this tub of soap! It's getting closer to being added to my kill list.
334677221_732223888345664_7977430407879971807_n.jpg

Regarding your 3017 list, Dave, does the splash keep a similar pace to the soap being 3017-ed? Or do you simply use a different splash when that runs out? I am assuming that 100ml splash goes way faster than that soap tub. So it might be stating the overly obvious - but somehow that question popped up.

Guido

Regarding your 3017 list, Dave, does the splash keep a similar pace to the soap being 3017-ed? Or do you simply use a different splash when that runs out? I am assuming that 100ml splash goes way faster than that soap tub. So it might be stating the overly obvious - but somehow that question popped up.

Guido
Great questing Guido! The splash actually last longer than the soaps do for me. Right now it looks like one bottle of splash will last me about two tubs of soap. Thankfully I do have some soaps with out a matching splash so I can use them. But in a few days this tub of SW Anthropophagy will be dead. That is six tub kills for me this year and I have yet to kill one splash. Hopping to change that in the next month.

Razor: Henson AL13
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: DG Pearl of the Stars B9A+
Brush: TNS L4

Forgot to take a picture from my morning shave with the DG POTS B9A+. So combined my SOTD & SOTN post. Used the TNS L4 for my head shave and it was perfect! This tub will be killed in the next few days.

The more I use this Henson razor the more I want to get the Ti version. This one just feels a too light for me. But I mainly use it for my head shaves. Going forward I will start to consider trying to pick up a used Henson Ti.
333902518_525513106401987_6336064845704926923_n.jpg

2023 Goals/Udates

Well I did a bit of a Den purge over the last few weeks. I got rid of two brushes, a few tubs of soap and a few new/vintage razors that I was not giving enough love to. I'm now down to 8 razors and 2 of those are vintage Gillettes. I kept my gold slim and new long comb. Out of the new razors I kept the WR2 1.55, Blackbird Ti, Masamune, Henson AL13, WSC Winning Razor, Feather Kamasori style shavette.

Eventually I will probably let go of the Henson and WSC to upgrade to a Henson Ti. These two razors are mainly head shavers for me. Or I have thought about seeing if I could just make the Masamune my main head shaver this way I only have 3 main razors and two vintage razors going forward.

I thought it would be interesting to keep track of my Den breakdown. Might make me let go of things easier. My brush collection has grown a lot even with letting a few go over the last week. I also still have 6 brushes on the way that I got over the last few months but they took sometime to make. Once they get here that will be 49 brushes. I do plan to let a few more go over the next month. A new rule I'm trying to follow is if I get a new brush an old one has to go. But an even 50 sound like a good number!

The soaps I just counted and I have 90 in rotation and about 30 backup pucks. I also have a separate pile that is my "kill pile" there are 8 soaps in that pile. I know that is a lot of backup soaps. I thought about selling them but I know I will eventually use them and they are soaps I really liked. The goal is to get my soaps down to maybe 70-75 in rotation. After that see if I can decrease it down again. It's all about baby steps.

I started a "kill pile" to really help me focus on killing tubs of soaps in 2023. It's soaps that I felt are good enough to keep using but not enough to buy again, at least not at this time. Most of the soaps in this pile I also got used. This was another easy choice because they are easier to kill.

Razors:8
Brushes: 43 (six still on the way)
Soap: 90 (eight in my kill pile)

In the next few days I will be adding another soap to that kill list. I still have yet to kill one bottle of splash lol.

I have a few items I want to get for 2023:

-Max Sprecher straight razor
-Mozingo ZT4 24mm knotting service
-TNS custom probably M4 & send in a handles for ether L4 and or H4 fan.
-Catie's Bubbles X splash, V & X backup pucks

-WK Vor V

Lastly, maybe buy the SV limited edition Shaving Brush Arlecchino

Kill List

-Talbot Winter Refraction
-PAA Cube
-B&M Hallows
-Catie's Bubbles Tactical Support
-Declaration Grooming Albizia
-Hoffman's Red Hollow

I find all your statistics to be dazzling and impressive at the same time! Serious achievement to only have so few razors in a place like this! And I think I would too with the specimens you have. I currently have 17 in rotation…

But then brushes! Wow! That’s like a video game! Every time you touch one they multiple into two!! And you have amazing brushes I know from your pictures. You can use a different one every week!

And my Sherlock brain deducts you are a soap man - with 70-75 in rotation. (Thanks for answering my question by the way, that is interesting - no splash yet killed! But come to think of it, I don’t think I have either! Balm yes, but no splash yet).

And most impressive perhaps is your ability to sell off some of your stash and gear. I have to do it the other way around: I am giving restraint a go and use what I have.

Kudos Dave!

Guido

Face Shave
Brush: The Varlet 29mm Ranger

Another one pass with the grain BBS face shave. The more I use the Varlet the better it gets.
333593808_2105153466352589_6615733343396035665_n.jpg

336364381_896594174898124_5589216594385848940_n.jpg

Head Shave
Razor: Masamune
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)
Brush: Mozingo Brushworks/Jesse Chapman pour w/DG B5

New brush in the collection and this pour is stunning! This B5 is exceptional and made for a great head shave. I typically have been using my Henson AL13 and WSC Winning Razor for my head shaves but recently I thought about selling both of them and seeing if my Masamune could be my full time head shaving razor. I have also thought about upgrading to a Henson Ti as the AL13 feels a bit too light for my taste. The WSC razor is a bit too heavy.
333574332_715244863617511_3172730000036899523_n.jpg
336282476_1644759062625322_3759056212336241796_n.jpg

I find all your statistics to be dazzling and impressive at the same time! Serious achievement to only have so few razors in a place like this! And I think I would too with the specimens you have. I currently have 17 in rotation…

But then brushes! Wow! That’s like a video game! Every time you touch one they multiple into two!! And you have amazing brushes I know from your pictures. You can use a different one every week!

And my Sherlock brain deducts you are a soap man - with 70-75 in rotation. (Thanks for answering my question by the way, that is interesting - no splash yet killed! But come to think of it, I don’t think I have either! Balm yes, but no splash yet).

And most impressive perhaps is your ability to sell off some of your stash and gear. I have to do it the other way around: I am giving restraint a go and use what I have.

Kudos Dave!

Guido
Thanks!!! I need to stop buying brushes as my collection has gotten a bit out of hand. Same with my soap rotation. I do seem to be able to kill a tub fairly quickly shaving both my face and head seven days a week. I need to kill some splashes now lol.

Face Shave
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)
Brush: V&C VC01

One pass with the grain and I’m BBS! Topped it off with Tom Ford Black Orchid.

I did not get a pick of the head shave tonight. But used the Masamune with the Gillette Nacet. So far two days in a row and the Masamune has been great for my head shaves. It is a little heavy being 85 grams, that's just outside my 40-80 grams sweet spot.

I'll keep using the Masamune to see how I like it over the next week or so. As of right now I'm considering getting the Henson Ti or even upgrade the Masamune to the Ti version. The Henson Ti is 76 grams and the Masamune Ti is 51 grams. So both are in my sweet spot weight.
336334440_873434163747577_1076307489778256917_n.jpg

Face Shave
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Brush: Trotter Winter Tide T1

Another tub kill. That makes six in 2023. One pass with a clean-up and I’m BBS. I love the pour on this Trotter brush.
336387896_203249145632716_7811059207083932014_n.jpg

Head Shave
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Brush: DG Cotton Candy B15
Soap: Talbot Shaving Authors Ridge

Such a great head shave this afternoon! I love B15 and this pour is dope as hell. The scent is strong spicy & woodsy that fills the air around you.
335991012_605999991034296_265848054702149733_n.jpg

2023 Goals/Udates

Another tub kill means a new update! Also added some more tubs of soap to the Den. I got these on a few trades for some of the gear I wanted to move. Kind of makes my six tub kills counterproductive in a way. But hey baby steps going forward.

I still have not killed one splash.

I updated my soap numbers and I am sitting at 103 right now and I think 4 in my kill pile. I might pif a couple that are in my kill pile that on the first use I was not a fan of them. We will see how this plays out. I also received that new to me Mozingo Brushworks/Jesse Chapman pour w/DG B5. Man, I must say I am loving this brush so far.

I have WK Vor V and Cattie's Bubbles Saturday Morning in my cart but I'm trying to hold off until again I kill a few more tubs. Thinking it's time for a strict "no buy" soap rule for awhile. Thankfully both of these soaps are sold year round. I'm not sure if I should keep that till I get to a certain number or what exactly. I know I want to eventually get down to around 70 soaps to see how that feels. Again I might PIF some just to get there faster on some soaps that are just ok in my scent preference.

The journey continues!

Razors: 8

Brushes: 44

Soap: 103

-WK Vor V

Kill List

-PAA Cube
-B&M Hallows
-Hoffman's Red Hollow
-Southern Witchcraft Anthropophagy

2023 Goals/Udates

Another tub kill means a new update! Also added some more tubs of soap to the Den. I got these on a few trades for some of the gear I wanted to move. Kind of makes my six tub kills counterproductive in a way. But hey baby steps going forward.

I updated my soap numbers and I am sitting at 103 right now and I think 4 in my kill pile. I might pif a couple that are in my kill pile that on the first use I was not a fan of them. We will see how this plays out. I also received that new to me Mozingo Brushworks/Jesse Chapman pour w/DG B5. Man, I must say I am loving this brush so far.

I have WK Vor V and Cattie's Bubbles Saturday Morning in my cart but I'm trying to hold off until again I kill a few more tubs. Thinking it's time for a strict "no buy" soap rule for awhile. Thankfully both of these soaps are sold year round. I'm not sure if I should keep that till I get to a certain number or what exactly. I know I want to eventually get down to around 70 soaps to see how that feels. Again I might PIF some just to get there faster on some soaps that are just ok in my scent preference.

The journey continues!

Brushes: 44

Soap: 103

-WK Vor V

Kill List

-PAA Cube
-B&M Hallows
-Hoffman's Red Hollow

Congratulations on the kill!

Face Shave
Razor: 1966 Gillette Slim
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Brush: Mojo Northern Lights w/DG B9A+
Soap: HC&C Empire State Of Mind

Man the scent on this is a lovely masculine cologne that is bold. I wish I had the matching splash. This handle is stunning and hard to capture its beauty in pictures.

336359572_738947731006542_4428605776924731706_n.jpg
336804527_235189115622293_4430073377195307882_n.jpg

Head Shave
Blade: Feather
Brush: DG Fae B9A
Soap: B&M Frankly My Pear

Such a great setup for my afternoon head shave. Declaration Grooming B9A is an underrated batch in my humble opinion.
336544697_2510368492454970_3771759086834466190_n.jpg

Face Shave
Brush: SV LE Arelcchino 10/28

A great face shave with this setup. This SV brush still is breaking in.
336771349_608767614013814_448489033574290214_n.jpg

Head Shave
Razor: Masamune OC
Brush: TNS Dark Galaxy H4

A luxurious head shave today! The OC plate added more efficiency yet was still smooth. I love this TNS brush!
336761974_602311128102307_17592899929740087_n.jpg

Face Shave
Razor: Blackbird Ti
Brush: The Varlet 27mm XD

The Varlet is always a pleasure to use. This one feels a tad too small but man this brush is stunning and a lovely knot.
337395958_128582290172087_4640939538971780845_n.jpg

Head Shave
Razor: Masamune OC
Brush: TNS Galaxy 29mm H5

This tube is dead!!!! That makes 7 tub kills for 2023.

This 29mm H5 fan is crazy! It's a big luxurious cloud on my head shave. It devoured the last of this soap. Initial impressions of TNS batch 5 hair, It's very soft, and has very little if any gel at all. I need more time with it to give a better write-up. But so far very favorable impressions. The H5 loaded and released the soap with ease.
337359158_761869838564423_9018076280413024586_n.jpg
336911843_1294897591370149_4718604615693645206_n.jpg

2023 Goals/Udates

Another tub kill means a new update! That is 7 tub kills for 2023.

I also received my 4 new TNS brushes today. I got the below brushes today. I bought these on his last drop and it was my birthday weekend.

-TNS Galaxy 29mm H5 Fan
-TNS Disco 28mm H5 Fan
-TanZ w/TNS 28mm M5 Fan
-TNS Sparkling Water 28mm L5 Fan
Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 7.07.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 7.07.47 PM.png

I sold two more brushes. I'm letting go of my DG Cold B14 and my SV Faux Horn. I love those two brushes but another guy in the community has wanted those two brushes for a while. I like helping out when I can and I have plenty of other great brushes.

I received a few soaps that I bought a month or so ago. Areffa is an artisan out of Ukraine. I was looking to support more with everything they have going on over there. This was one way that spoke to me. These smell fantastic!!! I might add I love skulls and Halloween/Scary theme stuff.
Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 7.22.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 7.22.33 PM.png

The journey continues!

Brushes: 46

Soap: 106

Soap Drawer (Backup Pucks): 37

-WK Vor V

Kill List

-PAA Cube
-B&M Hallows
-Hoffman's Red Hollow
-B&M Frankly My Pear

Wow! I've been thinking about trying Areffa - bear tallow! - and the skulls are not helping my SAD. Is it pretty soft?

Congrats on the brush sale - I'm surprised the SV was on the cull list! That makes me want to try a TNS even more.

Great photos, as always :)

Areffa Soaps are amazing! I have Phantom of Kyiv and Discoverer since December for the same reasons you have. You only need a small amount to get a huge amount of lather. And post shave is a wonderful feeling too.

@flask28 - I would say similar to Mike’s in structure but it needs less water.

Super brushes Dave!! WoW! And I must pay attention to BST for future sales.

Enjoy!

Guido

Wow! I've been thinking about trying Areffa - bear tallow! - and the skulls are not helping my SAD. Is it pretty soft?

Congrats on the brush sale - I'm surprised the SV was on the cull list! That makes me want to try a TNS even more.

Great photos, as always :)
Sorry about the late response have not been on my journal in a bit. It is soft soap for sure. I'd call it a cream for sure. I loved that SV brush the only reason I let both of those brushes go was because that guy really wanted to try them so I figured I'd help him out since I have so many brushes. Honestly I could see myself getting that Faux Horn brush again down the road.

Areffa Soaps are amazing! I have Phantom of Kyiv and Discoverer since December for the same reasons you have. You only need a small amount to get a huge amount of lather. And post shave is a wonderful feeling too.

@flask28 - I would say similar to Mike’s in structure but it needs less water.

Super brushes Dave!! WoW! And I must pay attention to BST for future sales.

Enjoy!

Guido
Thanks!!! Today was the first day that I did not use one of them. They are really great brushes.

Top Bottom