NOCvember 2022 - Let’s put our safety bars on for Non Open Comb November

Status
Not open for further replies.
9D9F9913-9F49-429C-9954-4D4F174D398A.jpeg

November 24
Third shave.

Preshave: Shower
Soap: Martin de Candre Vetyver
Brush 2022 RV Shaving Contributors Brush 26mm Shavemac Two Band Silvertip in Cobalt
Face Lathered
Razor Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB / Aluminum and Brass @Rosseforp GTS handle
Blade: Vintage Persona Super Platinum Chrome (2)
Splash: Cattie's Bubbles Un Jour Gris!!! That woke me up!
Rating 9.7 DFS+

I was in a hurry for my Turkey Day shave. Still I was much nearer the elusive light touch. Only one small weeper. Un Jour Gris was frosty, but, no burn detected. Just a great shave.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
NOCvember

This morning’s luxury shave
Karve brass Overlander
Gillette Nacet (1)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
AP ShaveCo Cashmere 30mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: hot shower
Lather: Canada Shaving Soap, face-lathered
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky
Post-shave: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel Cream

A morning shower and morning shave?! Moved blades around in unchained razors and popped a fresh Nacet in the Overlander. Seemed like a great shave as always, but skipping the Ulm Nom revealed my sins. They’re slight and fading.

GRUME (24/25)...I'm Out
GRUBFering, day 1
NOCvember

PXL_20221125_170409324.MP.jpg

King C Gillette
Gillette Platinum (24)
Semogue 830 boar
Mitchell's Wool Fat in OS mug

GRUME25/30 (100%)
I'm proud of you Guido!

Hey Guys
Today's shave was kinda old school. I soaked the Semogue brush for about 10 minutes and I was thinking it was as soft as a fine badger. I got the soap a little thin and it wasn't as slick as most of my lathers. It was still a DFS and no irritation.
Today was a little slip in GRUME but as Brandon, @FoolishMortal would say Onward!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
NOCvember 2022
20221125_152508~2.jpg

Razor: @Above The Tie Stainless SE1 (@Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (5)
Brush: @apshaveco Ruby Ripple (AP Shave Co 24mm Cashmere)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Cyril R Salter Indian Sandalwood Tub Cream
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Fragrance: Classic Match Homme EdT Spray
20221125_152555~2.jpg

Superb shave! :cool:

Please check out full notes on my shaves plus comments, rankings and other stuff in my Journal: never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12024923

NOCvember, Day 26

20221125_195116.jpeg

My Gillette Red Tip made for a solid shave this morning. Three passes were needed to get to an almost DFS result. I caught a very mild redness on my neck's skin, but a balm quickly took care. The blade significantly has lost its initial crispness, hence I binned it today. Better safe than sorry 😉

Enjoy your weekend, y'all!

Date
365 days of shaving333/329
(100%)
GRUME26/30 (100%)
NOCvember
26/30 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 2/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve (1)
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
Gillette Slide (2)
(NW-SE | cheeks & S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95 SC
Razorine Flatboy with Red Lasta handle
Eddison (9)
Bolzano (6)
Omega Proraso
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
Proraso Green
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Face wash with residual lather
Floïd's The Genuine (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)9.5/10 (Very minor weeper)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
9.5/10 (Buttery smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

I was so impressed with the doubling of the Flatboy and the Timeless I decided to do a second shave with them. The Flatboy paired with the Bolzano blade made for an effective first pass. Still running smooth and comfortable. One or two very minute weepers on the chin as the Flatboy shows no consideration for anything that is less than a straight surface.

The Timeless took over and I really had to convince myself I had the blade loaded. It was that smooth! Not a full-blown BBS but excellent results for a regular Saturday of running errands and doing some home cleaning.

I sense the blades are nearing the end of their runs. Not there yet so currently still impressed with these blades. Need to give the Timor some TLC next week.

The last few days of November gents! Personally I cannot wait to start using those open combs again! But first a couple of days more fun with our safety bars!

lasta

Blade Biter
I received another two Tech's today!

Quickly cleaned and loaded the flat-sided flat bottom with a 1970 Super Silver.

I must say, there is a much bigger difference between the flat and groove-sided FBT than English vs US/Canadian Techs. The flat sider is significantly more blade forward, I'd say in the Red Tip/Rocket territory.

Image_20221126233911.jpg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
NOCvember

Last night’s luxury shave
Karve brass Overlander
Gillette Nacet (2)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
AP ShaveCo Cashmere 30mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: hot shower and a few drops of glycerin
Lather: Canada Shaving Soap, face-lathered
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky
Post-shave: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel Cream

Two shaves and a gratuitously needless razor purchase in one day?! That was a small portion of my Friday. That second shave was done gentler than the morning one, but I still managed a weeper on my Adam’s apple. Second shave wasn’t as close and was kinder to my skin.

Day 26, GRUBFering...Still In/GRUME...Still Out
NOCvember

PXL_20221126_141539321.MP.jpg

E Jagger 89
Gillette Platinum (25)
RR Big Bruce
Proraso Azur Lime
Post: cold splashes, lavender cream, hyaluronic acid serum and Hydro Boost

Hey Guys
We had a nice rain two days ago, cloudy skies yesterday and more much needed rain today...and it is chilly. I'm not complaining, it is actually nice to have calm fall weather.
The first note was the nice tart scent of the lather. It made its presence known and quickly faded. The lather was slick and had a nice sheen. Skin tightening and slide/slant passes led to a DFS. The combination of moisturizers and Davidoff Cool Water was the start of a good day.

"Take care of yourself and each other." (quoted from Lester Holt)

33ED5583-3A90-4AEF-9347-6FC5A9A238ED.jpeg

Charcoal Goods Level 3
Shannon’s Soap - Ella Fitzgerald
Maggard Cream marble handle with Turn N Shave boar shoat knot (not pictured)
Lab Blues (ancient blade)

Great shave with a new to me Level 3 Charcoal Goods razor with my ERA handle. Whipped you a nice lather of Shannon’s Ella soap and the tobacco and coffee notes are amazing. I still smell the scent on my face an hour later!!! The shoat knot is nice and scritchy which is just how I like it. Looks great in the Maggard handle.

The Level 3 didn’t seem much different or feel much more aggressive than my level 2 but post shave I have a much smoother face and with only a 1 1/2 pass shave. I never go for BBS but prefer DFS instead. All in all Happy about my Level 3 purchase and still in awe of Shannon’s custom soap blend. Wish she’d make this a regular soap available to the masses. Email her and try it for yourself. She’s amazing!

View attachment 1562651

Charcoal Goods Level 3
Shannon’s Soap - Ella Fitzgerald
Maggard Cream marble handle with Turn N Shave boar shoat knot (not pictured)
Lab Blues (ancient blade)

Great shave with a new to me Level 3 Charcoal Goods razor with my ERA handle. Whipped you a nice lather of Shannon’s Ella soap and the tobacco and coffee notes are amazing. I still smell the scent on my face an hour later!!! The shoat knot is nice and scritchy which is just how I like it. Looks great in the Maggard handle.

The Level 3 didn’t seem much different or feel much more aggressive than my level 2 but post shave I have a much smoother face and with only a 1 1/2 pass shave. I never go for BBS but prefer DFS instead. All in all Happy about my Level 3 purchase and still in awe of Shannon’s custom soap blend. Wish she’d make this a regular soap available to the masses. Email her and try it for yourself. She’s amazing!
My Turn N Shave shoat Boar knot in Maggard's cream marble handle. It’s a beauty!

6020E88D-BB0C-4177-B4BB-0A45F2A9A99A.jpeg

Kind of surprised none of these fancy handle artisans never offer high end boar knots in their high $$$ handles. 🤷‍♂️🤷🤷‍♀️

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
11/25 Friday Evening
No Open Comb November SOTD

Razor:
1947 Flat Bottom Tech with @Rosseforp GTCB handle
Blade: 7 O'Clock Black (3) Ninja side
Brush: Shavemac 22/50
Soap: PdP 63
ASL: Mennen Skin Bracer
20221125_190059[1].jpg

It's been 12 hours since I shaved and my face is still smooth.

While I had planned on using my Mixed Metal ATT SE1 last night, my good friend @Cal asked me to compare my 1947 FBT with my WR2 0.95, so I obliged and loaded my FBT with the 7 O'Clock Ninja that I had just used in my WR2 0.95.
Cal's favorite razor of choice lately has been his 1947 FBT and after using his WR2 1.25 last week, he wanted to get my feelings on how close my WR2 shaves compared to my FBT.
20221126_074423[1].jpg

With three days of stubble and the PdP 63 superbly hydrated and lathered on my face, I started the shave as usual, WTG first pass left side face and neck, then right side face and neck.

Smooth and with very little blade feel on my face the FBT just wizzed through the stubble silently, long strokes followed by short buffing strokes, but most importantly in pure comfort.

Slightly more blade feel but still very smooth on the ATG pass, the FBT encourages Freestyling with touch ups, leftover lather wiped across my face and neck, then a final WTG pass on my neck.

The Witch hazel was warm and fuzzy, the Skin Bracer felt great with Nivea balm finishing of a great shave.

The bottom line, if you are on the fence between an English Flat Bottom Tech and a Wolfman WR2 (gap of your choice) and money is no object, get the Wolfman and the FBT. You will be glad you did
The difference is small, but to fully appreciate your Wolfman, you need an English FBT.

~doug~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom