What's new

Nock Co. Pen Accessories Flash Review

Over the past month I've been acquiring some pen accessories from Nock Co. The backstory on this startup is interesting; they were successful in their Kickstarter campaign which gave them the funds to open the store. They are out of Georgia and everything is made in the USA where possible.

They currently sell TWSBI fountain pens (obviously not USA-made), Organic Studios Inks (made in Maryland), and occasionally some Karas Kustoms stainless steel pens (made in Arizona). But their bread and butter items are their pen and index-card holders, of which I'd like to show off and give my thoughts on.

Except for the Fodderstack, each index-card pocket can hold fifty (50) 3x5 cards with ease, or two books of Field Notes. I wouldn't want to stuff the index-card holders with much more than 50 index cards or try a third book of Field Notes.

The first two are the ones I carry most often:
$IMG_1429.jpg

On the left is the Hightower. It carries three pens with a fold-over flap to give the pens a touch more protection when on the go. This one stays in my bag for work and carries my daily pens (currently a Pilot Prera for corrections, a VP, and a Diplomat Magnum Soft Touch). I have a stack of 50 index cards in the card pocket.

On the right is the Fodderstack. This was modeled more towards a daily pocket carry or one of those "index card wallets" that Levenger sells. It has a pen holder that can carry one large pen or two smaller ones (like Pilot G2s) and about 30 index cards. I'll carry this around on the weekends instead of a Moleskine.

The next two carries are ones I haven't used as of yet:

$IMG_1428.jpg

On the left is the Maryapple. This is a simple carry with two index-card pouches. You can store a pack of 100 index cards or four Field Notes. I haven't found too much of a use for it, but my intention is to carry it with me to work on writing projects by using index cards for organizing the flow of a project.

On the right is the Lookout, which is a basic three-pen holder with a fold-over flap. The pens may not have the protection of a zip-up case, but I'd say they are protected as well as or better than a pen wrap.

Each of their in-house made holders (as the ones above) are made of nylon. The stitching is done in-house and, from what I can tell, will hold up to quite a bit of abuse. The build quality and design are superb. I wouldn't necessarily put them into the Saddleback Leather category since they're nylon, but they'll hold up for a while and I find them worth their asking price.

The one item that I've been stalking their site on is the Idea Dock.

$IMG_1430.jpg

The Idea Dock is a collaboration between Dudek Modern Goods and Nock Co. It's a single pen holder (shown with a Pilot Metropolitan) that holds an index card at the top, so you can work on ideas or write your notes on a computer based on the card that's in the slot. There's a large cut-out in the back to hold index cards. The Idea Dock is made in Arizona from a single piece of walnut wood.

$IMG_1431.jpg
$IMG_1432.jpg

I've shown it above with 50 index cards in the cut-out. It can store a few more than fifty index cards, but it won't store 100 index cards. The top notch can hold a couple of index cards for viewing, but you're only going to see one at a time.

How this works depends on if you want to see your index cards in the cut-out or not.

$IMG_1433.jpg
$IMG_1434.jpg

I think the original intent is to view the card you're looking at such that the pen holder not visible and the cards in the cut-out are accessible from the back. However, I can see where you want to use it the opposite way, in case you want easier access to the index cards or the pen.

I've found that while the Idea Dock's primary purpose is index cards, it can hold a 4x6 pad or similar in the cut-out and single pages in the notch, though I wouldn't necessarily want to go with 8.5x5.5" paper or use flimsy paper if you have a fan or a breeze that can blow the paper around. The notch isn't so deep that it'll hold that kind of paper without it toppling over.

The Idea Dock seems to sell out fairly quickly as they are hand-made and only come in batches of 10 or 20. Is it worth $45 + shipping? I think so, if you use index cards as your primary writing tool. You may want to pass if you like notepads or Field Notes, but Dudek Modern Goods has some alternative ideas for you if you need a different kind of pen and/or pad holder.

Is that Brad Dowdy's site? Fyi they're going to get rid of the pens and inks, except for ones they custom design or commission. They want to focus on their core products that are exclusive, instead of reselling stuff everyone else offers

I like the idea of the dock, in fact i'm looking at similar things right now.
One thing though: this thread made me realize just how much i'm glad to be done with school!
I went through TONS of 3x5/4x6 cards in college. It was the only way for me to organize my thoughts for papers and made studying for tests a lot easier.

Top Bottom