What's new

Nobody told me...

I don't watch shaving videos. I have read a ton here, and maybe watched a few videos linked from here, but not many.

Since I started DE shaving about 6 months ago, I have struggled mightily at getting those whiskers directly below my nose/nostrils. When I used carts, I would just shave my upper lip north to south, the flip the cart over and use the single edge on the back to clean up under my nose, again just going N-S.

With DE razors that is very ineffective, if not impossible, for me.

Last week I made a discovery: If I use the corner of the razor almost IN my nostril and go XTG (east-west) I get em all. Hallelujah!...a true revelation...and it only took me 6 months to figure it out.

I'm blaming you guys for not telling me. 😄😄😄

Of course you are welcome to counter that I just wasn't paying attention.
I learned that on my own some years ago (long before the internet). It was a revelation to finally get that issue solved. Come to think of it, it's probably why I grew a mustache and wore it for 30-35 years.

Anyway, good for you for figuring it out, especially being new to DE shaving. BTW, one razor I own that I can't do that trick with is the 195 "Fatboy". Too big a head. Easiest has to be ball end Techs and similar.

Congratulations! The trick is to find the specific techniques that work best for you!!:thumbup1::thumbup1:
Precisely

proxy.php

I too use a disposable 2 blade razor for under the nose and the nostril area for most of my DE razors. Most of my DE razors have space between the blade ends and the end of the safety bar. I found that the Schick Slim Twin (recently renamed the xtreme 2 sensitive, but it is the same), is my favorite disposable 2 blade for nostril area and clean up. As stated earlier, the RR stainless Lupo (with the scalloped corners on the safety bar) can get into tight spaces with ease. The new V2 Henson also has scalloped corners and does a pretty good job in tight spaces. The higher priced Carbon line of razors is also very good. I am sure there are other razors which I am not familiar with that can do tight spaces, and hopefully someone can add to the discussion.

That is true, and I mostly use my ASD2, a vintage Tech, or a RR Game Changer. Love the thin head on the GC.
I mostly use my AS-D2, a vintage Tech, or a Claymore Evo. I don't have a Game Changer.

The Claymore is well suited to shaving XTG or ATG above the top lip because of its exceptionally rigid blade and slim head. I think a Vector Ti might be even better, though...

I don't watch shaving videos. I have read a ton here, and maybe watched a few videos linked from here, but not many.

Since I started DE shaving about 6 months ago, I have struggled mightily at getting those whiskers directly below my nose/nostrils. When I used carts, I would just shave my upper lip north to south, the flip the cart over and use the single edge on the back to clean up under my nose, again just going N-S.

With DE razors that is very ineffective, if not impossible, for me.

Last week I made a discovery: If I use the corner of the razor almost IN my nostril and go XTG (east-west) I get em all. Hallelujah!...a true revelation...and it only took me 6 months to figure it out.

I'm blaming you guys for not telling me. 😄😄😄

Of course you are welcome to counter that I just wasn't paying attention.
Just in case nobody told you, it's easier with ARKO.

Top Bottom