What's new

Noble Otter Two Kings - a review

Noble Otter vs Stirling ...hmm

If we're comparing Stirling's regular line then performance goes to NO. If we're talking Stirling mutton then it's a much closer race.

Scent wise Noble Otter takes the prize. No question In fact I'd venture to say NO has the best scents in the business. 3 of my all-time top 5 soap scents are NO. Aroma is, of course, so subjective though.

Ymmv etc

I have only two NO soaps, the Barrbarr & the Northern Elixir.
Performance is up there with the best. Very few soaps are better than v3 formula that Cody released.
Milksteak, Siero, Kaizen, Sego, SV 4.3.

That said, I'm waiting some House of Mammoth soaps & First Line Shave 3.0 FLS base along with some Jabones de Joserra Duck Fat new formula. Damn me.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Dear John @JCinPA at this point I'm very, very curious to test this Noble Otter Two Kings soap. On a side note, I've just discovered that, while there are retailers for Stirling here in Italy, there's no retailer for Noble Otter. :sad:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
John @JCinPA which one would you pick between Noble Otter and Stirling mutton? Why?

I'd like to hear thoughts from other experienced members, too.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
John @JCinPA which one would you pick between Noble Otter and Stirling mutton? Why?

I'd like to hear thoughts from other experienced members, too.

Well, Marco, that's tough. On overall experience, I'd say the Noble Otter Two Kings, because the scent is just truly delicious. It's the only shaving soap my wife will pick up, unscrew the lid, and sniff from time to time. At any time of the day, she likes it that much.

On the other hand, and I'd love to know the scientific reason for it, I've never had a better performing shave soap than the Stirling Varen in their mutton tallow line. Ever. I don't love the scent, but as is often the case, it is growing on me. I can confidently say I'll never grow to like it more than the scent of Two Kings (or Sharp Dressed Man, or Don Marco, yummy!), but for whatever reason I've never had a shave experience and after-shave face feel I got from that soap.

I don't think I had that when I sent your samples, unfortunately, because I would love to hear your thoughts regarding the performance of the Mutton Tallow soaps versus SV. Do I remember hearing you ordered one of them recently? I think you said they are available in Europe?

And you're "The Pope of Soap" around here :lol: Have you ever had a sheep tallow soap before, do you know why it performs so well? I've not seen anyone yet who can explain it to me.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I don't think I had that when I sent your samples, unfortunately, because I would love to hear your thoughts regarding the performance of the Mutton Tallow soaps versus SV. Do I remember hearing you ordered one of them recently? I think you said they are available in Europe?

And you're "The Pope of Soap" around here :lol: Have you ever had a sheep tallow soap before, do you know why it performs so well? I've not seen anyone yet who can explain it to me.

John, yes Stirling is available here in Italy. I've ordered the Scots Pine Sheep (mutton tallow) soap and matching balm, it should be here in a few days. I've never used any mutton tallow soap before, so do not know what exactly to expect. I'll certainly compare it to SV, which is currently my Gold Standard for any soap. By the way, I've noticed some similarities in the extremely high quality of the lather in Cella Extra Extra Bio and SV Beta 4.3.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
By the way, I've noticed some similarities in the extremely high quality of the lather in Cella Extra Extra Bio and SV Beta 4.3.

You are not kidding about that, sir! The more I use that Extra Extra Bio, the more impressed I am with it. And the more convinced I am that the price/performance relationship is basically random from a mathematical perspective. If we graphed it I think we'd just see a cloud of data points, nothing you could really regress into a relationship. Sorry, my inner geek coming out. :lol:

I have been such a shaving maniac lately, I decided to take this entire week and use my first razor, Edwin Jagger DE89, with a Schick PP, and just Cella Extra Extra Bio and Stirling Varen. It's a week to let the face have some fun, I think, and quite doing all the experimentation I've been doing.

Top Bottom