What's new

Noble Otter Two Kings - a review

Noble Otter, Barrbarr in particular, has slowly become my go to. It has dethroned the likes of M&M, and Declaration Grooming.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
You're not kidding. I haven't tried a soap that rocked my world this much in several years.

I'm sending a generous sample to @Marco I'm a little afraid at how he will react. I may lose my Lather Maestro title, :lol:

Marco, your razors are in, I'm heading to the Post to ship them in the morning!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
You're not kidding. I haven't tried a soap that rocked my world this much in several years.

I'm sending a generous sample to @Marco I'm a little afraid at how he will react. I may lose my Lather Maestro title, :lol:

Marco, your razors are in, I'm heading to the Post to ship them in the morning!

Thank you so very much, my dear John. If you say this soap is great, I am sure it is! But I'm also convinced that once you try the SV Beta 4.3, and lather it up with your method, this will quickly climb very, very high in your rankings. :yesnod:

Two Kings and The Night Before (sort of a seasonal tradition) on the way!

proxy.php

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
One question for John @JCinPA and all my US friends:

Noble Otter Vs Stirling

In terms of overall performance, which one wins? And why? Please, argue your answer. Thanks!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
@Marco you have two of them coming today! Sterling and Noble Otter.

I am not a chemist and don't understand the science of soap making. However, I've been at this a long time and I know what I like, but I'm afraid I won't be very articulate for you, Marco. I'm pretty articulate on process stuff, like my lather posts, but not on this kind of thing.

But I categorize soaps this way.

• Tier One
  • Excellent
  • Very good
  • Good
  • Average-fair
To give you some context, Tier One soaps, for me, include Cella red, Tabac, Mitchell's Wool Fat. I'll have to use it some more, but Cella Extra Extra Bio may be slipping into that category, and RR Santa Maria del Fiore may be as well. It takes time and use to get into this tier for me, and things can move between tiers over time.

In the Excellent tier, I would place SMdF (for the moment), Cella EE Bio (for the moment), Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme, Haslinger's Schafmilch, Barrister & Man Reserve (they're reformulating, can't wait for Omnibus!), the PAA soaps I have tried also live here.

In the Very Good for me you'll find Proraso green (near excellent), although it's so close, when I try the new Super Formula, I think it will rise into the Excellent category, it is very good, indeed. I always have it on hand, so maybe I should move it to Excellent simply based on that, but there you have it.

In the Average-Fair, I'd put Williams Mug Soap.

So now that you have the lay of my land, so to speak, here is the answer to your question. Totally subjective, very preference YMMV sort of thing, but I would bet that most other shavers would put my soaps in similar categories, but maybe +/- one level for them, likely not a jump of two (you never know, though). But that's my map.

Noble Otter = Tier One without any doubt

Sterling = Excellent

As you've shared with me, Marco, you treasure the classics, although there are some terrific artisan offerings today. And by and large I agree with you, my Tier One, except for Noble Otter, are all classics that have been around for a long time. Well, Tabac is dead now. But so far, the only artisan soap that has risen into my Tier One category is Noble Otter. Why? Because in terms of ease of latherability, slickness, density, longevity of lather, after shave face feel, it simply meets those characteristics of the classics, Cella, Tabac, and Wool Fat, for me. I am on tenterhooks waiting to see what you think of it, my friend.

Sterling is as good or better than almost any other artisan product I've tried. Most excellent. The now-defunct, but well-known around here Queen Charlotte Soaps were in this category as well.

I have no other reasoning to give you except that's how I feel about them. Noble Otter is one of the rare soaps I'd consider stocking two scents in, Sterling, as well. I used to have several QCS scents. If the base is superb, I'll go with several scents from a maker, and I'm dying to try Noble Otter's Monarch now. Two Kings is subtle and exquisite, IMO. You'll find out soon enough!

I'm also sending you some Sterling Sharp Dressed Man, which is their riff on Creed's Green Irish Tweed scent. Of to the Post Office now!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
@Marco you have two of them coming today! Sterling and Noble Otter.

I am not a chemist and don't understand the science of soap making. However, I've been at this a long time and I know what I like, but I'm afraid I won't be very articulate for you, Marco. I'm pretty articulate on process stuff, like my lather posts, but not on this kind of thing.

But I categorize soaps this way.

• Tier One
  • Excellent
  • Very good
  • Good
  • Average-fair
To give you some context, Tier One soaps, for me, include Cella red, Tabac, Mitchell's Wool Fat. I'll have to use it some more, but Cella Extra Extra Bio may be slipping into that category, and RR Santa Maria del Fiore may be as well. It takes time and use to get into this tier for me, and things can move between tiers over time.

In the Excellent tier, I would place SMdF (for the moment), Cella EE Bio (for the moment), Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme, Haslinger's Schafmilch, Barrister & Man Reserve (they're reformulating, can't wait for Omnibus!), the PAA soaps I have tried also live here.

In the Very Good for me you'll find Proraso green (near excellent), although it's so close, when I try the new Super Formula, I think it will rise into the Excellent category, it is very good, indeed. I always have it on hand, so maybe I should move it to Excellent simply based on that, but there you have it.

In the Average-Fair, I'd put Williams Mug Soap.

So now that you have the lay of my land, so to speak, here is the answer to your question. Totally subjective, very preference YMMV sort of thing, but I would bet that most other shavers would put my soaps in similar categories, but maybe +/- one level for them, likely not a jump of two (you never know, though). But that's my map.

Noble Otter = Tier One without any doubt

Sterling = Excellent

As you've shared with me, Marco, you treasure the classics, although there are some terrific artisan offerings today. And by and large I agree with you, my Tier One, except for Noble Otter, are all classics that have been around for a long time. Well, Tabac is dead now. But so far, the only artisan soap that has risen into my Tier One category is Noble Otter. Why? Because in terms of ease of latherability, slickness, density, longevity of lather, after shave face feel, it simply meets those characteristics of the classics, Cella, Tabac, and Wool Fat, for me. I am on tenterhooks waiting to see what you think of it, my friend.

Sterling is as good or better than almost any other artisan product I've tried. Most excellent. The now-defunct, but well-known around here Queen Charlotte Soaps were in this category as well.

I have no other reasoning to give you except that's how I feel about them. Noble Otter is one of the rare soaps I'd consider stocking two scents in, Sterling, as well. I used to have several QCS scents. If the base is superb, I'll go with several scents from a maker, and I'm dying to try Noble Otter's Monarch now. Two Kings is subtle and exquisite, IMO. You'll find out soon enough!

I'm also sending you some Sterling Sharp Dressed Man, which is their riff on Creed's Green Irish Tweed scent. Of to the Post Office now!

John, I love the time, passion and details you put in your write-ups. And I always read them with eager eyes, for the sheer pleasure of reading a wonderfully articulated post. If you declare that Noble Otter is tier one, I'll then believe you with confidence. You are a very experienced wet shaver and you know what an outstanding soap is. There are good reason why I suggested your Custom Title "The Lather Maestro". :wink2:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
We shall see! I will be happy if it makes your "excellent", or second tier category, that will make me feel like I know what I'm doing.

Not completely unfamiliar with Stirling's offerings :biggrin1:. Certainly not as detailed as @JCinPA, but my perspective follows. Value for cost is certainly Stirling - 5.8 oz vs 4 for NO. Both, to me, lather very similarly - but I have water that is less than 2 gpg hardness, and I have no trouble lathering anything. Tie. I prefer NO for fragrance - the notes are more subtle, and less likely to overpower. Many of Stirling's fragrances, although I actually like them and there are a far greater variety (advantage Stirling), are at the high end of my longevity and strength scale. Great for staying power, not so great for proximity to humans all day if your work environment doesn't favor it (a hospital, for example). Advantage NO. Performance after application, and face feel (to me) are slightly better with NO. Advantage NO. Aftershave, a semi-tie - I prefer NO's slightly longer-lasting protection for dryer winter days, Stirling's more alcohol-forward for humid summer days. All in all, pretty close, and I wouldn't give up either. :001_smile

20211002_101714.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Brilliant review @JCinPA. Your glowing praise has me yearning for Noble Otter - a maker I haven’t yet tried, but will now.

Thank you for the gift of a well written post!
I'm obviously a stronger man than you friend... I have not tried it, and after @JCinPA 's glowing review I've decided I can't afford the wrath of wife!

Or perhaps I'm just more afraid of my lovely bride than you are?

"WHERE are you going to put more shaving stuff!?!
Saint Sue Memorial auction can't come soon enough, boy!!!"

Okay, it ain't that bad. It's the tears that get me.....

mine!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Dagnabbit, @Scaramouche you just had to post that, didn't you? :mad: I've been on the hunt for a replacement for QCS Basilica for some time now, and I read about this seasonal two days into the October GRUME. I'll hint around at the SWMBO and kids about it. Hopefully that isn't considered cheating. ??

proxy.php

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Dagnabbit, @Scaramouche you just had to post that, didn't you? :mad: I've been on the hunt for a replacement for QCS Basilica for some time now, and I read about this seasonal two days into the October GRUME. I'll hint around at the SWMBO and kids about it. Hopefully that isn't considered cheating. ??

proxy.php
In my professional opinion as a retired psych nurse, this is perfectly valid.

proxy.php

Of all the seasonals I've used, The Night Before smells to me exactly like Christmas eve. Christmas is never cheating! ;)

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Not completely unfamiliar with Stirling's offerings :biggrin1:. Certainly not as detailed as @JCinPA, but my perspective follows. Value for cost is certainly Stirling - 5.8 oz vs 4 for NO. Both, to me, lather very similarly - but I have water that is less than 2 gpg hardness, and I have no trouble lathering anything. Tie. I prefer NO for fragrance - the notes are more subtle, and less likely to overpower. Many of Stirling's fragrances, although I actually like them and there are a far greater variety (advantage Stirling), are at the high end of my longevity and strength scale. Great for staying power, not so great for proximity to humans all day if your work environment doesn't favor it (a hospital, for example). Advantage NO. Performance after application, and face feel (to me) are slightly better with NO. Advantage NO. Aftershave, a semi-tie - I prefer NO's slightly longer-lasting protection for dryer winter days, Stirling's more alcohol-forward for humid summer days. All in all, pretty close, and I wouldn't give up either. :001_smile

View attachment 1338570
No mutton? You simply must remedy that.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Here Endeth the Review

I rendered my verdict after Shave #2 with this, however, I believe one should get to fully dialed in with a product before making definitive declarations about it. Today, I was fully dialed in. What does that mean?

Some have commented that my Foolproof Lather Method(TM) is doctrinaire. Not true. It is a starting point designed to get folks having trouble lathering a product out of the rut, and for experienced shavers to learn how a product behaves. After getting familiar with it, you lather it like you stole it, which is what I did today.

Bloomed it (not because it is needed, but because I like to use the bloom water as pre-shave) while in the shower. Shook the brush a few times, but it was definitely not dry, and "loaded" but without the heavy stuff you see in the Foolproof thread, I got more of a lather in the tub. Set the brush down, scooped all the stuff out of the tub onto my face and proceeded to face lather. Load was about 30 seconds, face lather about 90 seconds, two quick dips of just the brush tips into the sink water brought it to perfectly hydrated. BaddaBing, BaddaBoom, unctious, perfect lather. This was a daily shave, get the job done lather, and the lather was simply brilliant.

This confirms that the soap is extremely easy to lather, that the hydration window is wide enough that you can get to your preferred lather in very short order, and it was every bit as dense and slick as the first two days. The between pass residual slickness is superb. In short, I confirmed my placing this soap in my Tier One Operators category, something I have not done in many, many years. Most soaps end up in the Excellent category if I really like them.

This soap has been, for me, probably similar to @Hannah's Dad discovery of Sterling's Mutton Tallow line, or @Marco recent epiphany with SV. This has been a watershed soap discovery for me. I hope you'll all give Noble Otter a test drive in your den. It deserves it!

My review is complete, continue to have fun as you wish!

Cheers,

2021-10-02_shav.jpg

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Here Endeth the Review

I rendered my verdict after Shave #2 with this, however, I believe one should get to fully dialed in with a product before making definitive declarations about it. Today, I was fully dialed in. What does that mean?

Some have commented that my Foolproof Lather Method(TM) is doctrinaire. Not true. It is a starting point designed to get folks having trouble lathering a product out of the rut, and for experienced shavers to learn how a product behaves. After getting familiar with it, you lather it like you stole it, which is what I did today.

Bloomed it (not because it is needed, but because I like to use the bloom water as pre-shave) while in the shower. Shook the brush a few times, but it was definitely not dry, and "loaded" but without the heavy stuff you see in the Foolproof thread, I got more of a lather in the tub. Set the brush down, scooped all the stuff out of the tub onto my face and proceeded to face lather, load was about 30 seconds, face lather about 90 seconds, two quick dips of just the brush tips into the sink water. BaddaBing, BaddaBoom, unctious, perfect lather. This was a daily shave, get the job done lather, and the lather was simply brilliant.

This confirms that the soap is extremely easy to lather, that the hydration window is wide enough that you can get to your preferred lather in very short order, and it was every bit as dense and slick as the first two days. The between pass residual slickness is superb. In short, I confirmed my placing this soap in my Tier One Operators category, something I have not done in many, many years. Most soaps end up in the Excellent category if I really like them.

This soap has been, for me, probably similar to @Hannah's Dad discovery of Sterling's Mutton Tallow line, or @Marco recent epiphany with SV. This has been a watershed soap discovery for me. I hope you'll all give Noble Otter a test drive in your den. It deserves it!

My review is complete, continue to have fun as you wish!

Cheers,
Just ordered ‘The Night Before’, thanks to your stellar review, John. I love Christmas anyway, so …

Top Bottom