What's new

Noble Otter Texaus - Review

Bear with me because I'm new at this and frankly an uncultured swine compared to some of the great descriptive reviews that some of you gents come up with. But anyway, I was excited to try this soap and it was also my first experience with Noble Otter, so here's my 2 cents.

IMG_5674.jpg

From Noble Otter:

"Starting months ago, Australian Private Reserve and Noble Otter decided it was time to do a collaboration. The idea was to have APR design the fragrance and Noble Otter would do the shaving soaps and aftershaves. After some discussion we worked out "Texaus". A melody that pays tribute to both Texas and Australia. The scent opens with a creamy sweet citrus and dries down into a beautifully blended base of Australian and Vanuatu Sandalwoods, Musk and Vanilla."

Notes:
Top Notes:
Bergamot, Australian Sweet Orange, Black Currant
Heart Notes:
Petitgrain, Cedarwood, Lavender, Plumeria, Ivy
Base Notes:
Sandalwood, Oakmoss, Patchouli, White Musk, Animal Musk, Vanilla

Ingredients:
Stearic Acid, Beef Tallow, Coconut Milk, Aloe Vera, Glycerin, Potassium Hydroxide, Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, Avocado Oil, Lanolin, Tucuma Seed Butter, Kokum Butter, Sodium Hydroxide, Fragrance, Bentonite Clay, Tocopheral Acetate, Citric Acid, Watermelon Extract, Whitewillow Bark Extract, Tussah Silk.

Net Wt. 4oz

Fragrance made in Australia

Shaving Soap made in USA

I'd wondered exactly what people meant when they described scents as powdery. Now I get it. This is the first soap I've used that I would describe as having a powdery barbershop smell. It's the main event when you first open the tub, with gentle undertones of sweet citrus. Very fresh and pleasant. A shave will tell the whole story, but off the puck it's my favorite compared with the two samples I also purchased (The Trail and Noir).

I had good expectations of performance from always hearing good things about Noble Otter. As expected it was pretty easy to whip up into a nice lather with excellent slickness.

IMG_5676.jpg

My nose is no expert, but upon lathering I felt that the citrus scent faded to very minimal allowing the woodsier scents of the soap to come out, along with a gentle hint of musk. As it concludes some vanilla presents itself to the mix and that's the scent that lingers.

IMG_5677.jpg

The aftershave splash performs similar, with a powder smell out of the bottle. Upon application there is a nice bloom of the citrus aroma, followed predominantly by notes of lavender as it dries. It seems a little thicker than other splashes I've used and it has a nice minor alcohol sting followed by the sooth of witch hazel.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, but overall the scents are somewhat muted. I enjoyed the soap during the shave, but am in the middle about the concluding scent. I'm glad I got the set because I prefer the linger of the aftershave over the soap.

I grew up in Texas and once spent a few months in Australia as part of a research collaboration, so I couldn't not try it by the name and idea of mixing two special places to me!

Hope this is helpful to anyone thinking about picking Texaus up before it's gone!

Great review and can’t wait to get my soap delivered to Australia in a few weeks. No splash for me though due to shipping restrictions!

Great review. Debating purchasing this one...I have every other scent NO has made in the current base.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Great review! I've not yet tried Noble Otter but based on a lot of positive reviews I'm sure there will be a tin in my future.

Cool!! I just try today also noble otter for first time, and it is a great soap. I do have a lot of APR soaps and splashes (the artisan that made the scent of texaus) and I just simply love the scent made by AP Reserve.
I will miss texaus as I cannot get a full comb in Aussie :(
cheers

Top Bottom