What's new

Noble Otter - Plunder and Orbit

I was curious whom out there has tried these two new scents?

I am an avid Noble Otter fan, as it has been my favorite artisan offering for awhile now just due to the performance and excellent scent profiles. I was excited about the release of these two new soaps and received them in the mail today.

I haven't had a chance to shave with either yet as I have just received them, but I can tell you that these will both easily become some of my favorite go to's, even among all of Noble Otter's products that I own, with The Noir Et Vanille being my favorite scent of all time of any soap that I have owned.

Of these two, the stronger scent of the two is the Plunder, which smells smokey, which I absolutely love. I haven't even used this yet and just the impression that hit me off of the initial first smell, I want to buy another tub right away so I don't have to wait for shipping once I run out.

The Orbit is going to be interesting to, aside from coming across as a lighter, excellent scent also. I am curious with this one, as I haven't owned any soaps with the menthol/synthetic blend included, so should make for a good shave.

Again, if any of you have tried either of these, would love to hear your feedback regarding them.

I was at the Maggard meetup where both of these soaps were released. Based on the pre-release scent description, I thought I would prefer the Plunder, but upon smelling them at the meetup, I passed on Plunder and purchased Orbit.

The scent description of Orbit indicated that it contained Frozen Space. Since my face is sensitive to menthol, I questioned Cody at the meetup. He indicated that Orbit did not contain menthol, but does contain an ingredient that provides a cooling effect. I do get some minor irritation from the soap, but not sufficient to prevent me from using the soap. With the exception of the slight irritation, I do like the Orbit scent.

I was at the Maggard meetup where both of these soaps were released. Based on the pre-release scent description, I thought I would prefer the Plunder, but upon smelling them at the meetup, I passed on Plunder and purchased Orbit.

The scent description of Orbit indicated that it contained Frozen Space. Since my face is sensitive to menthol, I questioned Cody at the meetup. He indicated that Orbit did not contain menthol, but does contain an ingredient that provides a cooling effect. I do get some minor irritation from the soap, but not sufficient to prevent me from using the soap. With the exception of the slight irritation, I do like the Orbit scent.
I am excited to try it, and hopefully it does freeze my face and head off, if only for a bit.
I have always been a fan of the smokey scented soaps (Spitfire, Whitechapel, some tobacco scented soaps) and absolutely love this profile, and it does smell like real smoke.
On another note, I bet that Maggard's meet up was awesome, I have never been able to go to something like that, but have a feeling I would have to save up for a bit to obtain that lot of new product I would want to buy if I did go.

I am excited to try it, and hopefully it does freeze my face and head off, if only for a bit.
I have always been a fan of the smokey scented soaps (Spitfire, Whitechapel, some tobacco scented soaps) and absolutely love this profile, and it does smell like real smoke.
On another note, I bet that Maggard's meet up was awesome, I have never been able to go to something like that, but have a feeling I would have to save up for a bit to obtain that lot of new product I would want to buy if I did go.

I live in the Chicago area, so Adrian, MI is a five hour drive. My wife and I spent a couple of days in the Amish country of Northern, IN and then arrived in Adrian on Friday afternoon. that allowed me to visit Maggards when the store was not crowded. So I got to talk with Brad, Cassie, and the other staff. They were busy getting ready for the meet on Saturday, but that did not stop them from taking time to chat. Even my wife enjoyed talking with them. She was quite impressed with the store.

Although I did not need to add to my shaving collection, I was not about to pass up this opportunity. After smelling about 100 soaps on the shelves, I picked up several new soaps. I also purchased one of the Maggard super high density badger knots (28mm) along with a handle to match. My wife grabbed my selections and took them to the counter to pay. They will be my Father's Day gifts, so I am waiting until this Sunday before using them.

At the meet, there were quite a few soapmakers, DE razor artisans, etc. It was great talking with them. I had emailed many of them in the past and several of them recognized me. It is amazing at how closely knit this community is. Along with free samples and the PIF table, several of the soapmakers were selling limited edition soaps that are not generally available. I picked up several of these LE soaps. A&E, for example, was offering soaps that are usually available only to The Shaving Shop Club members, but not through the A&E web site.

The big surprise was Peter Wolf of Wolf Whiskers was there taking orders for semi-custom brushes. It can take months to get on the list to place an order for his custom brushes. If I had not already purchased the Maggard SHD brush, I would have ordered one of Peter's brushes; I may have missed a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Then there was the raffle. I think there were enough raffle prizes for everyone there to get one. I came away with an Above the Tie SE1 single edge razor. It had some cosmetic flaws, but it gives great shaves when used with Feather Artist Club Professional blades.

Just got both of these soaps in the mail yesterday. I have to admit I am impressed. Much like yourself, I was looking forward to plunder and curious about orbit. After receiving the soaps I decided to try orbit first. It has a wonderful scent to it. A bit hard to describe, but I felt that it was a masculine floral scent. The cooling effect is definitely there. My face felt very chilled for about 15 mins after the shave, which is always a welcome feeling living in Hawaii during the summer time. Overall a fantastic soap. This morning I used plunder. Its pretty much what you would expect it to be based on the description. A nice smelling bay rum with a strong shot of "cannon smoke" for good measure. Both soaps are excellent performers. Both soaps smell fantastic and had something interesting to offer that set them apart from other similar scents. Overall both winners in my book. Glad I bought them.

Just got both of these soaps in the mail yesterday. I have to admit I am impressed. Much like yourself, I was looking forward to plunder and curious about orbit. After receiving the soaps I decided to try orbit first. It has a wonderful scent to it. A bit hard to describe, but I felt that it was a masculine floral scent. The cooling effect is definitely there. My face felt very chilled for about 15 mins after the shave, which is always a welcome feeling living in Hawaii during the summer time. Overall a fantastic soap. This morning I used plunder. Its pretty much what you would expect it to be based on the description. A nice smelling bay rum with a strong shot of "cannon smoke" for good measure. Both soaps are excellent performers. Both soaps smell fantastic and had something interesting to offer that set them apart from other similar scents. Overall both winners in my book. Glad I bought them.
My first shave with Orbit is lined up for tomorrow morning, I am looking forward to it. The Plunder smells sooooo good and unique to me, and I am always a fan of smokey scents, I hope that they keep that one in the regular lineup.

My stash of both Orbit and Plunder (soaps and splashes) arrived yesterday direct from Noble Otter's website. So far I've only used Orbit so I'll give my thoughts on the complete experience with it first.

Off the puck it's a pretty complex scent, floral with an almost 'steely' coolness to the accord. Scent strength is mid to mid-strong when dry, and a little more muted when lathered up. The chill factor builds during the first pass and levels off to a noticeable coolness throughout the shave. Slickness is superb, as expected from NO's fantastic base -- though this iteration seems a little bit more thirsty for some reason (though it could have been me and not the soap). Smooth, supple, and a great post-shave feel. The aftershave with its new formulation is every bit as good as the prior splash, with maybe a bit more 'depth' to it, which I love. The chill factor of the splash is several times stronger than the soap, so be warned! I have a habit of covering my whole face with my aftershave, closed eyes included, so for a few minutes it got a little intense -- may want to avoid the eye area with this one! My face and neck were chilled for a good 45-50 minutes post-shave, and the scent is still lingering hours later. Orbit will be an instant hit, I suspect.

I'm not as sure with Plunder, to be honest. I was surprised by the strength of the savory smoke note -- it is definitely the dominant fragrance. I'll give it a try, but I was hoping for more of a Bay rum with smoke, not the other way around. Will update when I get the nerve to try a shave and splash with it.

My stash of both Orbit and Plunder (soaps and splashes) arrived yesterday direct from Noble Otter's website. So far I've only used Orbit so I'll give my thoughts on the complete experience with it first.

Off the puck it's a pretty complex scent, floral with an almost 'steely' coolness to the accord. Scent strength is mid to mid-strong when dry, and a little more muted when lathered up. The chill factor builds during the first pass and levels off to a noticeable coolness throughout the shave. Slickness is superb, as expected from NO's fantastic base -- though this iteration seems a little bit more thirsty for some reason (though it could have been me and not the soap). Smooth, supple, and a great post-shave feel. The aftershave with its new formulation is every bit as good as the prior splash, with maybe a bit more 'depth' to it, which I love. The chill factor of the splash is several times stronger than the soap, so be warned! I have a habit of covering my whole face with my aftershave, closed eyes included, so for a few minutes it got a little intense -- may want to avoid the eye area with this one! My face and neck were chilled for a good 45-50 minutes post-shave, and the scent is still lingering hours later. Orbit will be an instant hit, I suspect.

I'm not as sure with Plunder, to be honest. I was surprised by the strength of the savory smoke note -- it is definitely the dominant fragrance. I'll give it a try, but I was hoping for more of a Bay rum with smoke, not the other way around. Will update when I get the nerve to try a shave and splash with it.
Thank you for your feedback, I am ready to feel the chill of Orbit, I will post my review after I shave with it in the morning.

I cannot say enough about Noble Otter, they have become my favorite, as I own 8 of their offerings. It just works and performs the best for me, and the scents that they offer are not overwhelming are weird. As long as they are around, I will be a customer for life.

Thank you for your feedback, I am ready to feel the chill of Orbit, I will post my review after I shave with it in the morning.

I cannot say enough about Noble Otter, they have become my favorite, as I own 8 of their offerings. It just works and performs the best for me, and the scents that they offer are not overwhelming are weird. As long as they are around, I will be a customer for life.

Happy to help, and completely agree -- Monarch is my all-time favorite soap scent.

Happy to help, and completely agree -- Monarch is my all-time favorite soap scent.
I have a hard time choosing my favorite from them, although I will say The Noir Et Vanille is my all time favorite soap scent. That is followed by their Flying Hide, but I suspect once i have used Plunder, that may dethrone the Flying Hide for second position.

I was wondering about that synthetic menthol stuff. 45-50 minutes cooling sensation sounds like quite a kick. Will definitely check it out.

I bought both Plunder and Orbit. Im in love with Orbit, its got such a nice, clean scent to it with a bit of chill. Plunder is good too. Its a classic bay rum.
Ive become a big fan of Noble Otter. Their soaps are always great performers and they have some wonderful scents.

I had my first shave with Orbit this morning, and as expected, am very pleased with the performance and results of Noble Otter. To me there is no better soap that gives me the best shave with a perfect post-shave feel.

Orbit is unique to me in that it does provide the cooling effect, but it isn't over the top in my opinion, which I like. It does cool you throughout the shave and after, and with the aftershave splash, you prolong that coolness while getting all the benefits of their quality splash.

It is a little weaker on the scent chart, as far as Noble Otter's available scents, but I do like it and look forward to many more shaves with this one. I have Plunder up for my next shave in two days, and cannot wait for that one. I loved the scent the first time I opened the lid and know that it is going to become one of my favorites.

I had my first shave with Orbit this morning, and as expected, am very pleased with the performance and results of Noble Otter. To me there is no better soap that gives me the best shave with a perfect post-shave feel.

Orbit is unique to me in that it does provide the cooling effect, but it isn't over the top in my opinion, which I like. It does cool you throughout the shave and after, and with the aftershave splash, you prolong that coolness while getting all the benefits of their quality splash.

It is a little weaker on the scent chart, as far as Noble Otter's available scents, but I do like it and look forward to many more shaves with this one. I have Plunder up for my next shave in two days, and cannot wait for that one. I loved the scent the first time I opened the lid and know that it is going to become one of my favorites.

Keep us posted about how the Plunder Shave goes. Glad you like Orbit so much. It seems to be a hit so far. I actually just got done using it. Took a late shave today after some fishing and the cooling felt great on the face being in the heat all day.

I have to agree with all y’all! My Orbit soap and Aftershave came in this week, and all I can say is WOW!! The scent is good and the cooling effect nice, this will definitely be a summer soap for me. Noble Otter is definitely a top tier soap that continues to impress.

Tom

My order of Plunder and Orbit came in last week, and I finally got a chance to use one the other night. I used Plunder because I wasn't sure I liked how strong the smoke scent was off the tub, but lathered up it wasn't bad and after it gave me a bit of a faint camp smoke-y scent. Followed it with some Chiseled Face Trade Winds AS because I only got the soaps.

I think I'll save Orbit for the next really hot day we have. It's been somewhat cool and rainy here lately. I'll have to decide later (when I have spending money again) if I want the full size splashes, or see if Maggards has any sample size bottles left.

Hi, I'm thinking to buy Orbit, want to ask if the Eucalyptus note is dominant or not? What smell like?

I am hoping for an answer to this question as well. In general I do not like Eucalyptus dominant soaps but Noble Otter blends scents so well that I hope this soap might work for me.

Can anyone write a scent review for Orbit?

Top Bottom