What's new

Nobilis & Love - A Trifecta of Lime, Lavender, and Rose

I know there are a number of threads on mashups, but I promised myself if I tried to keep the post short (a Herculean effort for me) then I would allow myself the indulgence of posting my own mashup. Speaking of other threads, I know @Ad Astra had one some time ago but I can’t find it (I tried Mike!).

Anyhoo, it’s been pretty hot here, not unusual for AZ, but most of my soaps are warmer/fall-ish kind of scents. Of course, they’ll all get the job done, but it took me a while to understand the subtle psychology of summer/fresh scents versus fall/winter/heavier scents. I wanted something different from my regular rotation but it needed to be bright-ish.

I have a tub of Mondial Nobilis under my sink which I got when I visited Florence back in 2019. The scent is very nice, lime and lavender. But no matter what I’ve tried I have a heck of a time getting stable lather. I’ve tried it all: different brushes, differing amounts of water, painting, swirling, face lathering, bowl lathering—invariably the lather folds like a cheap umbrella in the wind. So, under the sink it went. A shame, too, because I really wanted to like it a lot because I bought it when my son and I visited the Mondial store in Florence.

I knew if I was going to use Nobilis then I needed something to beef it up, to stabilize and create usable, sustainable lather. I also have a tub of Soap Commander Love under the sink; hand to God I swear to you it smells just like a rose! But it also performs very well. I didn’t reach for it often enough so I stuck it under the counter until I made more room up on my rack after 3017ing some others.

IMG_3522.jpeg

Scraped a little Love into my scuttle (showed my scuttle a little love — a little wordplay . . . I likie!) and then loaded my Atomic Rocket with Nobilis as if I hated it, which I don’t. Look, Nobilis, I don’t hate you, I’m just disappointed in you.

Swirled the loaded brush in with the Soap Commander bit smeared into the scuttle and an insanely stupid amount of lather was generated. Just a hint of adjustment to get the scent strength balanced and voila!, almost literally the kind of chin music one likes to hear.

I could hear Geoge Takei in my head . . . “Ohhh my!” Morning joy gleefully swirled and painted upon my aging mug. The rose was easily discernible, but the lime and lavender didn’t cower. I was kind of caught off guard by how incredibly pleasant the blend was . . . and it performed amazingly well, thanks largely to the support of SC Love.

It only occurred to me as I started mixing the two together . . . these three scents were exactly the scents I included in my recent PIF: Coate’s creams Rose, Lime, and Lavender! I think somehow my Bella Dea ever so subtly influenced my mashup decision. If I may appropriate @Adam18’s wonderful descriptor . . . this morning’s shave was wonderfully sublime.

Attachments

• 1625857465456.png
    1625857465456.png
    192.1 KB · Views: 3

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Jeff, it sounds wonderful!

🤔 Sometimes two is the magic number. Frankensoap blends of lawd-knows-how-many soap-ends usually perform well, but are hard to describe, with so many scents going on.

I called it binary blends, but yeah: two soaps can keep the scent recognizable...

AA

Jeff, it sounds wonderful!

🤔 Sometimes two is the magic number. Frankensoap blends of lawd-knows-how-many soap-ends usually perform well, but are hard to describe, with so many scents going on.

I called it binary blends, but yeah: two soaps can keep the scent recognizable...

AA
Ahhhh, see, I was searching for 'mashup'. I should have remembered "binary". Really enjoyed that thread :001_smile

Thanks for the review Jeff. I really enjoyed the read.
Thank you, sir. Appreciate it!

It truly was! We all have shaves we enjoy, many of us enjoy each one. Something about yesterday's with that binary soap was just really satisfying; the French would say it had "je ne sais quoi", that certain something--a quality or attribute that seems to defy description.

Top Bottom